We are happy to announce SXB, a side-scrolling adventure, and true to the original fan remake of the original Super Mario Bros for NES!
The earliest efforts of an SXB map date back to 2011, -z- put together a Mario themed SMB 1-1 race map in Nexuiz, at the time, Super Nexuiz Brothers. After the fork from Nexuiz, progress went idle until there was an effort to reboot it for Xonotic in 2013, while incomplete, a seed was planted.
During 2012, Mario started playing with the idea of SMB 3 level assets which rolled into a collaboration with Kammy to produce the first sidescrolling version in 2013.
Between 2013-2014, Mario and -z- began discussing their love for Nintendo's Mario, a brilliantly designed game series. Having remade, or otherwise ported maps and game mechanics to Xonotic already, Mario too had a vision for what SXB could be. This lead to the next sidescrolling version based on some assets for the SXB race map.
In 2015, those talks, and experiments, led to a very ambitious goal of recreating SMB 1 for NES inside Xonotic, in its entirety. While there was a testing release in 2015 featuring 33 maps, it was still lacking assets and had a few bugs.
In 2017, nearly six years since the first brush was drawn, our vision has been put "on the rails", and today, we have reached our first milestone, v1r1, which we are very pleased to share with the community.
**1080p available, Select HD**
The community has been hugely supportive of this effort over time, here's a non-exhaustive list, including many of the folks who have contributed over the years.
- JulianaStein for an amazing song, and sounds
- divVerent for the continued help, advice and ability to keep netradiant working :-P
- tZork for the goomba code
- theShadow_ for the goomba model
- FireClaw for the pipe Model
- MooKow for his mapping expertise, ability to discuss changes and support
- Grasshopper and Lt_Bacon, Peace Brothers and many others for inspiration
- The great people in #xonotic for the continued support
- Play testers, helping us refine the maps
- Mario and Nintendo, for their inspiration and continued ability to provide us with enjoyment
02/20/2017 - sxb1_v1r1.pk3 - milestone details
- First release, all maps, most entities, no enemies.