Xonotic is a free, open source (GPL) ultra-fast, first-person shooter

Follow Xonotic on

Poll: new weapon:solar wind (read whole thing first)
maybe
pointless
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
New weapon: solar wind
04-16-2011, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2011 11:44 PM by emrys merlin.)
New weapon: solar wind
I realized that the laser's effect of blasting other people away could be put to good use Angel

This new weapon could be shooting orangish clouds of solar dust, pushing people away or boosting your teammates in CTF etc.

It could have like a really long charging time, and also a certain amount of damage.

Giv me some time to make the model.

E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2011, 03:23 AM
RE: New weapon: solar wind
emrys merlin Wrote:...pushing people away or boosting your teammates in CTF etc.

It could have like a really long charging time, and also a certain amount of damage.

This is what the Xon does already, plus there are at least 5 other weapons that you can use to do this quite effectively:
  • Laser
  • Mortar
  • RL
  • HLAC
  • Fireball
  • Etc

Plus the hook can grab enemies and has a gravity bomb alt fire.

[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2011, 05:00 AM
(04-17-2011 03:23 AM)clanclanclan Wrote:  
emrys merlin Wrote:...pushing people away or boosting your teammates in CTF etc.

This is what the Xon does already, plus there are at least 5 other weapons that you can use to do this quite effectively:
  • Laser
  • Mortar
  • RL
  • HLAC
  • Fireball
  • Etc

Plus the hook can grab enemies and has a gravity bomb alt fire.

I mean pushing not grabbing! I'll only agree with the laser I guess. The HLAC/Mortar don't really push people away, they're more like a different version of the machine gun. RL, xon/nex and Fireball can kill your teammates and the fireball ridiculous slow.

The kind of weapon I'm thinking of is like a massive version of a hairdryer, or a more effective version of the laser if you prefer, and doesn't really do direct damage but rather blows people away. (more like another super weapon)

E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile
04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
The Mortar is beside the Laser the ultimative weapon to push people of maps. Tongue
And the best weapon to boost is Nex for sure.

[Image: 21.png]
IRC (QuakeNet): #bot.xonotic | #xonotic.pickup | #xonotic | #xonotic.cup | #xonotic.hub
YouTube | Twitch.tv | QuakeLive
Movies: Mirification #1 | Mirification #2 | Mirificaption #1 | Mirification #3 | Mirification #4

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2011, 08:28 AM
noooo I meant a weapon that doesn't do direct damage and has a unique kind of projectile!

04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
your ideas sounds more like a proposal to replace the laser. basically something with the exact same function, but with a different effect and an idea for WHY it pushes people around.

Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery
04-18-2011, 04:26 AM
(04-17-2011 11:13 AM)theShadow Wrote:  your ideas sounds more like a proposal to replace the laser. basically something with the exact same function, but with a different effect and an idea for WHY it pushes people around.

No, the laser will never be replaced. It is so fundamental in xonotic that theres no way it should/could be replaced. What I am saying here is that maybe we can expand the laser's most basic effect into another weapon that has a larger push strength.

And that is not exactly how i use the laser.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 782 09-14-2014 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 742 09-03-2013 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
  Weapon damage Damasco 17 1,684 07-31-2013 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot
  Share your opinions only on weapon balance! rocknroll237 67 5,699 02-03-2013 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Weapon models and vehicle cockpit FOV independant from game FOV Lee_Stricklin 2 1,266 07-12-2012 05:02 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon? Loafers 11 1,635 06-01-2012 01:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Obligatory weapon balance thread!!111!!1!oneone! rafallus 48 5,640 03-18-2012 05:50 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  Redesign Weapon Arena Mutator GUI /(+Multi Weapon Arena) luziferius 5 1,880 01-25-2012 05:57 PM
Last Post: Samual
  New weapon idea: Turret builder MirceaKitsune 13 2,767 10-30-2011 03:43 AM
Last Post: vehemoth
  To put or not put in the new weapon models, that is the question? Squigger 15 3,892 07-02-2011 05:20 AM
Last Post: tZork