Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you donate $$$ for new monsters?

Ok here's the deal. Mario hooked up a deal with Morphed to create 5 new original monsters for Xonotic. Each monster will be original to Xonotic and high quality. The cost of each monster will be 110 EU.

Obviously this is not chump change for all 5 but I'm wondering if people would be interested in donating for at least 1 monster. If we can get 110 EU donated I'll donate another 110 EU myself so we can get at least two monsters done.

If I wasn't paying $100 per month for servers I'd chip in for two right away but I'd like to keep my balls intact when the significant other hears I wasted more money on yet another "I want to save the internet" project.

If there's enough interest I'll set up a donation link/page lol maybe even use kickstarter.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Ok so we got Jeff from Jeff and Julius server who will donate for one monster and I will match that so we can get two going and more for another one would be awesome.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Could you perhaps explain a little about the monster mode? I will not donate anyway, but monster mode is something I've kept hearing about for some time but never actually seen or tried myself.

The purpose of this is to get some quality monster models, so as to open the possibility of some official Xonotic campaign including them (the current models are useful only for testing, their quality is that of Quake 1).

There are currently no testing servers or official maps for the monster mode (invasion), but it is an official gamemode as of latest Git.
In the invasion gamemode, random monsters spawn from set locations and attack the players, with the winning score being monster kills.
[Image: 230.png]

Okey, thanks!

Sounds cool, and 110€ per model is quite cheap! I'll chip in 30€ if you provide us with a paypal address or something like that.

(11-13-2014, 06:15 AM)poVoq Wrote: Sounds cool, and 110€ per model is quite cheap! I'll chip in 30€ if you provide us with a paypal address or something like that.

Nice thank you!. Were on the way to 3 monsters hopefully.

Might just result in Kickstarter taking their cut with no real benefit to the donation drive.

(11-13-2014, 03:23 AM)Mario Wrote: There are currently no testing servers or official maps for the monster mode (invasion), but it is an official gamemode as of latest Git.

Actually I did have the Mofos Fun House server which was Invasion with some maps that had monster spawns added in. I wasn't a serious server but I've had an idea for a stupid server with quick invasion games for a while BUT was needing maps to be moded for it.

On the server I had Rocket Arena Xon which has the monsters spawning near jump pads and are herded towards them so they fly in the air towards the player in the arena.

I was working on Min Man room map modified to one room. The player would spawn on the window sill and that was the play area. The monsters would spawn at the other end of the room and run towards the player (they can be guided in the map) You as the player had to kill them before they get to an area with jump pads. This give you a chance to shoot them in the air as they fly. If you miss them they land on a teleport and spawn next to you in your play area. Im pretty much finished with the map but need to dig it out although it was more suited for minsta than weapons.

(11-13-2014, 01:08 PM)poVoq Wrote: Might just result in Kickstarter taking their cut with no real benefit to the donation drive.

Hmm didn't read on how much they take. Was thinking maybe someone not from the xon community could also donate if we worded/set it up properly.

Meh, I'd rather pay for mainline assets.

I also want to ask about this campaign idea. Do we know for sure that monsters should be at the core of the singleplayer mode? Does this not warrant a team decision?

(11-13-2014, 01:27 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Meh, I'd rather pay for mainline assets.

I also want to ask about this campaign idea. Do we know for sure that monsters should be at the core of the singleplayer mode? Does this not warrant a team decision?

Singleplayer is just one of many possibilities. Monsters are already a part of the game, they just currently lack real uses (besides random traps and invasion mode, of course).

Alrighty, thanks for clearing that up. Best of luck!

Sorry for being negative in the previous message, I kind of thought of not sending it at all. I guess I'm just a bit bitter about Morphed having become so distant that he's now behind a paywall of sorts. I don't blame him though, he's a pro Smile

I asked Morphed about this.
He is now a professional game designer, who can't spare the time anymore to do more of his work at home for free.

I would support Xonotic, why not, but I barely play it anymore. The community is too small to fund the development I'm afraid.

Adding a more "mainstream" multiplayer mode to it, that can be easily played by beginners against bot might be a way to get some players back though. IMHO the biggest problem Xonotic has is that Minsta-gib is too "elitist" and new players probably never try again after playing once online on the only servers that are populated.

