Create an account

Poll: Do you listen to podcasts?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, frequently
27.27%
6 27.27%
Yes, sometimes
68.18%
15 68.18%
Not at all
0%
0 0%
What is a podcast?
4.55%
1 4.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you listen to Xonotic podcast?

Lightbulb 
I've just got an idea while listening to The Opensource Musican Podcast.

How about collecting different news from Xonotic universe and making a podcast out of that?

The podcast would be recorded in regular intervals (monthly?) contating all relevant information gathered since previous episode was released.

What information would go there?
  • Xonotic releases (new features, changes, etc.)
  • Some statistics?
  • New members of the forums (say hello!)
  • Tournaments!
  • Interviews with players/developers/contributors/haters
  • What other say about us (digests of articles on other websites about Xonotic)
  • Map releases (who made what, and what he says about it, what people who played it say)
  • Music submissions (playing a track and what the autor says about it)
  • Q&A - listeners submit questions, we try to find answers and present both
  • Any notable new stuff about Xonotic
  • Console hack of the month (educative section to show, why we shouldn't be afraid of Xonotic console, and what can we do with it)
  • News about other FLOSS games (what else to play when you need some change)
  • Maybe some short digest of the Offtopic (what Xonotic community also does apart from playing)
  • [you idea here]

This could be a one man's work, but I think it would be better to spread the tasks and make a little team for production of this. For example I could record the news and take on the technical audio and web stuff to keep this thing running, but I'd need help in collecting the news. That would be a little like a newspaper, only audio.

I believe this project could be a lot of fun to do and a nice thing to bind the community.

Please write if you'd be interested in participation (active) or listening (passive) if none, please drop a line to explain why. Also drop in any ideas for podcast's topics.

I'd like to see if there's a need for such activity.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I think you are vastly underestimating the work involved, and Xonotic might be a bit too much of a niche "market" to generate sufficient news.

But if you are really interested in making a podcast, maybe one about general FOSS gaming would do too? As one of the editors from freegamer.blogspot.com I would support such an effort, albeit probably contribute only irregularly.

I'd be interested in it also, but it would have to have decent guests giving good information or insight and such, not just ZeRoQL giggling like a girl if he was on Tongue
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I don't listen to podcasts but i would to this one, but theres not much stuff going on Im afraid.

I will help.

Yay!
I'm glad to see some interest in this thread Big Grin

(07-18-2013, 03:41 PM)poVoq Wrote: I think you are vastly underestimating the work involved, and Xonotic might be a bit too much of a niche "market" to generate sufficient news.

But if you are really interested in making a podcast, maybe one about general FOSS gaming would do too? As one of the editors from freegamer.blogspot.com I would support such an effort, albeit probably contribute only irregularly.

Even elephants are small when they're born.
I mean - this doesn't have to be a huge project at first, this may take 4 hours of work a month for two guys and a result would be a 15-minute episode. I got used to podcast episodes that are at least 45 minutes long, but that's not a must. Maybe there isn to much going on, yet - maybe the podcast would get more people go and do something.

I think that hearing about someone doing something is a good motivator.
If you want someone to move - move first.
And I see this (motivating and informing the comunity) to be the top goals of this project.

(07-18-2013, 03:49 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I'd be interested in it also, but it would have to have decent guests giving good information or insight and such, not just ZeRoQL giggling like a girl if he was on Tongue
If they can record audio and use VoIP - no big problem. If someone could sit and make on interview a month (no excessive pressure!) with some Xonotic developer/contrubutor/developer it would be cool. Great idea for a team member: intervew maker.

(07-18-2013, 04:16 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: I don't listen to podcasts but i would to this one, but theres not much stuff going on Im afraid.

I'm glad to hear it Smile I think there's more we think, we'd just need poeple who would find out and submit the news so they can be recorded and broadcasted.

I'd love this to become a "local press" of Xonotic community - you made something cool - drop us a line!
We could make a thread on the forums (or make one for every month) where people could submit news...

(07-18-2013, 05:58 PM)ballist1c Wrote: I will help.
Great to know Smile You do anything specific?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(07-19-2013, 11:00 AM)unfa Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 05:58 PM)ballist1c Wrote: I will help.
Great to know Smile You do anything specific?

I'm a longtime mapper (2 years with various opensource/idtech engines) and a follower of the Quake/esports FPS scene.

I've been told I have a good voice for voiceacting, etc. alot in the past.
I enjoy commentaries and talking to other people about xonotic Big Grin

(07-19-2013, 12:19 PM)ballist1c Wrote: I've been told I have a good voice for voiceacting, etc. alot in the past.

Maybe you would be able to hunt down some news or even people to interview?
Do you have any recording of your voice?

(07-22-2013, 05:50 AM)unfa Wrote:
(07-19-2013, 12:19 PM)ballist1c Wrote: I've been told I have a good voice for voiceacting, etc. alot in the past.

Maybe you would be able to hunt down some news or even people to interview?
Do you have any recording of your voice?

Check here:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...3#pid60553

Thanks Mirio! Big Grin

Personally i liked these matches the best -

Sounding great!

(07-18-2013, 03:41 PM)poVoq Wrote: I think you are vastly underestimating the work involved, and Xonotic might be a bit too much of a niche "market" to generate sufficient news.

I would frequent this.
[Image: 21770.png]

I would prefer a live stream say once a week where the devs answer questions and users can call in. Maybe have guests on the show etc... I prefer live to prerecorded especially if you can interact with the show.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(07-30-2013, 03:35 PM)end user Wrote: I would prefer a live stream say once a week where the devs answer questions and users can call in. Maybe have guests on the show etc... I prefer live to prerecorded especially if you can interact with the show.

t'would be cool, but timezones are a major issue, and it's hard to schedule smth like that, requires a lot of preparation.

i dont think unfa would want to do all podcasts live, maybe one or two special ones; it's all up to him whether this happens or not Big Grin

(07-30-2013, 03:35 PM)end user Wrote: I would prefer a live stream say once a week where the devs answer questions and users can call in. Maybe have guests on the show etc... I prefer live to prerecorded especially if you can interact with the show.

+1, Tournament livestream and after tournament there would be show/interviews or during the breaks.. Like face it cup, that would be something Id watch fo sur.

My main reason for mantioning live is at least to me it makes the game feel more alive, especially if you could take phone calls mind you except for Art Bell I've never been a fan of pre recorded shows might as well just read the forums.

I havent ran a shoucast/icecast server for years but with Skype it wouldnt be hard to set it up.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Devs are in different timezones and mostly busy with their own lives, I don't think that could work.

I'll ask for their opinions, but we're not corporate or even that big of a project, so I don't see what sense it would make to spend time on this stuff rather than using the usual channels of communication.

What do you hope such a livestream would address that you feel is currently lacking?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thank you, Xonotic! Rasputin 2 3,427 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Last Post: dylstew
  Do you follow Xonotic on...? CuBe0wL 4 4,759 12-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Apr0ph1z
  I'm sorry if this is a hot topic, but I would like to know what happened Celroc 4 5,192 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL