Create an account

Poll: What do you think?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good Idea! let's give it a try!
54.55%
6 54.55%
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad!
45.45%
5 45.45%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Revolutionizing Shooter

Hello,

I'm playing FPS for over 10 years and have an idea which could make Arena Shooter or Shooter in general better.

When you look up you are blocked and have to make a weird movement to turn around. the same problem occurs when you look down. This just feels annoying in an arena shooter were people are jumping over you and you can't shoot them, because of the mentioned blockage.

My suggestion would be to remove the blocking, meaning when you look up, you can move your mouse further up, when you reached the "other side" you can simply move your mouse down and he will turn the other side as nothing happened.
This feature could of course be optional since I don't know if it would work.

TLDR; Please remove the blockage when looking up or down.

I hope you understand what I mean, but I think this feature could make Xonotic a special Arena Shooter Smile

There are the cvars in_pitch_max and in_pitch_min which allow you to adjust how far you can look up and down respectively. By default, they are 90 and -90, but can go up to 180 and -180 which allows you to do full backflips. I set mine to 110 to get a little extra leeway in vertical combat; -110 makes certain laser jumps easier for me. Not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind.

On another note, welcome to the forums!

I think he means making yaw rotate after pitch maxes out, i'd be willing to try it out if it was implemented...
It certainly *sounds* like a good idea.

Welcome to the forums.

Have you heard of these? ;-)
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_1_descent_2
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_3_expansion
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Don't try to compare FPS and space... flight simulators. They are diVverent. I like the idea and it looks like it can be implemented by anybody at any time. I am going to try it straight away.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zQZkpum08A
[Image: 10834.png]
[Image: favicon-vflZlzSbU.ico] #xonotic.au / #XDF on QuakeNET

10 years of FPS, how many with Xonotic?

(10-28-2012, 01:34 AM)aa Wrote: Don't try to compare FPS and space... flight simulators. They are diVverent. I like the idea and it looks like it can be implemented by anybody at any time. I am going to try it straight away.

Descent is an FPS. The Freespace games were space sims.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-28-2012, 01:05 AM)s1lencer Wrote: I think he means making yaw rotate after pitch maxes out, i'd be willing to try it out if it was implemented...
It certainly *sounds* like a good idea.

Welcome to the forums.

Okay, but when it's automatically rotated, up becomes down and down becomes up. Imagine that you're moving your mouse up, twenty degrees or so past the upper pitch limit, and you want to go even further to level your aim horizontally. As soon as your view is auto-rotated, you need to move your mouse *down* to continue the movement. I can't imagine this not being confusing.

(10-27-2012, 11:52 PM)mudkip Wrote: There are the cvars in_pitch_max and in_pitch_min which allow you to adjust how far you can look up and down respectively. By default, they are 90 and -90, but can go up to 180 and -180 which allows you to do full backflips. I set mine to 110 to get a little extra leeway in vertical combat; -110 makes certain laser jumps easier for me.

I would consider any clientside manipulation of this as cheating!
But i really would prefer an official setting which is higher than 90/-90 degrees.
The minsta players tried this already in Nexuiz.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

(10-28-2012, 05:35 AM)RaptorFX Wrote: I would consider any clientside manipulation of this as cheating!
But i really would prefer an official setting which is higher than 90/-90 degrees.
The minsta players tried this already in Nexuiz.

It's a configuration variable and it's meant to be changed by players. There could be hardcoded boundaries to it though, but I think it's ok to let players look further than straight down to improve control in laserjumping for example.

I think it should be limited to somthing like.. 115 degrees.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(10-28-2012, 04:14 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: As soon as your view is auto-rotated, you need to move your mouse *down* to continue the movement. I can't imagine this not being confusing.
This is a very valid point. I'm pretty sure once demonstrated this would be enough of an issue to make it close to unplayable.

Is it enough of an issue not being able to smoothly look past 90 degrees? Look at it this way: who are you going to be shooting at vertically above you and aren't they going to be having exactly the same problem looking down past 90 degrees?

There is no reason to implement this.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(10-28-2012, 01:25 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Have you heard of these? ;-)
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_1_descent_2
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/descent_3_expansion

i was about to post these games too
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Oh descent, how I adore thee.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

Descent has yaw control though, so it makes sense.

EDIT: had -> has.

There would have to be a way of getting you back upright once you moved past the centre of gravity for this. Other than, that, i'd like to see something like this in Xonotic. More tactics never hurt anyone ... I think.
How long is a piece of string?

(11-05-2012, 11:12 AM)anark10n Wrote: There would have to be a way of getting you back upright once you moved past the centre of gravity for this. Other than, that, i'd like to see something like this in Xonotic. More tactics never hurt anyone ... I think.

That's what I mentioned above and it could be a source of confusion.

would it mitigate confusion if the rotation would be slower; only the rotation, not the aiming. would make sense, as one would have no way of maintaining the speed of the turn. i imagine that's how it works in the real world, no? friction and all those wonderful physics. plus, i could think of some animations that would make it look the coolest Cool

Are we speaking about the same thing? We're talking about looking up further than to the vertical to see behind the player, and rotating the view after a moment to make it upright. The problem is that the player has no control on how or when the view is rotated upright and that can make things really confusing.

yes. that's what i'm talking about. idon't think the player should be in control of any of that once he goes beyond the veritcal. portal had such a system to get you back upright if you ended up throwing yourself off your orientation, which happened frequently. although, portal isn't the best comparison since movement was slower in there than for xonotic.

(11-06-2012, 02:00 AM)anark10n Wrote: although, portal isn't the best comparison since movement was slower in there than for xonotic.

That's the point. If you want to look farther up than vertically in a fighting situation, the last thing you want is to lose control over your aim.

couldn't it be limited to just affecting the action needed for looking past the vertical limit without affecting aim speed, though? won't know until an attempt is made. i might even take a shot at it, once some free time opens up. oh, for some free time ... Sad