(11-14-2014, 06:56 PM)poVoq Wrote: Adding a more "mainstream" multiplayer mode to it, that can be easily played by beginners against bot might be a way to get some players back though. IMHO the biggest problem Xonotic has is that Minsta-gib is too "elitist" and new players probably never try again after playing once online on the only servers that are populated.

Problem with minsta is it can't be casual and in order to play good ie cap in ctf you really got to put in an effort for a long time to even able to cap once. That gets pretty tiring after some time.

Maybe having a NIX mutator server would be a good idea one for CTF and one for DM/TDM/FT.

As for donations even $5/5EU would be nice as we could possibly have a third monster by say Jan/Feb.

I would like to see a concept art first. This is how you get attention and supporters. People won't pay money when they don't see what they are paying for.

I will donate for one monster (i.e., 110 EUR), 'tis the season. Quite frankly I have an itch for traditional single player (like Quake SP) games and projects like OpenQuartz just stalled years ago and having GPL-licensed, high-quality monsters would be very nice (and if Xonotic does not end up having single-player logic - after all, this might still be out of scope for Xonotic - I hope it's okay to drop those assets into a GPL'ed Quake mod to mix things up).

BTW, I'd also donate for other in-game assets, should a deal to that effect be considered.

(11-24-2014, 05:46 AM)SavageX Wrote: I will donate for one monster (i.e., 110 EUR), 'tis the season. Quite frankly I have an itch for traditional single player (like Quake SP) games and projects like OpenQuartz just stalled years ago and having GPL-licensed, high-quality monsters would be very nice (and if Xonotic does not end up having single-player logic - after all, this might still be out of scope for Xonotic - I hope it's okay to drop those assets into a GPL'ed Quake mod to mix things up).

BTW, I'd also donate for other in-game assets, should a deal to that effect be considered.

Hi

Thanks that makes it three monsters. I've set up a donation email for paypal donate@xfiles.zone (its a new tld so looks strange)

Also yes concept art should be shown first for those that want too see it.

Okay, you should have received my donation. Looking forward to the results!

(11-24-2014, 12:08 PM)SavageX Wrote: Okay, you should have received my donation. Looking forward to the results!

Hi

Ok I received the notification email but on PayPal website its not showing any info that a payment has been sent to me and not way to accept it. That email is verified and was working but I had the same issue before where I received some donations that they stopped and I had to use my primary email. Lame I guess I'll have to phone PayPal and see what's up. I need to go out for about 4 hours and do some work. I'll post here when I find out what's up if not I'll post my primary email address.

Ah, isn't PayPal just adorable, those little rascals!

Thanks heaps for your donations, they are very much appreciated. Xonotic will have usable monsters!
Hopefully we can get your issue sorted out soon SavageX, great work paying for a full monster!

Since everyone has been so generous, I'll give you all a treat; the concept art I sent to Morphed for the first 3 monsters:

Wyvern:
[Image: wyvern_small.png]

Mage:
[Image: mage.jpg]

Shambler (new name TBD):
[Image: shambler.jpg]

Will post updates as they become available.

(11-24-2014, 02:59 PM)Mario Wrote: Thanks heaps for your donations, they are very much appreciated. Xonotic will have usable monsters!
Hopefully we can get your issue sorted out soon SavageX, great work paying for a full monster!

Since everyone has been so generous, I'll give you all a treat; the concept art I sent to Morphed for the first 3 monsters:

Wyvern:
[Image: wyvern_small.png]

Mage:
[Image: mage.jpg]

Shambler (new name TBD):
[Image: shambler.jpg]

Will post updates as they become available.

Ok sorted out the email issues with paypal. Got the money Thank You.

Ok I donated my portion just have to wait 3+ days for the transfer from bank account. Jeff from Resurrection server will be donating for two monsters. So well have enough for 4 monsters.

The 4th monster's concept art has been sent to Morphed:

Spider:
[Image: spider_small.jpg]

It's looking like we might even have enough to replace the final monster!

Thanks to all who are contributing to this, Morphed has started work on the models.