Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAJOR PROBLEM!!

dafuq??? suddenly, the fan spins properly, but gpu still overheating!! the problem is the PSU. the fan didn't receive any power. now... how can i fix the PSU so it doesn't send low amount of power

EDIT: something just happened when i opened my pc. i think it was full of dust. now everything works just fine Smile
[Image: 10253.png]

What's your PSU? Name? Specs?

Some are just dangerous like that, and often even more so.

um... LPK19-30 . 460w, 12v and looks like that

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Swap it pronto. I mean it. Dangerous stuff.

Do you have some cheap Fortrons or Chieftecs available where you live?

what about a middletower?

460 watts isn't enough to properly power the setup you have, SWAP THAT MOTORSCOOTER OUT BEFORE IT DIES AND TAKES YOUR RIG WITH IT.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I bet to differ, here's a nice PSU calculator: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
according to this he'd be good even with ~250W.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(06-27-2012, 08:51 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: 460 watts isn't enough to properly power the setup you have, SWAP THAT MOTORSCOOTER OUT BEFORE IT DIES AND TAKES YOUR RIG WITH IT.

What do you mean? The PSU was changed only once, but with a similar new model and it worked perfect (the whole PC was made to be stable with this PSU).

460W is more than enough. There's loads of crap out there on PSU requirements. Even the PSU calculators overestimate a huge amount. Your computer will probably be using about 150W. Kids who think they need 1kW PSUs need to buy a cheap power analyser, take some measurements and then think again.

Now then. Still some bad information here. The fan is spinning but the GPU is still overheating so you are blaming the PSU?!?

It is not the fault of the PSU. Don't replace it.

If the fan is spinning but the GPU really is overheating (you haven't given us the temperature it hits during gaming?) then maybe the heatsink is not correctly affixed to the GPU. This can be fixed easily with some thermal paste. Do this as your next course of action.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

"460W" isn't a problem. Problem is that this PSU in fact most certainly isn't 460W unit by any stretch of imagination. That's a test of a unit from the same company:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?nam...y&reid=123

If it is indeed a true 460, sure. Many nonames don't deliver anything even remotely close to their rating, tough, Since i never heard of "linkworld" PSU's before i decided to google a bit on it. The result was more or less what i expected from the pic above.
http://www.overclock.net/t/769505/linkwo...-could-fly Wrote:This power supply is, in Gabe's words, a bad Chinese joke. It cannot deliver even two thirds of its rated wattage, the label is a blatant lie, the build quality is horrendous with some of the worst soldering I've ever seen and many components hot glued into place, the capacitors used are horrible and prone to early failure, the design is antiquated, and many important components are simply omitted. The higher wattage version cannot deliver any more power because the components have the same rating. There is no transient filter to protect your system from surges. Ripple levels in testing of the 500W version were horrifically bad. The only protection provided is a fuse, which is laughably poorly implemented. It is bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. Avoid this garbage at all costs, as well as anything else made by Linkworld. This is simply terrible.

This will not be responsible for fans not spinning and overheating GPU's tough. Non the less, if that thing was in my computer id replace it right away.

As for the gpu fan, its shot. When they pack up and die (usually when bearings wear down) they sometimes spin, sometimes dont - but never delivers the full power. If your fan's are so old that they pack it in, chases are various heat-sinks and grates/filters are packed full of dust too. Go read some articles on how to fix those things, its not a hard job once you know how and it will make your computer less noise, more stable and live longer. For fixing the gpu you two options, replace the fan or replace the whole heat-sink assembly. If teh fan is easy to access and somewhat standard (they usually are not, unfortunately) its by far easier and safer to replace just that. If not, just get a aftermarket assembly, just abt anything is better then the stoc ones of that era. Personaly i prefer zalman's as they have a exelent cooling-to-noise ratio, bit expensive tough.

aww. i just saw that speedfan shows the fire icon if temp is higher than 50C, but also found that 56C is a normal temp. it hits about 65-73C in games

so... i've got a friend who's a pc savvy. he told me that is nothing wrong with my pieces, just damaged windows version

Lol you're kidding! But I'd still remove that PSU if I were you. Even if it isn't the issue, it still needs to go! NOW!

(06-27-2012, 11:01 AM)GaryRoach Wrote: i just saw that speedfan shows the fire icon if temp is higher than 50C, but also found that 56C is a normal temp. it hits about 65-73C in games
So yes, that is as I had suggested before. Without a real comparison of temperature in a game you can't tell. Improving temperatures here is just going to be the same general things as for most computers.

With all cooling and power issues there is only one site I trust and that is SPCR. Just in case you are still scared about the PSU (even though it is working) then take a look at their PSU section, they do some very thorough, technical tests:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section10.html

And here is what they had to say about a REALLY bad PSU:
Quote:Our sample SilenX Luxurae 460 failed to qualify as a good PSU in any way. It still powers up on the PSU tester, but we will not risk any other components to see if it can actually run a PC.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1063-page8.html

And here is the PSU I have:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_X...anless_PSU

They are also rightly dismissive of the ridiculous overcompensating of power that has gone out of control in the last 10 years. Here's a long thread with examples of how much people have got working on a 300W PSU, many with power measurements:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vie...f=6&t=3075

Core i7-2600K@4.7GHz + 560Ti on a 330W PSU! 1200W PSU? Pfff....
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Yeah, I mean I've got an Asus Ares and an i7 960 running on a Corsair TX650w PSU and it's fine! PSU efficiency is more important.

Quote:he told me that is nothing wrong with my pieces, just damaged windows version

This is precisely why I recommended that you try running a linux livecd for a moment :-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(06-27-2012, 10:56 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote:
Quote:he told me that is nothing wrong with my pieces, just damaged windows version

This is precisely why I recommended that you try running a linux livecd for a moment :-).

oh. coincidentally, my pc worked fine after i used livecd disk Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LinNex problem/question zombie 5 5,512 12-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Last Post: zombie
  Sonic 4 Episode 1, MAJOR SCREW UP Lee_Stricklin 2 3,617 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m