Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Reserve player slots for admins when the server is full

There is a common problem I experience where my server is full and, as a result, my moderators can't moderate fully. They can use rcon remotely to moderate but sometimes spectating is needed in order to moderate properly.

Nixter just suggested an interesting idea to have 2-3 reserve slots only for moderators. These would be spectator-only slots. If my server has maxplayers = 20, then I would have 2 extra slots that moderators could still use for spectating.

There are probably multiple ways to consider for letting the server know who is an admin. This would be easier with the central user authentication system that divverent propsed before. It is my understanding that might not be available for a while.

Maybe there could be a cvar that stores an IP pool to let the server know which people can use the admin slots.

I was gonna post this as a feature on the dev tracker, but thought it might need some discussion here first.

This was done in CounterStrike before, and I think it's absolutely needed.

No idea how to do that. Otherwise I'd have done it long ago...
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

So essentially you're suggesting that a server that has 20 player slots should have 22, but only moderators can occupy the final two?

Seems like a good idea to me, although I haven't experienced a lot of trouble on maxed servers.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Yes please, if possible.

Also why make them spec spots only? I mean, you should play on your own server once in while. Wink

(10-03-2010, 01:13 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Yes please, if possible.

Also why make them spec spots only? I mean, you should play on your own server once in while. Wink

Admins playing on godmode? Time to polish my lazer skillz...

Seriously: I've never met (or I didn't know I did) an admin/moderator on any server. But I have no objections against this idea, why not? Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(10-03-2010, 04:56 AM)divVerent Wrote: No idea how to do that. Otherwise I'd have done it long ago...

Hmm. What do you think about the IP pool idea? All it would do is allow people to use these extra slots. Rcon capability would still apply like usual.

The problem is that this would have to be an engine feature, but I'd like QC control over who is an admin and who not. Also, this cannot be extended to "spectator slots" as the engine doesn't even KNOW who is spectating.

This also needs a design decision on how to interface this with QC. And about that I am absolutely not sure.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

How about a constantly connected spare player on a remote computer? Admins or mods could SSH to it or what you geeks do. Wink

(i mean idling.)
4m038105 - Be the change.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,560 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user