Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting good distance on circle jumps?

I'm really sucking at this; what exactly is the key to doing good circle jumps?  The best I can get on a 90 degree turn before the jump is roughly 460, and I struggle to consistently hit the jump across to megahealth on Stormkeep from near the teleporter, or the circle-slope jump up to rockets from mortar on Quark, or the circle-slope jump from rockets to the middle level in Silent Siege, and I can't do any RA jumps on Hub at all without blaster.

You might find the XDF academy post or the XPM combat video interesting. Note that vanilla/XPM xonotic uses slightly different physics than XDF.

Also don't forget to set hud_panel_physics 2 to see you speed and accel.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

>  The best I can get on a 90 degree turn before the jump is roughly 460,
Perfect cj should yield 600qu/s. 550qu/s is rather casual and easy to do in the heat of a battle. 460 is definitely very noob.

There's no much trick in it, you just need to find out the optimal turn speed and perfect moment to press jump. Then practice it until it gets into your muscle memory. Also don't forget that you need to add some accel in the air too to make the jump really perfect.

You can join "Relaxed Running" server, it has an experimental strafe helper thingy which may help you to find the best angles (especially for the air accel part). While XDF and vanilla physics are different, the cj part is almost identical.

Are those 600qu/s / 550qu/s measruements in the air, or simply from holding down w+a/d with a turn?  If we're talking "in the air" speed, I can hit about 550 on my better jumps; the 460 is the "before hitting spacebar, just strafing and turning" speed. 
For in-air acceleration, do I need to hold W+A/D while turning Q3 style, or do I need to release W and just hold A/D while turning like QW?
(I'll have to look into that "Relaxed Running" server, I didn't know that there was any such thing as a "strafe helper".)

> Are those 600qu/s / 550qu/s measruements in the air, or simply from holding down w+a/d with a turn?
Nah, it's easier to measure cj efficiency by the speed you get when landing on the ground (assuming you doing the jump on a flat surface).
> For in-air acceleration, do I need to hold W+A/D while turning Q3 styl
You continue to hold W+A/D, yes. Then when you reach 700 qu/s you can do A/D turns to roam through the map. 950 qu/s is soft cap after which you can't accelerate by any kind of non-wep techniques.

Moro, where did you get the value 950? The limit is 900: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....sX.cfg#L44

Also, non-weapon is misleading - you can go faster using ramps and ofc jumppads.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Moro he's talking speed before jump, 550 qu/s is pretty much perfection in Vanilla.
This is a good place to practice circle jumps: https://streamable.com/rn303

(02-20-2020, 09:10 AM)martin-t Wrote: Moro, where did you get the value 950? The limit is 900: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....sX.cfg#L44
Eh, sorry, misremembered Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video "GETTING SERIOUS" promo edit out DauX 26 26,343 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Pendulla
Video Are these jumps already known (warfare) CloOny 14 11,147 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Lift Jumps + Gravity Changes? kojn^ 9 8,956 08-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  Pixel Motion Blur? Good Idea? SkyHookers 3 5,548 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Last Post: SkyHookers
  [VIDEO] Crazy jumps in space CuBe0wL 13 16,551 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Last Post: ThePWTULN