Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRON MAN Cup Idea - work in progress

Hey Xonotic Forums!

i want to know if you are interested in taking part in organizing or PLAYing a cup in which several games are part of. Please note also the games you want to be part of. Also whether you prefer a duel cup or a teamplay cup.

Here's the reddit post i made some days ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ArenaFPS/commen..._one_game/

UPDATE:
We started a poll over at http://strawpoll.me/3166779 to find out which games are desired...

Please do not reply if you think this is not possible or if you dont like the idea Smile

So the games i would want to see in a cup are all opensource Smile
Warsow - QuakeWorld - Xonotic - OpenArena
And i prefer a duel cup to begin with Smile

ps: there could be a GamePool and people would pick-pick-drop-drop etc... for example Smile
I think this could be great great fun!

So who is interested?

HF!

I'd be interested Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Why should people not reply if they think it's not possible? Huh

Actually I think this is a very cool idea! I just wonder if there are enough people that actually play all of those games? But probably most people interested in Xonotic also try out other open source FPS. That would be interesting, since they all play a bit or even totally differently. Also people tend to be especially skilled in their favorite game, resulting in interesting skill discrepancies between matches of the same opponents in different games.

A very positive side-effect of a cup like this would be that this could bring otherwise rather isolated open source FPS communities together, people learning about the qualities of the other games and their communities.

I'd encourage you to recruit from each game's community some "local" cup moderators that already have, within such game's community, built up some reputation for successfully organizing cups. For Xonotic, I could think of Mirio here, I'm not sure if he is interested, but let's see :o) . I would be willing to assist as good as I can, but I have unfortunately no experiences in setting up tournaments.

I would recommend to go for duel game mode, since I guess it will be tricky to find enough players that actually play all games and would want to compete in them. For duel game modes it is also much easier to set up playing times. I'd further suggest to make the entire thing not happen on a fixed date but to sort out who's playing who and let the opponents agree on a playing date (that way I can participate, too :oD). Also we should keep the map pool small, so people actually manage to get to know the game AND the maps if they haven't already.

This is a very inspiring idea, I hope that it pulls off. Looking forward to a productive inter-community exchange in the spirit of sportsmanship!

---

Edit: It seems I would have to buy quake in order to use a QuakeWorld client... I'd prefer if the cup would not require a purchased copy of a game if being about open source software communities...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Yea I think thats the idea Halogene, get people to see the qualities in other games and get the smaller communities involved with each others games. It's actually a very good idea/theory.

Will be interesting to see what happens.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Another suggestion: in the announcement can you please include for each game a description of where/how to get it together with a ressource of how to play it (utilizing game mechanics and stuff) as well as how to configure things to your needs? For example I have just spent 30 mins in researching how to set up fov in openarena (it's not in the menus and I confused openarena with alienarena in web search... <_<). I would be willing to contribute the Xonotic introduction part for the announcement post.
My Xonstats Profile

Cool Feedback!!!!
We started a poll over at http://strawpoll.me/3166779 to find out which games are desired...

@Halogene - i prefer to talk with people about how to actually achieve this, and in my experience there is many many people that are negative and just slow things down ... hope that explains this phrase Smile

(12-11-2014, 06:05 AM)Halogene Wrote: Another suggestion: in the announcement can you please include for each game a description of where/how to get it together with a ressource of how to play it (utilizing game mechanics and stuff) as well as how to configure things to your needs? For example I have just spent 30 mins in researching how to set up fov in openarena (it's not in the menus and I confused openarena with alienarena in web search... <_<). I would be willing to contribute the Xonotic introduction part for the announcement post.

yep sure thats sounds like a very good idea!!!
Will remember that... (btw dude you did the amazing Noob Area?? its so good <3 <3 <3 followed every step Smile

I suggest #arenafps on Quakenet as a Channel to idle in...

Hm maybe i participate Smile

I prefer duel btw.
[Image: 22172.png]

Looking at your poll I start to get my doubts - I had expected this to be a medley of different open source game communities, now it seems that there are actually mostly commercial projects with some open source ones on the side. It's not that I prefer open source over commercial as a matter of religion, it's just that putting commercial titles into the pool would mean some players would just not participate because they don't have the game and don't want to get it just for the cup. With open source projects on the other hand everybody can just get it for free, just as I now did with red eclipse and openarena. I happen to have only Unreal Tournament 2004 and UT3 from the list besides the two free ones (or is any other available for free actually?).

(12-11-2014, 08:36 AM)JoeMaro Wrote: (btw dude you did the amazing Noob Area?? its so good <3 <3 <3 followed every step Smile
Yep, that's me - thank you for the feedback :oD
My Xonstats Profile

As long as I get decent fps, I'll play all kind of crap.

Well, Warsow is a broken shitheap. If it stops being a broken shitheap (runs with more than 10fps) and you write Painkiller instead of OpenArena I might be up for it.

edit: QW, Xon and CPMA would be a win trio.

