• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CTF]Catharsis

New CTF map: Catharsis

SCREENSHOTS:

[Image: catharsis1.jpg]
[Image: v2_preview.jpg]
[Image: v4preview.jpg]

DESCRIPTION:

Medium size, clean and simple in its architecture: The new map I made with splendid crystal and rock models by Morphed. It's been around the servers in its beta version for some time, gathering its feedback and now its the time to relase official version. Because of Morphed's rock models the map's perfrmance is now stronger (increased fps) I would like to thank to Rokenn and Ablu for uploading beta on their servers (Overkill and DCC) and players who spent some time playtesting the ma pand giving constructive feedback.

MAP FEATURES:
  • Barrels are breakable (highly explosive stuff). You'd better be carefull with shooting to those Smile
  • Clean, futuristic style with simple geometry, textures and shaders
  • weapon indicators I made to show weapon spawns and stardust on the players spawns. The same indicators I used for map Cubes
  • some arrows pointing the way to the bases, other halepfull features and texts telling 'red base' , 'blue base' etc....
  • Rocks were previously made of brushes, right now they were replaced with models - great thanks to Morphed
  • Many intentionally added trickjumps as well as trickjumps I didn't intend to do (thats the amazing thing about trickjumps: While making ramps, platforms, variety of architecture the hidden tricks will always show up . Smile
  • Nets are shootable (can shoot through) and the destroyed ones you can PASS through

DOWNLOAD LINK: CATHARSIS-V06.PK3
(31.5 MB)

Feedback as always will be appreciated.

The map should be avaliable on the following servers now:
  • DCC's Laid Back Delight CTF
  • {esk} CTF Minsta+Hook - DALLAS [Autobuild]
  • [unconnected] votable pickup Server | UC
  • [MoN] Overkill [MOD]

I noticed a couple of issues:
There's some strange shiny parts in the rocks.
The particles around the player spawnpoints are no longer needed, as this was implemented into the code recently.

Other than that, it's a very nice & fun map to play, nice work.
[Image: 230.png]

Holy shit. But check some of the fences - still some block projectiles.

Quote:Clean, futuristic style with simple geometry, textures and shaders

You started to write your own shaders? Smile Told ya it is fun!

GG in general.

Won't do a review since I'm not really a CTF player, but I have some very tiny feedback.

The text on the map doesn't fit, except the text with the maps name that looks really cool, but the bases and the text that says "crylink" makes the feeling lower IMO. Also the Xonotic logo, it's not that it doesn't fit but maybe don't put it straight onto the wall.

Besides that it feels really fun, ran around a while and jumped on the trickjumps etc. Good job! Smile

Looks cool, Justin, but how can you map so many maps at the same time?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Thank you, guys for positive feedback.
aa: I've been working on Catharsis for more than a month allready. And map Cubes I made in 2-3 days (+ 2 newer versions = one week). I can map very fast, but with Catharsis I was carefull and quite slow, wanted to make it as perfect in gameplay and performance as possible.
You will see: With mapping is like with everything else: You do it a lot - you do it fast. Anyway: When I start mapping I like doing it fast for there are plenty of ideas of structures and architecture coming out of my head!

Mario: Thanks for the info about particles. Will fix it in next version (as well as the shadows on the models)

Machine: Im glad you enjoyed trickjumping. I like dancing around my maps too Smile

That question was mostly rethorical, i know by myself that it is possible to map pretty fast, especialy if you dont get distracted, like me, for playing and other stuff.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Amazing. Gotta play this map asap. I start to become a Justin fanboy :o)

Edit: also splendid name, I love it!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Sir, I regret to inform you the neighborhood aliens have deposited their crystalline eggbabies all over your lovely walls. Tongue

I am a mapper too and I see what you mean - i sometimes have bouts of creativity where i will frantically work for an hour or so then calm down.

first impression after some quick jump-around: i would add some health to the central hall, at least a bit.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

I want to give you a quick update from what Im doing now:
  • Clipping
  • Adding more health and armor
  • creating some more architecture
  • adding QUAD
  • Changing some weapons placement
  • Fixing light on the models
  • Removing stardust (as Mario said: they will be default in 0.7)
  • Fixing bugs, overlaping brushes and minor issues (like floating barrels)
PROGRES SCREENSHOTS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_05.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_2.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_3.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_4.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/v2_6.jpg

All of these and more will come with v2 relese.

