Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[UPDATE] DeoxItems v2

Photo 
About
Here are the simple items I started working on a week or so ago. Their purpose was to provide a clean, highly visible set of icons, without using text as the 0.7 ones did. Going into 0.8, where there is planned to be 2/2.5D models only, if sev's icon set remains as masterfully detailed and stylized as they are currently, i will continue to use these as they are much simpler and similarly styled. I plan an easy switch over - i have already prepared plasma/infinite/arc ones for later use. I have also used the colour palette from sev's concepts for most of the icons. This was stupid, new update uses hybrid of current and sev's palette for best visibility

All of the files have been converted from their vectors to 1024x1024 .tga's - no pixelation here!

Preview Screenshots
Weapons
Shotgun
MG
Mortar
Electro
Crylink
Nex
Hagar
Rocket Launcher

Items
Shotgun Shells
MG Bullets
Rockets
Cells

Shards

25 Health
50 Health
Mega Health

25 Armour
50 Armour
Mega Armour

Powerups
Strength
Shield

3-Step Install
No modification of main pk3 necessary Big Grin
1) Download the zzz_simpleitems_deox_v1.pk3 and put it in xonotic/data folder.
2) Add lines "cl_simpleitems_postfix "_deox" " and "cl_simple_items "1" " to your autoexec (the former is not really neccesary, it's just an extra measure to ensure it works)
3) restart Smile

Thanks
Mario - for helping me to get my shit working
kojn - for sharing progress of his project alongside mine
sev - design/career inspiration

Download

Changes in v2:
- Better colour scheme
- improved scale
- cleanup

.pk3   zzz_simpleitems_deox_v2.pk3 (Size: 389.8 KB / Downloads: 48)

:o)

Why not 2048x2048??

... Okay, just kidding Tongue

These look really nice actually; if I were using simple items I'd definitely give them a try! Just one remark: I think the hagar rockets should be rotated in the same way as RL and nex beam (same angle), so it's more consistent.
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

update with armour screenshots.

(03-27-2014, 12:51 PM)zykure Wrote: Just one remark: I think the hagar rockets should be rotated in the same way as RL and nex beam (same angle), so it's more consistent.

I will try and do that, if i have time Smile

Actualy, i think it is meant to symbolise how innacurate hagar is...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(03-28-2014, 01:39 PM)aa Wrote: Actualy, i think it is meant to symbolise how innacurate hagar is...

it's possible Tongue

Nex being just an awry line looks a bit off, maybe draw a circle around it?

Model example:
[Image: medal_impressive.jpg]

(04-11-2014, 09:13 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: Nex being just an awry line looks a bit off, maybe draw a circle around it?

Model example:
[Image: medal_impressive.jpg]

i dont agree, that sort of thing goes back to sev's concepts where he put borders around all of them; i think it makes it more indistinct. that particular example can be more detailed like that because it's supposed to be an achievement award in q3/ql onscreen so it can look ornate with the pointy edges and such; it's not the railgun simple items icon which is this:
[Image: iconw_railgun.png]

i can maybe make it a bit bigger if you like, or i can give you a tga for yourself with a circle around it so you can insert it in if you want to.

UPDATE TO V2
- Better colour scheme
- improved scale
- cleanup

dl above.

I really like how these look
[Image: 29271.png]

<Samual> Everybody better be playing I Wish by Skee-Lo, it is the song of my duels!

Big Grin

Nice!

* Antibody checks if these could be included in game
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(08-29-2014, 08:05 AM)Antibody Wrote: Nice!

* Antibody checks if these could be included in game

wow, i didnt make them for official inclusion, but if you will include them i will definitely do a final refresh so that they appeal to everyone. Smile

I've wanted to try these out for a while and I finally did it, played a couple of games with them so here is my feedback.

First I must say I'm impressed by the visual look and style, they look very aesthetically pleasing.

Gameplay:
  • OK to spot items, but simplifying details would lead to slightly better visability
  • Mortar and 25 health looks very similar, maybe change color of mortar bit more
  • Bullet and shell ammo maybe look slightly too close to their weapons
Style:
  • Armor and health feels slightly different in style (in an inconsistent way)
  • Strength and shield look awesome and fits great with the rest
  • Rocket ammo looks a bit off
Detail:
  • Weapons are different in size, looks weird when close together (for example if item is dropped)
  • Some items are a bit too detailed, especially gaps on electro and mega health

I hope you continue to work on them because I think they have potential, I just hope you go in slightly more simplified direction (since sev's items will be very detailed these could be more functional but still nice looking alternative).

EDIT: Forgot to mention it felt like Xonotic loaded a bit more slowly with them. I also had tiny FPS drops (5 frames to be precise within maybe 20 second time frames), but I got no idea if this is due to the items or just the fact that I load more pk3s.