Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Shield Powerup

Currently am I correcting in assuming the shield soaks up 80% of the damage you receive or reduces damage by 80%?

For me, this feels like way too much..sometime it take's in team game's like 4 people chasing someone with the shield and shooting them for quite some time before they die.

Is it possible to get a reduction to say 50%, so it reduces damage taken by 50% and not 80%?

Would make it more as a power up and less about being near invincible if you have 100/100 and pick up the shield, it makes killing in CTF a flag carrier or attacker atleast entering your base ridiculously hard at the moment, and I find it mostly on CTF maps.

Opinions please.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Not sure about it.
But.. the shield is something that can decide which team will win the game (CTF). So a team need to watch that too and time it.
Though its often a 'free cap'.
Maybe need to test that (50%)..

nerfed to 60% damage taken in fruitiex/balancefruit
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Completly agree, have to test out the new shield settings in the next 5on5 Pickup.

You know it really is true when people say "everything is getting weaker" -- Remember when the quad actually was a quad? ;-) How about when the Nex did 140 damage? ("LOL WHAT DID YOU SAY? IMPOSSIBLE.")

^_^

Or when Invisibility made you _invisible_, not transparent....

Anyway, i think power-ups don't fit Capture The Flag. It seems to distract from the team-play. Less fancy-pansy, more team. (Yes, i've been playing CTF, i admit it.)
4m038105 - Be the change.

(01-09-2011, 07:38 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: Or when Invisibility made you _invisible_, not transparent....

Anyway, i think power-ups don't fit Capture The Flag. It seems to distract from the team-play. Less fancy-pansy, more team. (Yes, i've been playing CTF, i admit it.)
Well that reminds me of what Taoki (MirceaKitsune) has been working on, actually... You see, he's making "relics" which are essentially randomly spawned powers in the form of a mutator which can be applied to any game mode. And some of those relics actually are designed to benefit team mates... So the idea is that: You pick up a relic, but it doesn't benefit YOU, it benefits your entire team (If the team mate is close to you).

That really couldn't be applied to strength or shield well (Or rather, I don't think it should) -- But disabling those powerups and enabling team-only relics would be fantastic.

If someone has strength and is fighting someone with shield, neither person should have the advantage. IMHO this is the easiest way to balance them with each other.

The fact that the shield is a free cap (often) is in most cases because people don't rush for it when they see it charging. If people did, then whoever did get it wouldn't actually be that much better off, because he'd be quite weak anyway (same reason body armor doesn't help you if you're down to 1hp).

Thumbs Down 
(01-09-2011, 07:38 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: Or when Invisibility made you _invisible_, not transparent....

I totally agree. I prefer good teamwork over a bunch of lone players with power ups going alone.

Don't want to be mean here, but i have to side with Samual. Sometimes you need a free cap when your down on a 3-7 game. Thing is in my experience, the powerup control is a team effort, not a one-man dick waving show. You have to keep the other team off it and you, if you grab the powerup, you need to make sure you don't fuck up (make it to enemy fc for strength, don't fall off the map with shield, etc).

Furthermore, I think its more of a map issue vs. the actual power up. If you make the shield hard to get then controlling it will be a challenge, one that requires teamwork, which is good/more fun. It won't be fun if they are just handed to you (although egg and bacon is fun in a certain way Big Grin ).
bye / bad luck and have boredom