Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desert Factory Port to Xonotic Suggestions

Shocked 
Desert Factory was an popular Nexuiz map back in the day.  I missed a some Nexuiz maps that haven't been ported so I deiced to do it.  Starting with this map than I will probably move on to Accident_v3.  What I mean by porting is re-texturing and moding the map so it fits in to Xonotic better like add trick jumps ramps, etc.. and changing the theme to Si-Fi.

I began working on porting the beloved Desert Factory to Xonotic.  I have spend on hour on re-texturing, it's not competed, however tell me what you think of it.

I am probably going to change the name to Abandoned Factory as the desert in the name wouldn't fit any more since I am going to change the name and it's would fit because it been abandoned since the days of Nexuiz.  For the theme basically cloning Erbium, that jungle abandoned look.  The other option is to make it look like it's on mars like how the maps of: Red-Planet and Glow-Planet looked like.  What theme would you want?  Also where can I get more textures?

BTW, the bad light in the map is on purpose.

Link to the map: https://mega.nz/#!6dMECK4Q!YWZTI7-Yf8NfG...U4D9In4_uY

Nice to see some interest in this old map.
However, I recommend to use the latest version 1.1 as basis.

Also, please update all metadata when you share a map package, to make clear that it is a modified version and prevent confusion.
Affected files:
  • maps/<mapname>.txt (Add your text at the beginning, and mark where the original text starts)
  • maps/<mapname>.jpg (Howto)
  • maps/<mapname>.mapinfo (Either modify existing or create a new one)
  • maps/<mapname>.map (Before re-compiling the map)

(07-21-2018, 04:07 AM)sev Wrote: Nice to see some interest in this old map.
However, I recommend to use the latest version 1.1 as basis.

Also, please update all metadata when you share a map package, to make clear that it is a modified version and prevent confusion.
Affected files:
  • maps/<mapname>.txt (Add your text at the beginning, and mark where the original text starts)
  • maps/<mapname>.jpg (Howto)
  • maps/<mapname>.mapinfo (Either modify existing or create a new one)
  • maps/<mapname>.map (Before re-compiling the map)

Aren't you the author of that map?  If so what are your thoughts?  And do you have any other maps?

By the way, thanks for the download for a newer version because I was using the version from Nexuiz for my base.

(07-21-2018, 01:50 AM)MathCubes Wrote: I have spend on hour on re-texturing, it's not competed [...]

(07-21-2018, 04:33 AM)MathCubes Wrote: Aren't you the author of that map?  If so what are your thoughts?

Yes, I made that map almost 10 years ago.

Overall the port seems very unfinished.
While I appreciate the effort to modernize the map, the architecture is made for the original look, with old-fashioned arches and steam boilers.
It will be a challenge to make it look coherent with modern textures. Though an overgrown look like in Erbium would be quite cool.

On a practical note, the new checkerboard texture is very similar to the "File not found" texture, which makes the port look even more unfinished.

(07-21-2018, 09:13 AM)sev Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 01:50 AM)MathCubes Wrote: I have spend on hour on re-texturing, it's not competed [...]

(07-21-2018, 04:33 AM)MathCubes Wrote: Aren't you the author of that map?  If so what are your thoughts?

Yes, I made that map almost 10 years ago.

Overall the port seems very unfinished.
While I appreciate the effort to modernize the map, the architecture is made for the original look, with old-fashioned arches and steam boilers.
It will be a challenge to make it look coherent with modern textures. Though an overgrown look like in Erbium would be quite cool.

On a practical note, the new checkerboard texture is very similar to the "File not found" texture, which makes the port look even more unfinished.

I post it to get a feed back form that look that I was going with.  I intentionally delete some walls and stuff because I didn't want anyone to play on a unfinished map.  I thought to do the original look with higher res texture, however, I had a hard time finding textures to replace them with because there was no higher res texture of rust, red brick, and wood in the game.   Then after that re-theme it and rename it to Abandoned factory for a overgrown look.

if where I can get those textures that would be compatible with the license let me know.
I know that map license under the GPL which is great in my mind.

Finding good textures can be difficult.

It might be easier to find suitable base photographs and create textures yourself.
In my experience, this is a good oportunity to improve one's image editing skills.
There should be some helpful threads in the forum, for example tools of the trade.

Wikimedia maintains a list of free media resources.
A particularly interesting source is LibreShot by Martin Vorel.

Thoughts?  http://blendersauce.com/the-blendersauce...-textures/

(07-21-2018, 07:50 PM)MathCubes Wrote: Thoughts?  http://blendersauce.com/the-blendersauce...-textures/

Seems fine. Not all textures are photo-realistic, but they have a decent resolution. Note that the textures are licensed under the CC-BY. As far as I know, this is compatible with the game license, but it is your responsibility to fullfill the license terms.

Btw. this <map>.jpg can also be a .png with alpha channel if you'd like to introduce other shapes than the standard rectangle.

(07-22-2018, 08:35 AM)sev Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 07:50 PM)MathCubes Wrote: Thoughts?  http://blendersauce.com/the-blendersauce...-textures/

Seems fine. Not all textures are photo-realistic, but they have a decent resolution. Note that the textures are licensed under the CC-BY. As far as I know, this is compatible with the game license, but it is your responsibility to fullfill the license terms.

I will attempt to just to make my own textures and just replace them with the corresponding textures within the pk3 map files and just recompile the map because I am just lazy like that.

Andi "AGF81" textures (CC BY 3.0): https://www.deviantart.com/agf81/gallery/
Hugues Muller "Nobiax" textures (CC0 1.0): https://www.deviantart.com/yughues/gallery/
Simon "Sock" O'Callaghan (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0): http://www.simonoc.com/pages/artwork.htm

Scott Coxhead "Cr4zy" textures (CC BY-SA 3.0): http://www.cr4zyb4st4rd.co.uk/textures.html

Desert factory is probably one of my favourite maps! Thanks to sev for making it. 

I look forward to seeing a refurbished version in xonotic, I will have a lookat the wip and try to provide useful feedback.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

For my knowledge -- why does porting require re-texturing? Are the original texture license restrictive? I had always assumed that Nexuiz maps are most compatible to Xonotic, no?

(07-27-2018, 04:36 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: For my knowledge -- why does porting require re-texturing? Are the original texture license restrictive? I had always assumed that Nexuiz maps are most compatible to Xonotic, no?

It should work fine with Xonotic. The map is fully compatible with the GPL. The textures are based on Nexuiz textures or public domain images (full credits in maps/desertfactory.txt), the sounds are donated by Tenshihan.

However, the textures are low-res, without normal/heightmaps. So there is definitely room for improvement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Rainbow Factory: Large and evil map supporting every gametype Melanosuchus 4 5,590 05-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Matuka
  Duel Map Suggestions nvz 21 20,425 04-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Matuka
  Old Steel Complex (UT2004 community map port) MirceaKitsune 20 21,951 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Stormkeep suggestions K__ 17 14,509 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Last Post: K__
  Lord Of The Moths (port of an UT2004 outdoor map) MirceaKitsune 8 12,145 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Last Post: node357
  minideck_v4r2 preview / call for suggestions lda17h 10 9,582 12-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Sepelio