Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit mentioned Xonotic

http://youtu.be/yM3ZyiToVxw?t=9m34s
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

Frostwyrm already pointed that out here: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...1#pid66711

Tongue

But thanks for sharing in a dedicated thread!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Yes, but he mentioned it only to point out nobody plays arena games anymore in connection to the new UT. So not exactly good news.

Well... at least he mention more people playing Xonotic than Warsow... Big Grin
YouTube! -- Bandcamp! -- And also on IRC! Wink
[Image: 41457.png]

(05-14-2014, 05:10 PM)POWZONE Wrote: Well... at least he mention more people playing Xonotic than Warsow... Big Grin

That's because Warsaw is just quake live with a smaller player base. (Seriously they're almost the same game)

(05-14-2014, 07:14 PM)Skiddzie Wrote:
(05-14-2014, 05:10 PM)POWZONE Wrote: Well... at least he mention more people playing Xonotic than Warsow... Big Grin

That's because Warsaw is just quake live with a smaller player base. (Seriously they're almost the same game)

But different art style, different movement, different maps, completely different feel. QL is much slower, whenever I try it I just feel punished by its movement. Tongue

warsow is a copy of quake 3 promode, not quakelive.

The dash actually adds quite a bit. Played quite a lot of CPMA recently and it doesn't feel Warsow'y at all.

Yes, 25 people play Xonotic, 14 Warsow. Xon has 50% more players than Warsow Wink

Interesting that his main concern against arena shooters is the lack of progression, like a level up system. Do people only play games to level up? Sounds absurd. Huh But maybe he's got a point there.
[Image: 2405.png]

(05-15-2014, 01:52 PM)Micha Wrote: Interesting that his main concern against arena shooters is the lack of progression, like a level up system. Do people only play games to level up? Sounds absurd. Huh But maybe he's got a point there.

What he's talking about is the idea of constant rewards along with your progression.
The genre that really encapsulates that is RPG's, with you gaining XP and weapons and items and leveling always, how can you NOT feel rewarded? and this works well for RPG's, because you must grind and play them so much. the rewards is the thing that keeps you playing for such a long time.

Now, with more and more integration of RPG elements into freaking EVERYTHING, people have become "addicted" to that sense of constant reward through XP and new items and such. They don't notice progression in skill or aim as much as they do the useless XP gain or stat leveling, because that's the thing that pops up on the screen. So it has kind of become a neccesary thing to provide that kind of reward system, as TB points out, even in classic shooters, they have had to do this.

I hope UT4 does not get dragged down by this. I agree with TB, this kind of system can detract from the game as a whole quite a bit, and i look forward to seeing the UT community(ies) start to shape the game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic mentioned in Ars Technica forum. sortale 9 10,838 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Last Post: KoalaBearScarf
  Total Biscuit mentioned xonotic in shootmania vid frostwyrm333 0 2,981 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: frostwyrm333