Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are no gibs in xonotic

There are no gibs in xonotic, only "cl_gentle" rainbow puff Sad
is that a bug
or a "feature"
and should I "go back to nexuiz" if I don't like it because "this is a totally diffrent game"
(cl_gentle is 0 btw)

If it's a "feature" then it sucks that cbrutali and friends months of hard work to give us per-species colored gibs and blood has been squandered Sad.

Gibs work for me.

What cvars do I have to make sure are set?
cl_gentle is 0
cl_nogibs is 0

I did
./all update
./all compile
./all run xonotic

Maybe ill update again soon and it will work again

I think that someone was playing with default settings Smile Sometimes there are gibs, sometimes not. I also saw some UT2k4 like effect of bodies being lifted from the ground. And I think it need to be discussed... Personally I liked the thing that you can kill someone, look at his dead body and then he (alive) in another copy is fighting his revenge at you!
For me "giving another copy of" is more fun than "reseting" players. Anyway - this is all client-side so propably I can set up my game to never lift bodies and leave them as they are, can I? Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

If it's about the new 'ghost bodies' effect; I made these a while back, and they got merged a few days ago in GIT. The aim was indeed to imitate the UT2k4 effect. However, it doesn't cause gibs to stop working, if you gib the body before it turns into a ghost (that's before the player respawns, since that's when the dead body floats away).

I think it's a pretty effect, but it can be disabled by default if that's really wanted. Generally, bodies do get to gib, since there's at least a 2 second delay between the time a player dies and the time he respawns back, giving enough time to shoot the body or for the body to hit the ground and go "splash"!

P.S. My initial patch included another change, making bodies gib at -100 health rather than -75 like before. I felt that bodies were gibing too easily. Perhaps that should be reverted, if everyone feels that bodies gib too hard now, although I feel that's a better value. Note that a dead body takes more damage than an alive player, so a grenade for instance doesn't deal the same impact to a body as it does to a player (from what I seen from my experience, if that is correct).

[EDIT] Oh, also. There was an issue in GIT a few days ago, which caused cl_gentle to happen even when the cvar was disabled. In case it's just the cl_gentle effects showing when they shouldn't, that was fixed. Please update to the latest GIT and see if everything works properly now.

(05-11-2010, 03:49 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: I think it's a pretty effect, but it can be disabled by default if that's really wanted. Generally, bodies do get to gib, since there's at least a 2 second delay between the time a player dies and the time he respawns back, giving enough time to shoot the body or for the body to hit the ground and go "splash"!
Yeah, I noticed that there is a short period of time before the bodies go ghost. Anyway, I don't like it that much, I like meat on the map Big Grin Can you tell me how do I disable this effect locally?

(05-11-2010, 03:49 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: I felt that bodies were gibing too easily.
I thought the same: bodies to easily turn into bare meat.

The other though was: players compared to their guns are small. Or: guns are too big.

(05-11-2010, 03:49 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: [EDIT] Oh, also. There was an issue in GIT a few days ago, which caused cl_gentle to happen even when the cvar was disabled. In case it's just the cl_gentle effects showing when they shouldn't, that was fixed. Please update to the latest GIT and see if everything works properly now.
Seems like I was through this issue. I'am updating several times every day...

Ah, there is some paricle effect of coloured smileys flying around a dead body, don't know if it's connected with the ghost effect...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(05-12-2010, 03:25 AM)unfa Wrote: Yeah, I noticed that there is a short period of time before the bodies go ghost. Anyway, I don't like it that much, I like meat on the map Big Grin Can you tell me how do I disable this effect locally?

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any, just a server side cvar, at least in my initial patch ( g_respawn_ghosts ) Anyway you normally get the same amount of "meat" as before, except bodies who'd get gibed 2 seconds after death which are generally rare Tongue

(05-12-2010, 03:25 AM)unfa Wrote: Seems like I was through this issue. I'am updating several times every day...

Ah, there is some paricle effect of coloured smileys flying around a dead body, don't know if it's connected with the ghost effect...

No, that's not related to the new effect. If it still happens in the latest git there may be another issue. Make sure both cl_gentle and sv_gentle (if that's not g_gentle instead) are disabled.

I like the -100 idea.
Could you also do some others:
I don't think the machine gun and the camping rifle should gib, gibbing feels like it should be more of a shotgun/explosive/etc thing.

Also... could the energy weapons do a diffrent style of gibbing, like how in F.E.A.R the energy weapon gib was to burn away all the flesh and just leave a skeleton, or something like that?

Could these be variables?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are there so many downrated threads? Samual 12 9,942 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Last Post: chooksta