Daikatana lool!

...so, that's it? 2, maybe 3 people interested, 4 if I include myself. That makes in optimistic interpretation 4 people from Xonotic community being interested while other projects get defamed spontaneously along the way? Splendid.

I was imagining that we could handle the organization (server, streaming, casting) from the Xonotic side, encouraging other communities to do the same on their side. Then the people organizing this (I'd be in to help out) would stick their heads together virtually (IRC) to put down the ruleset and the map pools and initiate the announcement on the relevant forums together with short introductions of the games. The games to take part should be open source ones or at least freely available and platform independent. I think the best set would be Quakeworld, Warsow and Xonotic - Red Eclipse could work too, but then we'd need a fifth one in order to make picking work reasonably.

Too bad the response is so low and that even for the Xonotic community, which considers itself as being open and friendly, the divide between the player communities of open source games apparently is too big.

:o/
My Xonstats Profile

Quote: ...so, that's it? 2, maybe 3 people interested, 4 if I include myself. That makes in optimistic interpretation 4 people from Xonotic community being interested while other projects get defamed spontaneously along the way? Splendid.

That's because we already play the best game. "Big Grin"

Personally I would prefer playing some "unusual" games together, like Half Life Deathmatch, Painkiller, Quake 2 or even Daikatana. Having played Quake 3 / Live for years, a cup with those games (including the clones) wouldn't really be special to me.

Hey!

just came here to ask for input on finding a catchy name for a wsw/QW/xon cup Smile

from my POV the response so far is very good.
people from QuakeWorld are vey motivated as well and like the idea... rikoll (best QW player) is in Smile

at the moment i'm starting the design the announcement banner stuff, but i need a name Big Grin

dont forget i posted this yesterday Big Grin the idea is good ... lets do it!

so the idea is

[Image: BzYI3qR.png]

* 3 games: Warsow - QuakeWorld - Xonotic
* Best of 3 - each opponent chooses game - tiebreaker is 3rd game
* MapPool needs to be defined

please note how you could support the idea, if you can Smile

oh and: dont rush! good things take their time ...

Mkay,time to download Warsow again and practice in Quake and Warsow again.

Time to get Warsow to work again. It's such a headache though and nothing has worked before either.

Oh god Warsow's movement and physics urgh feels strange after so much Xon....

Too bad it isn't Open Arena over QW because i never played QW and i don't intend to. I would participate but my knowledge about QW is 0 out of 100.
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

OpenArena doesnt have any competitive scene playing it... at least none that i know of ...

I think the point of this cup is that you need to have knowledge about the other games. We will prepare guides and support on how to setup everything up for competitive play. Hope you change your mind and dont take your argument for a real reason not to try it Smile HF!

--------------------------------------
The warsow community reaction is coming along. Sounds good and i would say that they are in.

Next step is getting an admin team with one member from every community.
We need a list of maps that are the most played / representative Xonotic maps. This should be decided by the duelling xonotic society Smile

Dont announce this anywhere yet please, we need time to work on it. Let the idea cook until its ready to be served.

Oh now i know why i did not play Warsow for that long again.....
And QW really isn't my game...

would be cool if we could keep the thread for developing of the idea Smile
thank you in advance!

IMO team based modes would attract more players, duel is quite hardcore in those games, especially with people like Rikoll. I would suggest something like ctf (xonotic) / tdm (warsow) / team fortress (qw), if you want to go with those three games.

Bomb in wsw could be fun, it's quite casual but a bit more interesting than the standard CA.

i love competitive team play but for now i find it too much trouble setting up and feel kind of drawn towards working for a 3game duel cup.

A map-pool of 2 maps per game should be enough. That means that a player unfamiliar with any of the games (q3player) has to study 6 maps (well minus aerowalk on QW Smile)

So what are the 2 most representative and played duel maps on Xon?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ZenSports x RJZ 2v2 TDM cup #1 RazorDodger 0 1,276 08-18-2021, 02:12 PM
Last Post: RazorDodger
  [FEFU] Xonotic LAN Duel Cup AriosJentu 1 2,218 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  ZenSports mock Duel Cup kanyeshrayz 0 1,853 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  ZenSports Xonotic Duel Cup 5.000.000 SPORTS prize. kanyeshrayz 2 4,253 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,373 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql
  3v3 CTF/Insta+Hook Cup Sl@va 7 5,522 03-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Last Post: Sl@va
  2v2 TDM Cup | RJZ Cups ccCam 3 3,216 01-31-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: wxyzzyrd
  Ch4mp's Xonotic Duel Cup #1 PayTheBill 1 2,899 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  LETS GO SLAP ONLY CUP! thimo 3 2,720 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Lightbringer
  Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 Mirio 15 10,247 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Mirio