Most of the gameplay changes are based on yesterdays pickup matches on this map. thats crucial to have many tests ingame. Bots seem to be way too stupid for proper feedback. Smile

Probably is already fixed but a small imperfection:

[Image: gGqeQDn.jpg]

Good job!
somewhere

(05-21-2013, 01:42 PM)Justin Wrote: All of these and more will come with v2 relese.

non gpl content ? Big Grin
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Thanks Monad, Kuniu!
Im sorry to say Cortez but this version does not consists of non GPL content. But Im pretty sure you could make cool remake with as much non GPL stuff as possible. Wink
I would like to give big thanks to Ablu for uploading the map on overkill and hopefully he will do the same for v2 version.
Screenshot:
[Image: v2_preview.jpg]
What really changed:
  • Everything I mentioned in my previous post
  • Its not very obvious how to get to Quad, not the way I do things, but I had no choice, I hope you guys will figure how to get strength on the map quickly.
  • I managed to resize .pk3 file a bit (from 28 to 22.8MB).

Download (first post)

First post updated
PS: If someone has a decent video with gameplay of this map then feel free to post it here.

Can you elaborate on what part of the map you think violates GPL, cortez?
My Xonstats Profile

(05-22-2013, 09:25 AM)Halogene Wrote: Can you elaborate on what part of the map you think violates GPL, cortez?

It's the crystal models.

(05-22-2013, 09:25 AM)Halogene Wrote: Can you elaborate on what part of the map you think violates GPL, cortez?

i dont think that there is stuff which isnt GPL, but i hope Jusin adds some non gpl stuff.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

To clarify this: Crystal models were made be Morphed. Morphed is a member of our community and he made these models by himself and there isn't and will not be any non-GPL content in this map. Period. I don't want to piss off Samual (he allready has plenty of things on his head right now) although it seems that some of our community members would very like to, am I right, Cortez? Wink
Anyway: Lets talk about quad, shall we? Is itgood or bad idea for this map?

Quad:
[Image: 1614060-3H2EMFW.png]
It just doesn't feel right to run into a rock to teleport. Interesting entry btw, I like it.

Also, while searching for the doorway to quad I found a hawk's nest on the way:
[Image: 1614061-5G1XIDB.png]
[Image: 1614063-BBHQA2Y.png]

Adding non-GPL stuff for the sole purpose of pissing off Samual?! What the f*** is wrong with you people? I really don't get it why people are trying to piss off one of the most active developers Xonotic has... o.O

Anyhow, I need to playtest this new version, but the last one played just great - love the flow of your maps, trickjumps, multiple routes, everything is really perfect. Just need a bit more armor or health to pick up on the way as the flag room is somewhat easy to defend / hard to pass through and steal the flag. But I think that's one of the things you already fixed. Great job on this map here, hope to have this in 0.7!
My Xonstats Profile

(05-22-2013, 03:23 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Quad:
It just doesn't feel right to run into a rock to teleport. Interesting entry btw, I like it.
Also I found a hawk's nest:

Format your pictures correctly. you think i can see what you're pointing at in the middle of the screen when the picture spills off past the margins? >.<

(05-22-2013, 03:40 PM)Halogene Wrote: Adding non-GPL stuff for the sole purpose of pissing off Samual?! What the f*** is wrong with you people? I really don't get it why people are trying to piss off one of the most active developers Xonotic has... o.O

chill brah, cortez doesn't represent everybody's interests

Quad: the entrance is obvious but I my first exit was bumping against a rock. Later I found that the teleporter is above. Something to indicate the exit could be helpful.
somewhere

(05-22-2013, 03:40 PM)Halogene Wrote: Great job on this map here, hope to have this in 0.7!

Impossible. Wink

(05-22-2013, 04:13 PM)monad Wrote: Later I found that the teleporter is above. Something to indicate the exit could be helpful.
Oh.. it was above, okay. There's a nice catch in how the entrance impacts the gameplay whereas you're blocking opposing team going for the quad, makes it kinda unique and interesting at the least in my imagination.

(05-22-2013, 04:08 PM)ballist1c Wrote: Format your pictures correctly. you think i can see what you're pointing at in the middle of the screen when the picture spills off past the margins? >.<
How about you format your.. ugh.. margins correctly?

Mirio is right. I talked to Samual and right now its too late for such changes. Mabye the map will become offical in further xonotic versions. Smilecythe: Thanks for pointing the camping place out. I will fix that surely(although I was never able to get up there, you must be very skilled in movement, mate). I shall put arrows pointing up in the quad cage or make shader above it to indicate teleport. I just thought that it has to be obvious: You have to jump up to get to quad, therefore you have to jump up to get out. But as a mapper I know the map very well (every single brush), therefore its much more obvious for me then for anyone else. Lesson learned. Halogene: The health and armor problem should be no problem anymore in v2.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,635 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,126 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,380 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario