Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trackball configuration

Information 
I would be interested to see what are settings used by Xonotic trackball players if there are any on this forum.

I have bought myself a Logitech Trackman Marble (great entry level fingers controlled trackball) about a month ago. So far I have played only Assault Cube with it.  In Assault Cube I set sensitivity to 0.001 (Trackman Marble DPI is 400)  which is the lowest possible value and acceleration to 500. That gave me enough jitter filtering and good precision scaling without going to funky with faster rotations but keeping good speed with faster strokes. I find my trackball to be a really satisfying input device for FPS gaming despite low DPI and low (for a trackball) price. Maybe I will switch to Elecom Huge in the future as it seems to have more ergonomic shape for fast peaced gaming.

As I'm writing those words my Xonotic package is still downlaoding, so I decided to spend some time and write this post here. Maybe someone can recommend any good settings for acceleration based trackball gameplay in Xonotic.

So, do you have some balls?

I used to do this with casual shooters because a trackpad (thumb) is comfy.  Since trackballs give you very little range of motion, I set sensitivity to allow a 180 with acceleration disabled and considered precision aiming to be a lost cause.  Worked well enough when other players were new to pc fps, though many hours with and without acceleration leads me to doubt that custom acceleration scale would even things up against most, regardless of the game.  On the other hand, if you get a few friends together to play with trackballs and controllers, could be fun.

(02-06-2018, 07:03 PM)mini Wrote: I used to do this with casual shooters because a trackpad (thumb) is comfy.  Since trackballs give you very little range of motion, I set sensitivity to allow a 180 with acceleration disabled and considered precision aiming to be a lost cause.  Worked well enough when other players were new to pc fps, though many hours with and without acceleration leads me to doubt that custom acceleration scale would even things up against most, regardless of the game.  On the other hand, if you get a few friends together to play with trackballs and controllers, could be fun.

Yes. I agree that thumb trackballs are inferior to finger trackballs. So far I was accused of aimboting while playing TOSOK games in Assault Cube with my simple 400DPI  Trackman Marble. I feel excited to switch to something with much higher DPI soon. I'm going to try playing Xonotic with my trackball in few minutes BTW.
Logitech Trackman Marble

My brother used to play counter strike with a thumb trackball and he was very good. Just takes practice is all and a good configuration.
[Image: 38443.png]

I'm wondering how efficiently one would bunnyhop/strafejump with a track ball.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Configuration File for InstaGib Comp-Content [CISN] Neigdoig 0 432 07-17-2023, 11:58 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  What's your Hotkey/HUD Configuration Mirio 119 171,260 07-29-2022, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Ashurion-Neonix
  Help with game configuration. Andrii 7 10,352 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  [SOLVED] A few questions regarding the configuration language Melanosuchus 16 15,153 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Melanosuchus
  decent configuration maquejode 1 4,753 08-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Last Post: edh