Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ragdoll Physics

Thumbs Down 
Hey everyone,

I Think that Xonotic needs a ragdoll physics when you die.
What do you think?

EDIT:
1) That suggestion is unnecessary for the game.
2) Ragdoll physics is impossible in Darkplaces engine.
3) The idea itself sucks and so: IGNORE THIS POST.
My in-game name is GooshGoosh!

Rag doll animation not only would seriously screw with the game's performance, but wouldn't add a whole lot visually, especially when you take into consideration how often players get gibbed.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

if i understood that correctly there are technical limitations why ragdoll physics cant be implemented right now, i think it was something like the server controls something which the clients need to control for ragdoll physics....

The technical limitations are quite large indeed. So large, in fact, that it cant be done. The only way to make it happen is moving player animation control to csqc, something that may well be necessary for other things too. There is however a lack of anyone that can/want to code csqc players. But even with this done, at the moment, ragdolls are one of the last thing that Xonotic *needs* (there are far more important things to do).

I'd agree that it's a cool feature to have, but we have other things more needed than this right now Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

...we had this discussion several times -.-
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(02-19-2011, 06:09 AM)tZork Wrote: The technical limitations are quite large indeed. So large, in fact, that it cant be done. The only way to make it happen is moving player animation control to csqc, something that may well be necessary for other things too. There is however a lack of anyone that can/want to code csqc players. But even with this done, at the moment, ragdolls are one of the last thing that Xonotic *needs* (there are far more important things to do).

If we do move animation to csqc, which indeed would open the door to having a number of things improving I'd bet. Would it have very large implications for the current way things are structured? Would it be a welcome change among most of the devs? Honestly, it sounds like the superior organization of stuff.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

I'm curious for more input, this sounds like something I'd be interested in looking into.

My problem is that currently ragdoll physics are just that-RAGDOLL physics! I understand the game is not realistic in most senses, but when a body loses its life, it doesn't move like a ragdoll. Watch a movie where someone dies (preferably a realistic one) and then play hl2. See the difference? If you can fix that, THEN move ragdoll physics to the low-priority to-do list, because, as said before, it's not all that important.
In-game name: moutandihami or mood
Currently working on openmachines and deadphase

(03-26-2011, 07:02 PM)pohatu9 Wrote: My problem is that currently ragdoll physics are just that-RAGDOLL physics! I understand the game is not realistic in most senses, but when a body loses its life, it doesn't move like a ragdoll. Watch a movie where someone dies (preferably a realistic one) and then play hl2. See the difference? If you can fix that, THEN move ragdoll physics to the low-priority to-do list, because, as said before, it's not all that important.

Ragdoll physics in an of itself isn't too important, but moving animation to CSQC is something that could benefit the game in many respects.

Nice idea, but I agree with tZork, DarkPlaces is limited when it comes to physics, but maybe adding a physics engine (Bullet) will enable ragdoll physics Smile (Pretty much what Valve did, they improved Quake engine, from goldSrc to Source, upgraded the graphics and added a physics
engine, Havok)

So basically Darkplaces is like Source, they are both "pumped" versions of Quake, Source has Havok and hopefully DarkPlaces will have Bullet
(which is better physics engine than Havok and doesn't take much RAM or processing power to run)

darkplaces already has a physics engine, ODE, however it was never fully implemented.

i do agree that bullet would be a much better choice, as I have had some experience using bullet.

and honestly, if ragdolls were implemented, I would prefer the crazy not-realistic-at-all ragdolls, because they are more entertaining.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I personally prefer well animated deaths as opposed to ragdolls in most cases. The exception to this would be if someone were to hit a ledge or something or got hit while they were airborne.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Oh, it's this discussion again! For reference:

Skeletal Animation
In game physics
ragdoll death animation request

Hey, this is a GREAT idea!!!!!!!! You know what!?!? I got some other great ideas too!!!! Let's add a killcam to every death so that way people know how they died! Oh oh oh yeah, let's also add a level system so that way you can earn and spawn with other weapons instead of having to pick them up (btw that's just too hard for everyone, gotta make it more fair). And maybe...just maybe, we could even add an awards system so you can show off your 1337 skills to all of your noob friends and smile like a pro!

Oh, wait a second.....

/end rage

Way to get worked up over a year old thread :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

@theShadow

Yes, I prefer crazy ragdoll deaths

@Lee_Stricklin

Your opinion is your opinion Big Grin

@Mr. Bougo

My apologize, I'm new here and I didn't feel searching for other related posts

@PCLizard

U MAD BRO?

@PinkRobot

yep, I agree with you Tongue

No need to apologize, I just posted these links for reference because redundant discussions are redundant.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,813 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] ragdoll death animation request Droid 28 33,343 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Nahuel
  [SUGGESTION] Ragdoll Deaths? satuim 1 3,128 08-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] In game physics poVoq 14 14,682 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Dial Indicator, Threat Detector, Tactile Feedback and Impact Physics MkThUnderwd 18 19,963 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic Story draft (aka oh man this could be worse than physics) Minkovsky 15 17,616 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Got some gripes about the physics (Oh god not this $#!+ again) in the autobuild Lee_Stricklin 15 16,449 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] My proposal on weapon and physics balances CuBe0wL 21 23,742 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin