Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] Sticky 'nades: New or old?

One change I forgot to mention in my previous post was the addition of the "sticky" grenades. Similar results were possible in version(s) 2.5 and perhaps even 2.4.2 wherein one was able to look at a surface at a 45 degree angle and able to "stick" a secondary grenade where it was shot. In my opinion, this is more practical because it preserves both functions. Since then, this bug / glitch has been fixed and I haven't been able to do it, but I would gladly download an old version and make a demo of it. A couple of the [MiT] members were also able to do this. The way I see it, you get the best of both worlds: sticky and bouncy grenades.

Idea (maybe worthless, maybe genius):
The tuba plays notes depending on the different directional keys and crouching or jumping, etc...
Could it be possible to make sticky grenades come out only when crouching or something? Maybe make a key that you could press to toggle between sticky/bouncy modes?

If this idea is too stupid or whatever don't listen to me... I'm tired...

Regular bouncy nades have always been useless, I think. I like sticky nades, as long as regular nades are untouched.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(08-13-2010, 03:23 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Regular bouncy nades have always been useless, I think. I like sticky nades, as long as regular nades are untouched.

What Roanoke said. Always was just shoot anywhere with secondary and hoped they hit, with secondary now you need to predict before hand where to place the nade for it to damage to your opponent, primary works the same as in nexuiz.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I also prefer the sticky nades, BUT... bouncy are cool too. I wonder if it CAN be done to support both sticky and bouncy ones... and clientside code wouldn't even need changes for that.

But making it depend on crouch/stand sounds not like a good idea... plus, I want them to be sticky by default, and offer a way to fire bouncy ones.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Sounds like over-complicating a weapon to me, if it's doable and easy to use fair enough, but it will also make the weapon have 3 uses then, balancing issues/problems then perhaps?

(08-14-2010, 04:21 AM)divVerent Wrote: I also prefer the sticky nades, BUT... bouncy are cool too. I wonder if it CAN be done to support both sticky and bouncy ones... and clientside code wouldn't even need changes for that.

But making it depend on crouch/stand sounds not like a good idea... plus, I want them to be sticky by default, and offer a way to fire bouncy ones.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm becoming rather fond of the sticky grenades, but it would suck to let go of the bouncy ones. If there were some way to preserve both functions (without letting go of good ol' primary grenade fire), that would be awesome.

Also, that was how to use the glitch before; you would need to crouch + look at a surface at an angle.

You still have bouncy nades on electro secondary. These are going to stay.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

maybe if the mortar secondary grenades would bounce once and then get stuck?
that would be fine! (for me) :S
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I don't think we need to complicate things with three modes. Go with sticky or bouncy, not both. One of the reasons behind going sticky was b/c mortar was so damn powerful otherwise (though I'll miss the bouncies =\).
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I think sticky actually makes mortar stronger. It's not an OP weapon, though some still exist =/
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(08-13-2010, 03:23 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Regular bouncy nades have always been useless, I think. I like sticky nades, as long as regular nades are untouched.

Bouncy are good for indirect shots and easy trick shots as well. I get about as many frags with bouncy as I do explode on impact.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I'd be into making mortar capable of firing regular, bouncy and sticky nades.

Sticky nades could be fired when you hold secondary fire. Some indicator on crosshair and/or sound should tell you that next granade is going to be sticky. Once it is switched, just relese the key to fire a sticky nade!

Only one thing that needs balancing is the time to hold the secondary fire before it switches. It should be rather short (50~100 ms) to able fluent fire, but might be longer (0.2~0.5 s) and though - it would limit functionality. Balancing issue.

That should be explained to all players (in manual?), don't know if everybody is going to figure it out on their own.

I'd love to have such a functionality for mortar Big Grin

Antibody Wrote:I don't think we need to complicate things with three modes. Go with sticky or bouncy, not both.

Why not? Have you played UT3? Their rocket launcher has much more complicated mechanism, and it is so cool Smile Also, there was a mod for UT '99 / UT2k4 called Chaos. That was pushing functionality to the limits Big Grin I don't think this small additional feature would spoil Xonotic. I think it will rather make it more interesting!

We can even have two types of sticky nades. On for each fire button Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

===============================================================
regular: left mouse click
bouncy/sticky: right mouse click
switch between bouncy and sticky: right mouse hold

but it should be displayed on the mortar texture which mode you have selected!
just a [B] or [S] sign! Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:

The reason sticky was put in place of bouncy, was because the bouncing grenades were so random, you couldn't fire them and know accurately where they would land after a few bounces, in nexuiz they were all over the place, this is the reason for the change..if you want bouncy then they need to be changed so that they don't act so randomly.

(08-19-2010, 06:18 AM)kojn^ Wrote: (...) if you want bouncy then they need to be changed so that they don't act so randomly.

They could be slower. Or bouncing with less energy.
(08-18-2010, 01:56 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: ===============================================================
regular: left mouse click
bouncy/sticky: right mouse click
switch between bouncy and sticky: right mouse hold

but it should be displayed on the mortar texture which mode you have selected!
just a [B] or [S] sign! Big Grin

Yay, that would require to remember what do you have on if no indicator is present.

I think some indicator around/in the crosshair would be nice. A little bit like with the Rifle.

I think your option would be faster to shoot series, but might be a bit more difficult to operate.

Best thing we can do is try all possibilites, make 3 or 4 different test mortars, launch a series of matches, collect data of weapon usage, and we will know which type is the most handy and popular Big Grin

(I know that was a little bit crazy idea... please don't sue me!)
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Got a new idea!

Let's make Mortar shoot normal and sticky granades and make secondary fire in RL firing an an propelled rocket with time ignition.

That would keep things simple and save the bouncy granades.

Then it would look like this:

Mortar:

LMB - granadethat explodes on impact
RMB - sticky granade

RL:

LMB - regular rocket
RMB - rocket that is a bouncy granade also: ignite alrady flying regular rocket

How about that?

No, remote detonation on RL is indispensable.

I don't think that the idea is that bad! Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:

Could copy one of the only things that Unreal 2 did gameplay wise that was good.

Primary Fire: Fire
Secondary Fire: Switch grenade type (impact, delayed, sticky)

Display grenade type selected on the crosshair. As long as the switching is instant and the type is displayed on the crosshair, it shouldn't take a tremendous amount of time to adapt to it. The only real problem I see is that balancing may become a nightmare because the most versatile weapon in the game has been made even more versatile.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,151 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Old, good acc? Justin 24 22,339 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Last Post: It'sMe
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,283 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin