Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting tool that may be useful

SCRATCH: Not GPL compatible

Fun!!!!!
[Image: e535ydvkprrb6izcpxti.png]

I wasn't joking about the usefulness of this tool. If you know what your doing you can easily make some stone, ice, water, or even some interesting clouds. Check this out:

[Image: u7z6zd1gtu44fvdizu80_thumb.jpg]

Ahhh...very nice...I see what you mean. It will be something to mess with tomorrow.

I bet you could make some great teleport graphics with this.
You could also make some neat skydomes with this:

[Image: Flame_20100326-065655.jpg]

Just screwing around I made this:

[Image: w204y9vol6vw1ac9xdr6_thumb.jpg]

You could put some of these into a 3d generator and probably get some good explosion graphics.

(03-26-2010, 01:33 AM)Erusavion Wrote: You could put some of these into a 3d generator and probably get some good explosion graphics.

Too much of a noob to do that. lol though I did just download gmsh.

I was just naming off some good uses of this system.

Quote:You can use any artworks created with Flame for free for your
non-commercial game project.

Therefore you can't use it with Xonotic.

(03-27-2010, 02:15 AM)Alien Wrote:
Quote:You can use any artworks created with Flame for free for your
non-commercial game project.

Therefore you can't use it with Xonotic.

What?

Xonotic is GPL.. GPL has a "don't care stance" on commercial. One IS allowed to slap Xonotic (and its sources!!!) on a CD and sell it. And at this point it would not be a non-commercial thing. So that part is incompatible with GPL.
Real signature is still in production!

OK Scratch the flame tool.

Yeah, a very cool tool!

May creating some sick textures with it? (water, lava...?)
Creating skydomes with it is a real nice idea... Smile

Even if this is not GPL "compatible", I'd like to know the name of this tool.. anyone?
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

It´s name is "Flame"...
Not allowed to post a link of it?

This is the program I was talking about. It is "free to use for non-commercial purposes" therefore it is not GPL compatible. However it's a fun program, and I imagine it would be useful to mappers so here it is again.

http://www.escapemotions.com/experiments...x.html#top

I don't really get it, Photoshop isn't GPL nor do they give explicit permission that you can use the images created whit it for a commercial project. You are the owner of your creation.
Secondly it seems like the author of the app doesn't really care what you do whit it, chances that he will ever show up and complain about copyright looks very slim.

(03-27-2010, 04:28 PM)O.I.B. Wrote: Secondly it seems like the author of the app doesn't really care what you do whit it, chances that he will ever show up and complain about copyright looks very slim.
That's like getting drunk under the table and driving because "the police in my city are laid back and chances are they won't show up and complain".

Here's a possible alternate: Fyre. However, isn't under active development and also has no linux version.

(03-27-2010, 04:28 PM)O.I.B. Wrote: I don't really get it, Photoshop isn't GPL nor do they give explicit permission that you can use the images created whit it for a commercial project. You are the owner of your creation.
Secondly it seems like the author of the app doesn't really care what you do whit it, chances that he will ever show up and complain about copyright looks very slim.

You can also ask him if it may be used in Xonotic. He'll probably say yes.

Also, thanks for the link Smile Nice tool!
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

(03-27-2010, 06:47 PM)Ang Wrote:
(03-27-2010, 04:28 PM)O.I.B. Wrote: I don't really get it, Photoshop isn't GPL nor do they give explicit permission that you can use the images created whit it for a commercial project. You are the owner of your creation.

You can also ask him if it may be used in Xonotic. He'll probably say yes.

Also, thanks for the link Smile Nice tool!

He said it could be used for non-commercial purposes. As was pointed out earlier, the GPL doesn't care if you sell a program. Selling a copy of Xonotic would then make it commercial use. You can still use it to make third party content such as unofficial textures and such provided you don't sell any copies or place it under a license (such as GPL) that allows selling it.

So...What about creating textures with it?

Can I place some textures anywhere (for suggesting some of them for the game?)

Well you can ofc post them on the forum.. but better use a link to some image site and not include them here directly due to the size of textures.

But remember that textures created with this tool can not be accepted into official Xonotic as that tool is not GPL compatible.
Real signature is still in production!

So I experimented a bit with Gimp(for GPL) and wanted to get out some lava textures.
My first tries were very easy..It didnt took me a lot of time Tongue , just look at these two:
[Image: lava1L380J.jpg]
[Image: lava25XCBW.jpg]

What do you think about these? May not very beautiful, just a trie... Smile

I like the default watery lava more than any texture that anybody can make.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sRGB tool Nahuel 1 2,988 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Pictures of useful things Spaceman 8 6,457 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Spaceman
  Img2Map Tool _para 6 9,309 12-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Last Post: clanclanclan