Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sick Quake2 Frag Video

Found this on youtube and figured I'd share it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8xManamnJw

Couple quick thoughts on Q2 even though I've never played it

- Movement looks smooth and some cool stair jumps can be executed

- Rail does 100 damage. Way too much imo

- Like the interesting variety of weapons. Not just the standard Quake 3 repeat weapons. No mid range LG dominance fights. Big Grin

- Original maps look solid and fun to play through.

Anyone here played Q2 before? Hows it play? I would like to try it but I think US scene is probably dead.
[Image: 38443.png]

Awesome video thx SPLAT for posting this.

Now I think Q2 is better than Q3 lol.

Rail does 100dmg although there's barely any netcode in Q2 so you have to predict your shots, it's not client side detection like in Xonotic so I think the difficulty in that compensates. I never seem to get a ping below 60 so I can't say I really enjoy Q2. Other things I dislike about Q2 is the screen shake when you land and projectiles/hitscans not going precisely where crosshair is pointing at.

The movie is tits and I'm glad to see proper flickshots outside of CPM for a change.

Basically what Smilecythe said.

The game is harder then it looks SPLAT, rail has this slight delay when firing so you do have to lead a little.

I recommend this movie, awesome TDM footage, best I have seen for quake 2 for frags/fragruns and great rockets!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_SN7Kl14EQ

Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I played q2 at school with ppl and sometimes even at home, but real casually, just mostly vs my friends. The game REALLY lacked good maps, well only The Edge(q2dm1) was good i think, others was a bit strange, some of the maps are worse than random xonotic maps that are on public and made in 2minutes. Yes rail indeed does 100dmg, vs a hardcore aimer and some skill difference, it was almost as bad spawnrape as aerowalk with spawnfurthest 1.0 =)

The movement was cool, those jumps from some spots like boxes and ledges caused you to fly miles above and make neat tricks, had to press jump-buttom repeateldy on them and magics happened.

Have to say, it was a bit lacking game overall, but still fun to play casually Smile guns are really strong so you can play kojn-style and rape! =)

Quake2 was my game. UT99 and halflife was where I hung out when it's popularity subsided. No other games "stuck" for me.

The current modern Quake2 engine is "Quetoo" and can be had at http://quetoo.org/, and there's still maps being made for this modern q2 engine, one awesome map is called "In the arms of Lillith", it's worth a play.

I've been trying to keep a time capsule of old FPS games and their mods and maps and the modern engine replacements as this stuff just disappears from the net after a while, which is a shame. I want to be able to show my grandkids what we used to play, and it's not as easy as it was for our grandparents, who just had to keep a boxed monopoly game in the closet.

Anywhoo, awesome movie.

I tried Quetoo just now and a while back when it was still called Quake2World, the game just refuses to run for me and I haven't got any substantial reason why. I run the application, I see it open up in processes but then it just closes immediately without giving me an error message of any kind. I'm on win7 64bit.

(05-18-2015, 07:06 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: I tried Quetoo just now and a while back when it was still called Quake2World, the game just refuses to run for me and I haven't got any substantial reason why. I run the application, I see it open up in processes but then it just closes immediately without giving me an error message of any kind. I'm on win7 64bit.

It might need updating before being run, I think I also ran into an issue where when I extracted the archive and the whole directory was read only, and after updating all my projectiles instead of shooting forward, shot 90 degrees to the right(!). I re-extracted, unset read only flag on whole dir, and reran update.bat and second time was the charm.

I knew it had to be harder than it looks. Got a lot more respect for those guys in the video after realizing theres no netcode. Game still looks fun to play though.
[Image: 38443.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rendering with one graphics card, outputting video with another. Can it be done? Lee_Stricklin 0 3,218 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,825 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
  8 Craziest Guns In Video Games zeroql 5 5,810 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Coconut Monkey map pack Quake2 Ogger73 0 3,234 04-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  Quake Live Frag Moovie Andrii 4 7,411 03-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Video unfa goin' crazy: "Split Scat" (a really short music video) unfa 3 6,997 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Last Post: unfa
Video I'm a crazy drummer (video) unfa 6 8,921 09-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Video The Disco got me! (a... ehm... music video) unfa 0 3,641 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM
  I made a stupid video, had fun - I hope it will be fun to watch. unfa 0 3,419 05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
  The frag movie thread K__ 37 42,463 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Last Post: kojn^