Create an account

Poll: Would you like to see the "event chasecam" enabled by default?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I agree with it being enabled by default.
38.24%
13 38.24%
I agree with it being enabled by default, but only as long as it's present in the menu.
55.88%
19 55.88%
I don't agree with it being enabled by default.
5.88%
2 5.88%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the 'event chasecam' be enabled by default? (pool)

Question 
The event chasecam feature got merged in master today at last Smile For users who didn't see it during testing stage, it's a feature that makes the camera go into third person mode when you die or when the match ends (intermission). You can also move the mouse around to rotate the camera around the player. This is a common effect in most shooter games.

For the time being, it was decided to leave it disabled by default. The effect is intended to be defaulted though, since IMO it's very nice and improves the feel a lot. So I thought to make a pool and see if other users agree with it being defaulted, or want it off by default instead.

To test the feature in latest master, set the cvars cl_eventchase_death and cl_eventchase_intermission to 1. You can also see a video of it below (the jittering when moving the mouse has been fixed).

whats the command to enable it?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I only voted for the second option, because I like the option to turn it on/off from menu, but for default, I'd vote absolutely YES!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

honestly, I think the decision should be from the first 2 options combined vs the second.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I support this.

I don't see any reason why there should even be an "official" (menu) way of disabling it. It does not impact gameplay in any possible way, as when you're dead all you can do is watch your gibs fly around. And doing so from third person is way more awesome than from your eyeball. Smile
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Yes, just make it selectable in the menu.

(04-30-2011, 12:29 PM)FruitieX Wrote: I support this.

I don't see any reason why there should even be an "official" (menu) way of disabling it. It does not impact gameplay in any possible way, as when you're dead all you can do is watch your gibs fly around. And doing so from third person is way more awesome than from your eyeball. Smile

It's not an eyeball, it's a scouter! That can't check people's power level! Which can't be over 9000! It can't even be over 1000!

Well, this should be selectable from the player tab. Customization is the key to winning the audiences.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(04-30-2011, 01:08 PM)Mirio Wrote: Yes, just make it selectable in the menu.

Why Sad

Another unnecessary menu option. We should be *reducing* the amount of crap in the menu, not increasing.
(05-01-2011, 03:49 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Well, this should be selectable from the player tab.

The player tab is an excellent example of how bloated the menu already is. Smile

(05-01-2011, 04:28 AM)FruitieX Wrote:

Why Sad

Another unnecessary menu option. We should be *reducing* the amount of crap in the menu, not increasing.
(05-01-2011, 03:49 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Well, this should be selectable from the player tab.

The player tab is an excellent example of how bloated the menu already is. Smile

I agree with this personally. I don't believe such a small feature needs to be in the menu at all. Though I know some people are more comfortable with that.

(05-01-2011, 04:31 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: I agree with this personally. I don't believe such a small feature needs to be in the menu at all. Though I know some people are more comfortable with that.

Maybe these people feel more comfortable, but they would also likely know how to turn it off from the console. Everyone else will just not care about such a small thing, and new players will think it's always been part of the game if it's made default. Smile

Keep the menu clean and simple with only the most important settings, leave advanced options where they belong: in the console.

(05-01-2011, 04:28 AM)FruitieX Wrote:

Why Sad

Because every second player would ask for the command to turn it off (already happenend yesterday).
For the Player Setup tab: Just put the crosshair stuff under an extra button (like waypoints and HUD) so you click on "Crosshair settings" and get a new box popping up.

I don't imagine anyone would care to turn off such an effect, since IMO it shouldn't bother anyone the slightest. If someone does however, they can manually set the two cvars for such a small thing.

Adding a menu option for every new feature is absolutely unnecessary. It'll bloat menus to the extreme, and make menus intimidating for new players.

If someone really hates the minor cosmetic changes in Xonotic *that much*, chances are they're just years-old Nexuiz players who can't handle change; a demographic which generally also knows how to make everything 'right' again via the console.

At first sight, this effect disturbed me a bit, because it everytime surprised me. It's like I lost control of my player.
Then, when I got used to, I changed my mind.

Contrary to my vote, I think now that this feature should be default and not overload the setup menu.
And, as Fruitiex mentioned, all new players will think that this feature had always been here so...
Fat.bot.Slim

Good to see this feature was finished so quickly. It looks nice and like most people I think it should be on by default. But making a menu option for it makes no sense whatsoever, it only would make sense for former nexuiz players. But then you could also think about adding options for chase_active, chase distances, etc, that would make just as much sense (and don't tell me someone added those already Tongue)
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I voted for enable by default––as long there is no FPS drop. I will probably turn mine off, but it is just a personal preference.

Also why not make a master cvar for easier switching on and off? Something like

cl_chasedeathcam #

But ignore me, I'm also the guy that wanted a nogib feature Smile