fe26.pk3

-------
Beta 4

Download: fe_b4.pk3

Changes:

- New lights (no shadows)
- Player clips
- Some details

It should be more playable without the anoying shadows. It's not the prettiest map ever but I'm not going to improve/fix the visuals more.

Although I wasn't present, I know that it was played in a couple of tournaments so duelers must know what are the weaknesses of the map. So, if there is something to improve (gameplay, not visuals) say ASAP. For example, I think that Antibody said in his video that is easy to control the teleporter destination from MH ledge. Things like that. You know better than me.

I plan to release the final version after those changes. I want to say that the map is finished and move along.

[Image: KrPLY.jpg]
[Image: G15Os.jpg]
[Image: Tkfhj.jpg]
[Image: 1tG5d.jpg]

------------ OLD -------------
I'ts a WIP. If the gameplay is not horrible I will try to finish a proper map :p

Download:
http://ompldr.org/vZGw3bw

[Image: kBp6B.jpg?1]
[Image: 41Zpo.jpg?1]
[Image: NBYvz.jpg?1]
somewhere

ok, First of all:

I like the general layout and I like trick jumps in the big armous area. But I have some complains:

1.Only 3 rooms (map is small) but it feels big, because every room is spacious (I guess adding more brushes and details or separating them somehow, making more teleports, more walls will help) Concluding: map is too spacious, make it more cramped. It realy works in gameplay unless you don't overdo it Smile
2. I found the map a bit too high.
3. You definitely have to make a lot of obstacles, right now you can almost see through the whole map and nexgun destroys gameplay.
4. I 'd reconsider adding glass texture.
5. In the nexgun corridor there are leaks in the roof (I hope you knew about it and it's just temporary, not a general idea)

Whats your idea for textures? Cause I assume these aren't final yet? Are you going to use metal textures? Give some 'green areas'?

PS: Gameplay is NOT horrible as you said in the irst post. The map has its potential. +1

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: ok, First of all:

I like the general layout and I like trick jumps in the big armous area. But I have some complains:

1.Only 3 rooms (map is small) but it feels big, because every room is spacious (I guess adding more brushes and details or separating them somehow, making more teleports, more walls will help) Concluding: map is too spacious, make it more cramped. It realy works in gameplay unless you don't overdo it Smile

I'm going build inside those walls so is going to be smaller. Still, I will try to add more complex architecture and reduce empty spaces.

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: 2. I found the map a bit too high.
It could be.

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: 3. You definitely have to make a lot of obstacles, right now you can almost see through the whole map and nexgun destroys gameplay.
Pipes and such Tongue

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: 4. I 'd reconsider adding glass texture.
Solid wall? Block the visibility?

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: 5. In the nexgun corridor there are leaks in the roof (I hope you knew about it and it's just temporary, not a general idea)
Yes, I know. Badly aligned brushes.

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: Whats your idea for textures? Cause I assume these aren't final yet? Are you going to use metal textures? Give some 'green areas'?
Probably metal textures, like the exx set. Maybe some terrain in the biggest area.

(05-02-2012, 09:46 AM)Justin Wrote: PS: Gameplay is NOT horrible as you said in the irst post. The map has its potential. +1
I'm ocasional player and I tested only with bots so I'm skeptical about my maps.

Thanks.
somewhere

Before anyone gets started on fixing or remixing this map, it would be nice if Cortez could clarify on the licensing terms. There is no license attached to the map currently.

Quote: it would be nice if Cortez could clarify on the licensing terms.
Smile

(05-03-2012, 02:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Before anyone gets started on fixing or remixing this map, it would be nice if Cortez could clarify on the licensing terms. There is no license attached to the map currently.

Huh
Sorry, but what has Cortez to do with this map?
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

This mate... Big Grin

(05-03-2012, 02:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Before anyone gets started on fixing or remixing this map, it would be nice if Cortez could clarify on the licensing terms. There is no license attached to the map currently.

far too kindly. well, most of the doesnt include a license info. This is only monads work. I have nothing to do with it.

You could stick to the depature style. i like it a lot and it'll probably lead to a good map.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Hahaha, sorry. I was in two threads at once. This is embarassing.

My bad.

Ah - heh Smile
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

Some progress:

[Image: qcumgm6gahux9so1t1hl_thumb.jpg]
somewhere

:o looks nice!
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

WOW! That's what I call a progress.

fe26 b1

Now with more iron.

Download:
fe26_b1.pk3

[Image: euutmrze8803ujsvpxm_thumb.jpg]
[Image: f35grgp17yr3iogphtsk_thumb.jpg]
[Image: n5f5nve91ld5vv5tgct_thumb.jpg]
somewhere

took my first look at it today ... this map works out very well ... your structuring job is great ... although the overall detail is still on the low side ...

This map became one of my favourite ones which are Stormkeep, Runningman, Solarium, Drain and Afterslime.
It can easily compete with them and it should become as popular as them in the future.

Pieces of advices:
I don't think you should add too many details right now at this stage.
Rename the map!
I fell off the map. And in some places you need to place trims.
The layout feels much better then previously (obviously).
Are you going to leave mega health where it is currently? I found it a bit too exposed, or mabye it the effect of that it just lays on the ground, no signs, no special platforms for it... dunno. Its up to you, mate.
You have a great mapping talent, Monad!

I suggest waiting for others feedback and I wish to see this game on EVERY SINGLE DM and 1v1 and 2v2 server!
So pls, people. Play this map and find out what I am talking about!

