Create an account

Poll: Would you have more reason to practice/play if prizes were given
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
7 36.84%
No
63.16%
12 63.16%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Tournaments and prizemoney

(03-08-2011, 06:39 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Probably means player's from other game's who just will play purely for the money, and demand a lot, flame etc etc
(03-07-2011, 09:47 AM)PCLizard Wrote: I think that prize money would be a great tool for motivation, but only when used at the right time. It would have to be when a game balance/physics is decided and accepted by a majority of the community, and then after that game balance/physics has been played for a while (competitively). If we had to do a tourney now, it would probably have to be using a nexuiz config and some of the nexuiz maps, since that's what people know how to play. I'm sure once xonotic has established competitive gameplay, there would be enough people interested in prize money that it could very well happen.

I would donate money for sure, and I know some others who would probably do the same, too.

Good post, fully agree.

I also agree with PCLizard.

(03-08-2011, 08:46 AM).Danny. Wrote:
(03-07-2011, 08:23 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: A monetary reward would bring positive attention to Xonotic. On the downside, it could attract an untargetted audience.

What untargeted audience do you not want playing xonotic?

Children, for example, but that is not what i was referring to in what You quoted. By "attract an untargetted audience" i was thinking of people, who would join because of reasons that may be incompatible with the ideas, intention or philosophy of Xonotic and provide feedback based on those incompatible reasons, which may lead to confusing results.
An example:
Let's assume someone is very interested in gaining money and joins without much experience in games of this genre, let alone Xonotic. The person wants money fast, so "getting into the game" should be easy, fast and shallow.
In contrary, somebody who has experience with such games or who may have followed the game may be interested in a long-term involvement. This person is more likely to want complexity and depth in the game play.
Yet another player who may have experience in another game will constantly compare this to that other game, which will also lead to conflicts.

Anyone should play and enjoy this, but we can't satisfy everyone. This game is not about pony riding, yet.
4m038105 - Be the change.

(03-09-2011, 11:26 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote:
(03-08-2011, 08:46 AM).Danny. Wrote:
(03-07-2011, 08:23 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: A monetary reward would bring positive attention to Xonotic. On the downside, it could attract an untargetted audience.

What untargeted audience do you not want playing xonotic?

Children, for example, but that is not what i was referring to in what You quoted. By "attract an untargetted audience" i was thinking of people, who would join because of reasons that may be incompatible with the ideas, intention or philosophy of Xonotic and provide feedback based on those incompatible reasons, which may lead to confusing results.
An example:
Let's assume someone is very interested in gaining money and joins without much experience in games of this genre, let alone Xonotic. The person wants money fast, so "getting into the game" should be easy, fast and shallow.
In contrary, somebody who has experience with such games or who may have followed the game may be interested in a long-term involvement. This person is more likely to want complexity and depth in the game play.
Yet another player who may have experience in another game will constantly compare this to that other game, which will also lead to conflicts.

Anyone should play and enjoy this, but we can't satisfy everyone. This game is not about pony riding, yet.

I disagree with the notion of not having prize money on the basis that it will attract an "untargetted" audience.
The exception is children playing for money i.e. underage gambling. On that I agree with you.

However, i don't think its true that ' "getting into the game" should be easy, fast and shallow'.
If people want to play Xonotic on a competitive basis for money then why stop them?
Online Desktop FPS are very difficult games to be good at. People need to practice long and hard with dedication if they want to develop the skills needed to play at a high standard.
In my view, prize money wouldn't justify that much time spent on one game. I think it would be more profitable working minimum wage at macdonalds than playing Xonotic for purely monetary gain.

Thus people would never play Xonotic only for prizemoney hence we wouldn't attract "untargetted" audience.

I think your last 3 lines goes off topic so I haven't bothered replying to that portion.

You're probably right. And personally, i tend to like the idea of prize money.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Me too, I would put some towards the fund as already or be prepared to be like a 'host' for funding a tounament..not at the moment though, Xonotic tilts me (poker term) to hell at the moment atleast the fruitiex balance..just nex nex nex due to nothing doing any damage and machinegun being the only other hitscan that's appaulingly bad, so will look forward to Samual's release and hopefully some activity will increase with each release.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(03-11-2011, 01:01 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Me too, I would put some towards the fund as already or be prepared to be like a 'host' for funding a tounament..not at the moment though, Xonotic tilts me (poker term) to hell at the moment atleast the fruitiex balance..just nex nex nex due to nothing doing any damage and machinegun being the only other hitscan that's appaulingly bad, so will look forward to Samual's release and hopefully some activity will increase with each release.

I would bet on winners. I enjoy just watching good players sometimes. Though I'm not skilled enough to play in tournaments.