Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Proposed announcer demo

(08-30-2012, 10:20 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No, that means it's where it should be. Are you sure your autobuild is up to date?

I am positive, I have kept updating and compiling it. Is there anyway I can check just to be sure?

Wait, how do you compile it??? Autobuilds are precompiled.

(08-30-2012, 11:01 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Wait, how do you compile it??? Autobuilds are precompiled.

I compile via the instructions from this wiki page http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...in_Windows which I liked because it was similar to how I used git in Linux.

(08-30-2012, 04:09 PM)Squigger Wrote: I compile via the instructions from this wiki page http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...in_Windows which I liked because it was similar to how I used git in Linux.

Okay, but that's not an Autobuild then Smile

Anyway, if you grab the latest sources (are you sure you updated everything??) it should work, regardless of using auto- or local build.
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I guess it helps to know I was not using autobuild after all, sorry for the confusion lol Tongue

So what am I actually using and how can I be sure that all my sources are updated? And how can I update them in case they aren't?

Well since autobuild is baded on the current sources, it shouldn't really make a difference. Anyway, to update your sources, just follow the instructions =)

EDIT: zykure, I'm sure he got that part right

Squigger, when did you follow this wiki page? Because I just recently rewrote it all. I'd like to know if you're using the most recent version. The old one (with xonpatch) was very broken.

You are downloading the git sources and compiling them yourself. Autobuilds are release-like builds (i.e. they are already compiled and packaged just like official releases are). Git is somewhat nicer than autobuilds because you can use different branches (so you could compile the tzork/overkill branch and play overkill or host a server locally for example) or even switch back to an older revision of the code, as far as Xonotic's first months! But it's also somewhat worse because it takes considerably more disk space due to redundancy in the git object directory and uncompressed textures. The uncompressed textures also mean that performance isn't as good as it would be in autobuilds.

Anyway, could you tell me the output of this command? (after doing cd xonotic of course):
Code:
git config remote.origin.url

It should tell you something like git://nl.git.xonotic.org/xonotic/xonotic.git, but possibly with something else in place of nl. If you're using the us.git.xonotic.org mirror, then your situation is normal. The US mirror is quite behind (-z- should do something about this but it's kind of hard to reach him when he has time for it). You can switch to the nl (netherlands) or de (germany) mirror by doing this:
Code:
./all update -l nl
or
Code:
./all update -l de

EDIT: added paragraph explaining the difference with autobuild.

(08-30-2012, 05:13 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: zykure, I'm sure he got that part right

Squigger, when did you follow this wiki page? Because I just recently rewrote it all. I'd like to know if you're using the most recent version. The old one (with xonpatch) was very broken.

You are downloading the git sources and compiling them yourself. Autobuilds are release-like builds (i.e. they are already compiled and packaged just like official releases are). Git is somewhat nicer than autobuilds because you can use different branches (so you could compile the tzork/overkill branch and play overkill or host a server locally for example) or even switch back to an older revision of the code, as far as Xonotic's first months! But it's also somewhat worse because it takes considerably more disk space due to redundancy in the git object directory and uncompressed textures. The uncompressed textures also mean that performance isn't as good as it would be in autobuilds.

Anyway, could you tell me the output of this command? (after doing cd xonotic of course):
Code:
git config remote.origin.url

It should tell you something like git://nl.git.xonotic.org/xonotic/xonotic.git, but possibly with something else in place of nl. If you're using the us.git.xonotic.org mirror, then your situation is normal. The US mirror is quite behind (-z- should do something about this but it's kind of hard to reach him when he has time for it). You can switch to the nl (netherlands) or de (germany) mirror by doing this:
Code:
./all update -l nl
or
Code:
./all update -l de

EDIT: added paragraph explaining the difference with autobuild.

Yep it was from the US, so that would explain it. I am currently updating with the Netherlands one and see if it works. I will update with an edit later.

EDIT:
IT WOOOOORRRKKKKSSSS!!!!! Big Grin

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this .

One last question, to ensure that my sources keep updating do I need to keep including the Netherlands or should the code [./all update] suffice from now on?

./all update will suffice, it stores your mirror in the configs. When there is news about the US mirror and if I remember the promise I'm about to write, I'll have -z- post a thread (or I'll make my own) to notify people about it so that you can switch back. Meanwhile, the US server will probably get stuck in july or so, so you better use the NL or DE ones.

(08-31-2012, 01:37 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: ./all update will suffice, it stores your mirror in the configs. When there is news about the US mirror and if I remember the promise I'm about to write, I'll have -z- post a thread (or I'll make my own) to notify people about it so that you can switch back. Meanwhile, the US server will probably get stuck in july or so, so you better use the NL or DE ones.

Roger, I will be sure to remind you of your promise Wink

Hey guys, deepest apologies for the disappearance. Lost my job, but I'm finally back in action. Gotta get my studio back in order, get things going again, and get back to work on this. Hope you guys can still use it.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

(09-25-2012, 02:31 PM)bitbomb Wrote: Hey guys, deepest apologies for the disappearance. Lost my job, but I'm finally back in action. Gotta get my studio back in order, get things going again, and get back to work on this. Hope you guys can still use it.

No problem dude, glad to see that your are back Big Grin

Well I already pm'd you, but .. welcome back from me, too! Big Grin

Since editing down the test batch will take a bit of time, I figured I'd post the raw session if anyone happens to be interested. This is straight production, no editing or post production. These are not the final takes, there are probably a lot of these phrases that may not end up getting used, or some phrases we need that aren't there. Anyway, here's the link, more news to come:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40671139/2012-12...ession.ogg

The script: http://piratepad.net/L6emUHMEpk

EDIT: One added thought, if anyone is interested helping out with the editing, do not do it from this .ogg file, I can send you the uncompressed original.

(12-18-2012, 01:28 PM)bitbomb Wrote: Since editing down the test batch will take a bit of time, I figured I'd post the raw session if anyone happens to be interested. This is straight production, no editing or post production. These are not the final takes, there are probably a lot of these phrases that may not end up getting used, or some phrases we need that aren't there. Anyway, here's the link, more news to come:

EDIT: One added thought, if anyone is interested helping out with the editing, do not do it from this .ogg file, I can send you the uncompressed original.

I would like to mess around with it, could you send me a link to the original in a PM?
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

(12-18-2012, 01:28 PM)bitbomb Wrote: Since editing down the test batch will take a bit of time, I figured I'd post the raw session if anyone happens to be interested. This is straight production, no editing or post production. These are not the final takes, there are probably a lot of these phrases that may not end up getting used, or some phrases we need that aren't there. Anyway, here's the link, more news to come:

nice already, can't wait to hear the final product. Smile

The replacement preamp will give me a lot more freedom (and much better quality), will be able to force my voice less and let it flex, get some better loose lows without being so squeezed.

Archer: Will send. Just a warning, the uncompressed version is around 110MB, 30 minutes. If you want to mess with effects, please keep a journal of your signal chain so it can be reproduced if you come up with anything we want to use.

(12-19-2012, 09:18 AM)bitbomb Wrote: Archer: Will send. Just a warning, the uncompressed version is around 110MB, 30 minutes. If you want to mess with effects, please keep a journal of your signal chain so it can be reproduced if you come up with anything we want to use.

Will do Wink

Just upload it to dropbox or something, should be nice and easy.
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music How can I replace the announcer sounds with the ones I want? tempest 1 311 02-07-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  New Announcer: eSpeak Mario 2 4,783 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: 3agle427
  [NEED HELP] Custom Announcer 3agle427 4 3,982 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Very Metal Announcer mod Smilecythe 4 7,461 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Xonotic testing : Announcer for player join the match zeroql 20 17,766 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Peer Editing Of Announcer Script Samual 3 12,566 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bitbomb
  Proposed Marine player sounds bitbomb 1 4,119 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Morphed