Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

I have already started on what you asking for in your question 2 :-), those pictures are located in the data pk3 ~/gfx/hud/default/*!

Someone has to code the feature that when selecting simple items to change these to though..

@rafallus: I'd guess it would be compatible with MK's mutator with minimal needs of code merging. Sprites always face the viewport, so they wouldn't rotate like physical entities would be expected to, which is perfectly fine.

(07-01-2012, 10:36 AM)zeroql Wrote: [Image: simpleitems.jpg]

Those are looking really good. Did you really make them by yourself?

I think he did a few of them, some of them are from WsW & some are modified versions of my and rafallus set. Even if these probably not can be included officially(due to the WsW ones) you can still replace the official ones with those, if you prefer them. Nifrek also talked about adding a feature that you can easily switch between different sets, this havent been coded yet though.

(07-02-2012, 07:24 AM)Fisume Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 10:36 AM)zeroql Wrote: [Image: simpleitems.jpg]

Those are looking really good. Did you really make them by yourself?

This artwork is stolen from Warsow and we demand you to take this content down immediatly.

-- Warsow Development Team.
[Image: 26430.png]

Yep, I totally expected this to happen. crizis, what content do you want taken down? The video and the image? AFAIK nothing else has been distributed, in particular nothing usable ingame.

Well, at least I hope this content does not get distributed with Xonotic releases or as standalone downloads. Our license imply does not permit distributing our content outside Warsow.

Then again, way of going around this license is to rather provide a script or something which lets users themselves do personal simpleitems package out of Warsow data, without actually distributing them as standalone download. This is something I'm fine with.

However, I'd rather see Xonotic community concentrate on original artwork which would fit the game better too :-)

There is no chance this will ever end up in a Xonotic release, don't worry. The team is serious about licensing, and in that case the infringement would be clear.

I'll make sure that further updates from this project in this thread will be compliant with your terms. In any case, zeroql's intent was to provide an alternative to the official images, not a candidate for official release.

(07-02-2012, 11:48 AM)crizis Wrote: This artwork is stolen from Warsow and we demand you to take this content down immediatly.

-- Warsow Development Team.

You probably meant something like this, don't you?

"This artwork belongs to Warsow and we sincerely ask you to take this content down as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Good then :-)

Other than that, it's nice to see other games working on "e-sport" features to their engine too.

And good luck for your simpleitems project.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

@crisiz

isent WsW licensed under GPL to? I don't say we would want to do it, but isent it legal to put them in the game?

(07-02-2012, 12:52 PM)K__ Wrote: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

@crisiz

isent WsW licensed under GPL to? I don't say we would want to do it, but isent it legal to put them in the game?

Our engine is GPL, but artwork is not.

Also, to further make you sure that artwork derived from non GPL compatible stuff can't sneak in Xonotic, we have a special system to allow community changes to hit git master: the merge request. Normal users can only push stuff in their own branches, and can file a "merge request" ticket. When the ticket is created, our core team reviews it, and judges on the merge.
Also, the merge request reads:

Quote:By submitting, you agree to license all the changes/additions contained in your branch to Team Xonotic under the terms of the General Public License version 2, with the "any later version" clause active. In particular, you guarantee that you have acquired all the necessary rights from possible other copyright holders to be able to license your work under this license. Any submission which does not fulfill this condition may lead to legal action against the submitter.

Also, ZeroQl is a community member (and not long ago either), not official developer.

(07-02-2012, 12:29 PM)crizis Wrote: Well, at least I hope this content does not get distributed with Xonotic releases or as standalone downloads. Our license imply does not permit distributing our content outside Warsow.

Then again, way of going around this license is to rather provide a script or something which lets users themselves do personal simpleitems package out of Warsow data, without actually distributing them as standalone download. This is something I'm fine with.

However, I'd rather see Xonotic community concentrate on original artwork which would fit the game better too :-)

Dont worry! my plan is just to see how it simple items will work with colorfull items like warsaw.
metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

(07-02-2012, 12:53 PM)crizis Wrote: Our engine is GPL, but artwork is not.

Why not? Do you guys don't respect your users freedom?

(07-02-2012, 01:14 PM)K__ Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 12:53 PM)crizis Wrote: Our engine is GPL, but artwork is not.

Why not? Do you guys don't respect your users freedom?

Come on. You're just embarassing yourself there, while also giving Xonotic a bad image in the process. Send a mail to Apple's PR department if you want to pick such petty fights.
EDIT: I won't allow any further off-topic messages from you in this topic.

Let's not derail this thread. Also, you have to respect other's choise too.

(07-02-2012, 01:29 PM)K__ Wrote: Sorry!

btw I know you guys at WsW got pretty hard quality control before implementing contributions, so crisiz, what's your opinion on my and rafallus set?

http://ompldr.org/vZWs2eQ/showcase.png

Here is a rough sketch for the tag seeker, ignore the color it havent been decided yet.

[Image: tagseeker.png]

It doesn't look too bad, but unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Xonotic icons to comment if they represent the main items well enough Smile

But as a tip for simpleitems in general: It's good to pick some certain shape to represent certain set of icons so they're easy to distinquish visually. For example, in Warsow simpleitems all health icons have round shape - all ammo packs have white background inside a square frame with weapon icon, whereas weapons have whole icon square painted with weapon color.

Like for your set, giving round backgrounds with same size to all healths probably make health items a bit clearer visually. I assume those square ones are ammo boxes, they're visually pretty good and likely look nice in-game.

I have an idea for seeker, though I'm not sure how it will turn out. Give me a sec.

BTW. K_, can you please include tga of mg made from the svg I sent you in pk3? In game there is still that uneven sketch version, and it shows.

[Image: whatthehel128478481283906250.jpg]

(07-02-2012, 01:29 PM)K__ Wrote: [Image: tagseeker.png]

So did anyone check if using simple items (any set) instead of the normal models has any (positive) effect on framerate? Just to see if it would help ppl playing on low end machines.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

It seems like the pk3 disappeared, I'll just put one back here.

Attached Files
.pk3   zzz_simpleitems-v0r4.pk3 (Size: 858.52 KB / Downloads: 15)

I've sent the latest to rafallus, which includes some small tweaks, mine layer and LG...

I made a comparison, tbh these simple items are awesome!

*sorry for the bad audio*

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random items & loot Lyberta 3 4,276 10-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  simple Xonotic starter app Freddy 13 10,395 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Pendulla