Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] pipewire

Anybody using pipewire as well? Ever since I replaced PulseAudio with pipewire, my sound has been unstable. I wonder whether somebody's got a solution.

Hello,

Is your sound unstable with Xonotic only or in general? Do you use the SDL or the GLX executable?
I use pipewire as well (or rather pipewire-pulse as a replacement for pulseaudio) and have no problem with Xonotic 0.8.5 or autobuild.

Thanks, @SpiKe.

My problems seem to occur on both SDL and GLX, and it seems to be Xonotic only.

This has been going on for about 2 years. I switched to pipewire for audio work (btw, so happy that I no longer need to switch between PulseAudio and Jack 1, and Jack2!!), and all other programs I run work well (well, some bugs in the beginning, but very few nowadays). However, Xonotic seems to almost always have some problems. It's not very consistent either:

1. Occasionally I have to start Xonotic a few times to even hear sound in the beginning menu.
2. Even if I manage to have sound in the menu, quite often the sound will drop as soon as I join a server. (I still see the process in pavucontrol, via pipewire-pulse, but no sound).
3. Just as often I will have audio in the game for a while, and then suddenly it's gone several minutes into the game. I will then go back to step 1.

Any suggestion on how to narrow down the problem?

(07-24-2022, 02:48 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Thanks, @SpiKe.

My problems seem to occur on both SDL and GLX, and it seems to be Xonotic only.

This has been going on for about 2 years. I switched to pipewire for audio work (btw, so happy that I no longer need to switch between PulseAudio and Jack 1, and Jack2!!), and all other programs I run work well (well, some bugs in the beginning, but very few nowadays). However, Xonotic seems to almost always have some problems. It's not very consistent either:

1. Occasionally I have to start Xonotic a few times to even hear sound in the beginning menu.
2. Even if I manage to have sound in the menu, quite often the sound will drop as soon as I join a server. (I still see the process in pavucontrol, via pipewire-pulse, but no sound).
3. Just as often I will have audio in the game for a while, and then suddenly it's gone several minutes into the game. I will then go back to step 1.

Any suggestion on how to narrow down the problem?

Hey man - using pipewire on Gnome w/ Arch. Having the same issues as you after switching from pulse to pipewire today. It's literally the only app at the moment where sound doesn't work. I'm using the same as you as well - pipewire-pulse. I've not actually gotten sound to work at all actually - on both single and multiplayer as soon as the first on-map sound happens (besides music) all sound ceases to work. Are you saying you at least have sound for periods of time during gameplay??

Edit:

Just ran `xonotic-glx` in terminal to read the log:

`SndSys_Init: using the ALSA module`

I'm assuming this is the issue.

Edit 2:

In Arch I had to run:

`sudo pacman -Rdd pulseaudio-alsa` then `sudo pacman -S pipewire-alsa'. Sound in Xonotic is now working.

Sorry for the late reply. I will give this a try (right now I can't launch the game for some unknown reason, so I'll have to solve that first).

EDIT: That did it! THANK YOU, @rbatty! This actually makes sense -- I was using pipewire->pulseaudio->alsa, assuming the overhead is minimum but never thought to test pipewire->alsa. It explains why there was a slight delay before it failed to get the audio access, and sometimes that delay was short so it succeeded.