Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM] Broccoli

Hi,

I started this map some time ago and since I'm confined at home, I took the time to finish it.
Nothing fancy, just a small space map for 2 to 5 players, with a big central jump pad.

Download link: BROCCOLI_V1

[Image: Uo0evP1.jpg]

Oh, a push-me map! Big Grin
Why not add some grid above the fan? This way it would look safe to newcomer to attempt jump on it. Also, it would be more consistent with the clang sound.
This comment is licensed under cc by 4 and antecedent.

(04-10-2020, 07:03 PM)illwieckz Wrote: Oh, a push-me map! Big Grin
Why not add some grid above the fan? This way it would look safe to newcomer to attempt jump on it. Also, it would be more consistent with the clang sound.

I used a custom trigger brush for the jump pad, it pushes players but weapon projectiles just go through it (otherwise it would be a mess with projectiles flying everywhere Big Grin ).
If I add a grid above the fan, I would have to make the projectiles explode instead of being pushed, not sure if it's doable. (nevermind, it's actually easily doable, simply cover the grid with the trigger... I was probably tired when I wrote that)

Besides, the jump pad on Xoylent has no grid either ^^

Wonderful job! Hosting it on my server.

I played a bit in this cool map. I think it's very fun for 4-6 players. I also very much appreciate your imagination in the art, the design, and the title. Bravo!

I wonder whether you would consider the following:

1. I wish I could attack others from underneath the ring floors. I think this will add more interactions, and discourage players from staying in one level.
  2. I think it's worth considering having the fan reflect bullets/rockets/items. I was able to stay bouncing on the fan while attacking everyone on every level, while it's difficult for them to shoot back at me. If they could shoot at the fan, then I'll have to leave the fan and my winning advantage.
  3. Perhaps only the center of the fan can bounce players while other parts will grind them to death so requires slightly more control to stay bouncing.

This is a great little map, I look forward to playing it more with players (it's on my SMB servers now)!

Just one small suggestion/request: a whirring sound when close to the fan would be cool, given the size of it! 
Possibly sound/wind/windoutside_loop.wav above it and sound/machines/Big_machine.wav when near the fan would fit well enough, these are stock sounds too.
[Image: 230.png]

Thanks for you feedback, BuddyFriendGuy and Mario!

@BuddyFriendGuy:
I guess I can make the fan pushing back weapon projectiles after all, though I was worried it would turn into a mess (or even FPS drops if too many projectiles are bouncing at the same time).
Not sure how I could make it easier to attack from underneath the ring floors. The armor, health and strength pickups (and some weapons) should be an incentive to explore other floors already :)

@Mario:
Actually there's already the Big_machine.wav noise near the fan. Good idea about the wind sound!

Nice map!
Curiously, the structure of this map reminds me of something...

(04-10-2020, 05:58 PM)SpiKe Wrote: Hi,

I started this map some time ago and since I'm confined at home, I took the time to finish it.
Nothing fancy, just a small space map for 2 to 5 players, with a big central jump pad.

Download link: BROCCOLI_V1

[Image: Uo0evP1.jpg]

Just downloaded it and will activate it on Feris shortly.
Ty
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net