Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Freeze tag

Freeze tag is a part of Premium subscription in Quake Live, right? So maybe we should make a Freeze tag server and then spread the news inside the QL community, or at least promote it more actively, as a feature? Maybe even create a poster with shiny "frozen" people, or use them on other posters/screenshots more often.

Quote:spread the news inside the QL community

Dear QL community, ladies and gentlemen, kids and old farts!
Guiz com look how we rip off ur gamemode kthx.
Sincerely yours, ze Xonotic team.

That was really childish and rude, Canistra. I'll give you -1 for that. Hah.

Ow, it tickles! D-don't touch me there!

Harmata is right, that was uncalled for. Let's not get into this whole debate of stealing ideas, I don't see any moral wrong in providing users what they like.

Right. Especially, as QL didn't invent Freeze Tag.

I played Freeze Tag a lot in Quake 2 times. And don't even know whether the mode was made before Q2.

Outside video games, I am pretty sure I played Freeze Tag as a child, at times when the Atari 2600 was a very viable game console. So much for "stealing ideas"...
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(12-23-2011, 04:47 PM)divVerent Wrote: Right. Especially, as QL didn't invent Freeze Tag.

I played Freeze Tag a lot in Quake 2 times. And don't even know whether the mode was made before Q2.

Outside video games, I am pretty sure I played Freeze Tag as a child, at times when the Atari 2600 was a very viable game console. So much for "stealing ideas"...

I remember playing freeze tag too...only when the it tagged you you had to stay still...
bye / bad luck and have boredom

Everything was already invented in one form or another, right. My point was that when luring people from other community with something they already know as paid service part, this might very well look like a plain rip in hope of getting more players easy way.

Your "point"?
Quote:Dear QL community, ladies and gentlemen, kids and old farts!
Guiz com look how we rip off ur gamemode kthx.
Sincerely yours, ze Xonotic team.
I don't see "when luring people from other community with something they already know as paid service part, this might very well look like a plain rip in hope of getting more players easy way." in that. Don't lie.
Edit: Also, i don't think that gameplay mode is a content and i definitely don't think that charging money for gameplay mode in 12yo online shooter is a good management.

Sorry, sorry, if you want it unwrapped in more letters, have it that way.
Certain gameplay mode is an idea, and many games share gameplay modes and there's nothing wrong with it. Nevertheless, pulling someone into other game with such argument as "it has the same gamemode, yet for free" might rise both positive and negative reactions, for obvious reasons. Those devoted to the first game won't appreaciate such announcement at all.
BTW, average commercial management nowadays is asking 15-20 bucks for couple of maps. Yep, CoD series. QL seems far from the worst ones.

Lord Canistra, I would like to ask you to wrap your thoughts into more words by default. Half funny replies have their place in other subsections of this forum Smile Every point brought to the table is a valid one, as long as you manage to bring it across in a reasonably mature manner.

Infiltrating other communities should never be a marketing strategy. The project (I'm sure) will never target specific player bases to 'lure' them in. I don't even see how we could do that. Buy ad space on the QL site? The only real option I could think of is individual players going into QL and telling the players to play Xonotic. Nobody has control over that, but it would take a very naive person to think he would get away with that. I mean: we're a pretty lenient bunch altogether here, but what would happen to a player coming onto a Xonotic server advocating we should all play Warsow or any other game? Kick and ban I guess? And rightfully so.

But: there is no reason not to be proud of Xonotic or FreezeTag. So yes, make it known: "We have FreezeTag! It looks and plays like this! Xonotic is a free fast paced online bla bla bla..." Make sure there are FreezeTag videos on Youtube with FreezeTag-titles and FreezeTag-descriptions and FreezeTag-tags (you wut?). It will be found. Then any QL, Warsow, Trainsimulator and online chess player can make up his or her own mind.

Also, the user ratings here are messed up. I am partly to blame, I know Tongue
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Don't forget about second part of my post: "at least promote it more actively, as a feature". That also counts as "spread the news" Smile. Freeze tag looks more impressive than DM or even CTF. Mentioning that Xonotic has free FT is also not bad for threads like "Recommend me (free) FPS" on different forums. Someone will probably post Quake Live in such thread, so maybe our offer will look more appealing. For some people it will, I'm sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic 1.0 feature freeze? Exitium 12 11,354 09-14-2011, 04:16 AM
Last Post: divVerent