Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Instant Slow-mo? Replay

Video 
Hello,

I've enjoyed Nexuiz and Xonotic for quite some time.

Okay, I'm kind of excited because I just beat the last level of the new campaign in 0.6.0 git by surprise/accident. I got the popup message showing the emblem and I said to myself: wtf? because I was behind a bit. Apparently, I got a triple kill or so the console said when I got back to it. Then I said "Wait, where was the slow-mo instant replay?"

Xonotic devs: Please fill this void. After the match is over, there could be a few seconds of real-time replay and maybe time slows as it approaches the end of game time to about half speed. This could optionally happen after one dies also in a third person perspective possibly following the killing projectile if applicable.

This sounds like a bit or a lot of work but i believe it would be worth it and ought to be included in this great game. This effect would be made even better with rag doll player model physics but....

Thanks for all of your hard work so far,
Mark

Hi!

I agree that it would be an excellent feature to have, but doing this on the engine we use would be a ton of work and I'm not sure we have the resources available for such a project. Same thing about rag dolls, although that seems like a more realistic goal.

To be honest, I'd much rather have someone work on the aspects of the engine that make it slow, rather than adding more features that would slow things down even more. But since this is not a commercial project where people get paid, that wish of mine is not really relevant.

Hmm.. in all honestly that seems like too much work for an "extra" feature of sorts.

Considering that it's very easy to make a slowmo replay using just about any video editing software
It seems like something nice to have (killcam sort of thing). But I don't see anything that would interest devs to put the extra time into making this work.

This goes for ragdoll physics too.
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

1. record demo
2. play demo
3. control the speed of the playing demo as you like
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

just saying... :-)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(02-25-2013, 06:07 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: 1. record demo
2. play demo
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

That's completely beside the point though.

(02-25-2013, 01:14 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(02-25-2013, 06:07 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: 1. record demo
2. play demo
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

That's completely beside the point though.

Good points all around. As for interesting the devs, how about money? Possibly from a kick-starter campaign for some or all of the above?

Big Grin (Fluttershy says pretty please)

I can't speak for them, but the devs behind Xonotic are in there for fun, not money. You're proposing to change the incentive, but that would mean they are no longer coding for fun but instead to ship a product to an employer. That's a lot more pressure and a lot less like a hobby.

(02-26-2013, 01:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I can't speak for them, but the devs behind Xonotic are in there for fun, not money. You're proposing to change the incentive, but that would mean they are no longer coding for fun but instead to ship a product to an employer. That's a lot more pressure and a lot less like a hobby.

Well, I remember now that Xonotic, like so many open-source projects, is decentralized and I'ld say that the kickstarter money would not necessarily go to some kind of fast-track project where folks are obligated to meet some arbitrary code completion amount in order to be rewarded with money that was hanging from a stick.

I was thinking more along the lines of Google's summer of code or hiring contract programmers (for lack of a better word "professional") from the outside to take care of adding certain features agreed upon before hand that hobby developers would rather not touch but could benefit the game as a whole package even though it is FOSS. Plus, it could give a chance to those who enjoy the game, do not/can not code well and have the resources to support monetarily to contribute to game development.

player online and you will be happy with you such annoying feature.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(02-26-2013, 12:29 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: player online and you will be happy with you such annoying feature.

"Play online and you will be happy without such an annoying feature." ?

I'm not quite so sure. I do play online and having the opportunity to witness what just happened again, optionally, could be a boon.

I imagine that hitting certain buttons would skip the replay and possibly instantly respawn the player.

We need long-term developers though. People can't just jump in and produce nice code for us all of a sudden.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Instant Invite links to servers lmcdo 4 3,594 04-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Photo [SUGGESTION] Replay of frags @ end rainerzufalldererste 15 13,852 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Silverburn