Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WebP Screenshots

Hi. I downloaded the Google's WebP encoder to try out on some screenshots.

Original jpg, 272 KB
Converted to WebP, 210 KB

This concept is great in theory, but libvpx does not compress red well (yet?).

Especially the graph on the bottom right side looks less colorful.

You really have to wonder if it's worth it for a ~23% saving in file size :S

It could cut bandwidth usage, but I don't like the loss of saturation Tongue
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Those lossy formats have a "quality" parameter, at least jpeg has. So the question is how does the quality compare if you adjust them to create the same file size?

Or how does the file size compare, if you adjust it to have the same quality? ^^
[Tue Aug 5 2008] [00:15:01] <Ronan`> RoKenn, you're an evil person Tongue

(10-01-2010, 07:07 PM)RoKenn Wrote: Those lossy formats have a "quality" parameter, at least jpeg has. So the question is how does the quality compare if you adjust them to create the same file size?

Or how does the file size compare, if you adjust it to have the same quality? ^^

The above WebP file was at -quality 98. The jpeg encoder used in Nexuiz is also set to very high quality.
At -quality 100, the file size reaches 246 KB and the quality increase is nearly imperceptible.
If the issue with red encoding is fixed in libvpx, the gains in compression ability over jpeg would be significant.
Then the next issue becomes decoding speed.

Interesting format only for photos to be displayed on the Internet. In all other cases, PNG is better
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

(10-01-2010, 02:58 PM)Dave Wrote: This concept is great in theory, but libvpx does not compress red well (yet?).
A compression algorithm that happens to dislike a colour?

WebP does look interesting though. About time there is a replacement for JPEG that is open source and I only hope that other parties start supporting it.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Desktop screenshots ModplanMan 218 151,534 03-26-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Pendulla
  vintage nexuiz screenshots (2003) frostwyrm333 17 20,229 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237