The layout looks interesting. But why does the teleporter below 100a directly lead to the megahealth? If you keep it like that then both megaitems can be picked up within a timeframe of 2-3 seconds. Breaking control will be very hard, unless you got your hands on the electro which is also very hard considering its current placement on the map.

I've been looking forward to this release ever since I tried your race map, which thought was amazing. I'm not into race much, but I could tell you have a good eye for scale and flow, you certainly know how to get that right! So much that I thought it could be turned into a great TDM map with some modifications, every room had different paths leading to another, etc. That's why I was excited to see you were working on a DM map.

So anyway, this new map has so much potential, pretty much completely agree with Justin. I can't give much feedback yet, won't have time to play for a few days, I only jumped around on it for a few minutes. I'm very curious to see how this will play in duel (hard to tell until I learn item placement and such), but it's already obvious this will be a good FFA map for sure. Will definitely try it out in duel asap and hope to give feedback about item placement and flow. Srkdy already put it on one of his servers (not sure which one, probably Washington) and I'll also put it on mine (Chicago), so we'll be able to try it soon enough.

As for the visuals, I think you are making very a conscious choice to keep it simple in terms of details, so I disagree with Hutty here. You seem to be concentrating on contrast with all the good trimming to define edges in the right places (try it with high gl_picmip_world, whoever doesn't understand what I mean, almost every surface is nicely defined by different contrasted textures), nothing is too bright nothing is too dark. Items and players will stand out and that's great. Personally I love that style, I think once you're sure the gameplay and item placement is good and want to add the finishing touches, you should probably work on giving it good lighting (with visible light sources/spotlights), figure out nice compile settings and it'll be perfect. Some areas/tunnels could use so more of those nice trims, but more than that adding a lot of small extra details would not help the map at all in my opinion, but it all depends what are your intentions. Anyway, good job so far!

I like the layout. I'm not a fan of the color scheme though, it's just rust and grey. I wish it had a more futuristic look. I love all the glowing stuff in maps like darkzone and afterslime. Maybe even make the pipes transparent and add flowing acid or something.

Also, both mega rooms look very much alike. This adds to the overall confusion when learning the map. My first thought is to just put a ceiling in one of the rooms, perhaps the smallest room.

And I was able to jump out of the map from the mega health(from the pipe above it in the corner).

Otherwise, no other complaints, though I haven't play tested it.

I think you should move one of the teleporters into a middle room rather than having teleporters right next to both nex entrances. It also allows one to easily get to both megas, much like on final rage. Move one teleporter into the room with the jump pad? Either way, we were looking at this map on Washington XPM (srkdy, Galtalth, and myself) and noticed how easy it is to camp the nex. I don't like the tunnel at all. I think it makes it really easy to keep an eye on, and really easy to cut someone off. For whoever's leading, it provides them with a massive advantage, especially on a large map like this with lots of space. The teleporters also allow easy access to both megas, and there aren't enough shards around the map to come back if you miss the spawn.

How about breaking the tunnel up a bit? Adding another path somewhere and obstructing the view to the nex itself from one or all entrances?
[Image: optsig.png]

I agree with Chryyz. Definitely add more armor and health around the map, maybe a 50 armor and 50 health opposite of the megas.

Also, the floors in the corridors are slightly elevated, so there is a little ledge. In one spot, by the mortar, you can't walk over the ledge, you have to jump. This is terrible in a fire fight.

Idk what the intended use of this map is, but I would like to see it become a viable option for dueling.

Awesome layout. Please put this map on servers, people, this map truly has a lot of potential. I love that you even thought about including interesting ramp jumps that are easy to master!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I uploaded it on the exile servers but it isn't available for voting there and doesn't show up in my "create game" tab either. It is possible to force the map using the "map" command but this requires an admin with rcon access.
-> Please fix the mapinfo

EDIT: Cortez666 fixed it: http://ompldr.org/vZHd2Yg/fe26_b1_fix.pk3

(05-25-2012, 05:37 AM)asy7um Wrote: I uploaded it on the exile servers but it isn't available for voting there and doesn't show up in my "create game" tab either. It is possible to force the map using the "map" command but this requires an admin with rcon access.
-> Please fix the mapinfo

You forgot to define the timelimit and fraglimit values for gametype dm
I fixed that for you
http://ompldr.org/vZHd2Yg/fe26_b1_fix.pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I love the layout of this map. It's a lot of fun to run around in and the trickjumping potential is great. I'm not too sure about the tele to the megahealth, but it's at least punishable which is good.

Suggestions:
- Add a few 25health pieces. One problem when playing this map right now is the lack of health bubbles. It forces you to hide and wait for your health to regen after a battle. It's also really bad for the player out of control because 1 nex shot means that they're completely useless in battle for the next 10-20 seconds.
- Add one 50health piece. If you place this in a tactical location, it can be used for recovery/prediction after battles. (I'm thinking something like the 50h on ztn or t7 in QL)
- Add one 50 armour piece. At the moment, it's a little challenging for the player out of control to get back into a fight. Due to the scale of the map, having a 50a would be beneficial to flow and playability as it gives the down player a chance to fight back.

Other than that, I love it and can't wait to see the end result.

It's available to be played on my [0.6] Washington, D.C. and [0.6] San Jose servers if anybody wants to test it out. Just about everybody who shows up and plays on it has been very positive about it, so great work!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Duel] Mint (was: [Duel] Unnamed WIP map) monad 10 11,470 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Last Post: monad