Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental Gap - Beta1

Greetings

This map is another experiment with scripted mesh/entity generation.
It's inspired by the mental space map series but the geometry is made of mesh models
and there are two transfer platforms on the sides.

[Image: mental-gap-beta1.jpg]

Download:
Mental Gap Beta1 (pk3 file, 8.8MiB)

Coool, downloading now...

EDIT: I tried it, very cool, I don't have any constructive feedback atm except that you might want to adjust the jumppads slightly so you can jump longer.

Nice looking map, will check it out and reply about it later.

I would agree with machine that the jumps pads need more work. I think they need to be positioned better especially between the main base and adjacent platforms. Because what tends to happen is I go from one jumppad, hit another, and then fall to my death. Also the jump pad for the Nex tends to be inconsistent, sometimes I make it across, other times I fall to my death.

If you work on that, this will make for quite a fun map.

That map is awesome!

I would say that the jump pads should be improved. The upper level, that consists of three platforms, have nothing on them, at least in dm.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(10-24-2012, 10:35 AM)Squigger Wrote: I would agree with machine that the jumps pads need more work. I think they need to be positioned better especially between the main base and adjacent platforms. Because what tends to happen is I go from one jumppad, hit another, and then fall to my death.

That's one of the nasty jump'n run style elements I really liked in mental space and therefore
copied in this map. I agree though that the jump could be a little longer/higher.

(10-24-2012, 10:35 AM)Squigger Wrote: Also the jump pad for the Nex tends to be inconsistent, sometimes I make it across, other times I fall to my death.

Same thing here, the jump could be a little longer/higher but after all it's supposed to be a
dangerous jump.

But really I think there is problem (feature?) with jump pads in Xonotic that sometimes
do not push the player far enough.
This happend to me (and others as it seems) on many maps especially on tarx.

I've tried to figure out when the jump to the Nex fails and when not but I couldn't find
a reproducible pattern so far.
Beeing hit shortly before the jump seems to screw things up.
Also when playing single player without bots the jumps work most of the times.
Maybe it's a client/server synchronization issue.

Nice work!
You can make the jump pads blue by setting their _skin to 1 in netradiant.
[Image: 230.png]

Cool. I always loved mentalspace (and several of its reincarnations). This one seems pretty great Big Grin
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

There is one issue; Server CPU usage rises to about 80% and everyone gets packet loss when we play this map.
[Image: 230.png]

Looks hot. We need some more space and in-the-sky backgrounds. Vegastrike has some, ill see if they're high res enough.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental Gap - Beta2 Nodenum 18 15,604 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Last Post: lda17h