Create an account

Poll: What do you think?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, go for it.
81.25%
13 81.25%
No, i dont like it.
0%
0 0%
No, it should be clan based
6.25%
1 6.25%
No, im afraid there are not enough people from my country.
12.50%
2 12.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonolympia or Nations Cup

There have been quite many different suggestions for tourneys. So whats about combining them to the Olympic Games of Xonotic or a Nations Cup?
In my opinion its the best way to please many people at once.

The teams could be made by nations. When there are nations could get just 2 players together they could team up.
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1146
this thread showed there is a possibility to do this. I suggest a minimum 3 player per team, so there its possible to do some team modes too.

the disciplines for example could be
- duel
- 2on2 tdm
- 2on2 nexball
- 3on3 ca
- 3on3 ctf

every discipline will get a separate tourney. Every nation can chose one participant/one participating team for every tourney.
the winner will get for example 5 points, the second 4, the third 3 and so on. After all tourneys are played the points will be sum up and the nation with the most point wins.

I guess it works only in the EU.

So what do you think?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Sounds nice.

I want to play for Germany! Smile

What about pings? Wouldn't the "home team" have a substantial advantage?
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Whaaa? How could this even possibly be equal? Just as clanclanclan says, NA versus EU = total fail. This would only be able to work for Europeans... Sad -- it would work for you since there are many countries around there, but still.....

Of course, you could try and find common ground where EVERYONE has 150+ ping. ;3

(BTW, there aren't really a whole lot of NA players right now -- But my clan mate is intending on doing a Xonotic NA tourney here soon)

Idea is good. Unfortunately, no way to do this in good conditions.
The only thing we can do is :
- EU cup
- NA cup (enough ppl ?)
- AU cup (same ?)
Intercontinental play makes nosens.

Btw, France is here =)
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

(01-17-2011, 08:37 PM)Samual Wrote: Of course, you could try and find common ground where EVERYONE has 150+ ping. ;3

Another possibility is that one game will be played on a us server and one on a eu server. But that most likely end up in a dawn.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(01-18-2011, 04:07 AM)PGP_Qz Wrote: Idea is good. Unfortunately, no way to do this in good conditions.
The only thing we can do is :
- EU cup
- NA cup (enough ppl ?)
- AU cup (same ?)
Intercontinental play makes nosens.

Btw, France is here =)

Actually NA is like.. USA, Canada (, Mexico?) and AU Australia and New Zealand. Does not make sooo much sense. Tongue
Though tbh their playerbase was "better" (more active) in Nexuiz. More tourneys and stuff.

Nations cup would be good in my opinion.

I have spoken to Mirio about this on several occasions some time ago, which he can confirm, as we discussed about a CTF 5v5 nations cup/tournament

Unfortunalye AU/NA are unlikely to be unable to play in this due to pings, but this has never caused an issue, as they always hosted there own tourneys anyway..however a low pinging US side might be able to play decently (Seen it done in UT & Q3)

I think it is better that we wait till we get more player's about, or just after the first 1.0 release, a nations cup would be really good then and be a good promoter for games/tournaments to come after, also at the moment I don't think some 'countries' would have enough player's, I like though that we have pickup activity (in the EU) already, much much more then nexuiz..even though were only at 0.1 of the game, this is amazing Smile

Spoke to Mirio, about potential player's for each country and there definitelty was more then enough, I just think we should take our time, get a nice maplist (pickup maps?) and not rush this, let's get increased clan activity first and more player's then go forward with it.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(01-18-2011, 02:06 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I have spoken to Mirio about this on several occasions some time ago, which he can confirm, as we discussed about a CTF 5v5 nations cup/tournament

Well at the moment there are just a few countries which could participate in such a cup. Sweden, Germany, Poland and France are the only one which come to my mind. Another thing, not everyone likes CTF.

(01-18-2011, 02:06 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I think it is better that we wait till we get more player's about, or just after the first 1.0 release, a nations cup would be really good then and be a good promoter for games/tournaments to come after, also at the moment I don't think some 'countries' would have enough player's,

I'd disagree with you. When we start early with tournament, cups, etc. players can stick to the game, because there is always a new challenge. A point where nexuiz failed. There is a long road till 1.0, which wont happen soon. I listed only modes, which are playable with a small team too. A multimode cup would be the best idea at the moment to reach a bigger audience, so people who dont like ctf could play duel or tdm.

Take a look a the "what's your nationality / native language" thread.
A german, a swedish,a french,a polish, an italian, a spanish and a russian would be possible, with a team size of three. Unsure would be a UK, a hungarian, a romanian, a greek, a finnish and a dutch team. there might be not enough player.

(01-18-2011, 02:06 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I just think we should take our time, get a nice maplist (pickup maps?) and not rush this, let's get increased clan activity first and more player's then go forward with it.
We dont need brand new maps. A combination of unused custom maps (like bloodrage or relent), nexuiz maps (aneursym, bleach maybe dieselpower) and q3 maps (like mikectf2). You wont increase the clan activity, with waiting for a new version (Just remember the nexuiz 2.0 time, there where only like 4-5 clans) and you can except that suddenly many player appear (as with the release of a AAA title like UT, Quake or CS). You got to do something for it, but i dont say we should start next month. Maybe this summer and on a regular base with changing gamemodes so there will be always something new.

I think NA could round up a group of 5 people who would be willing to kick some but on any pinged server.... If you guys get this started, make a tourney site and allow sign up teams from all over, I cant see why not this wouldn't be pretty cool.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Cortez, I don't know for TDM, but there are plenty of GOOD CTF maps now for xonotic, that are used on the pickup server, moonstone, attic, courtfun etc also agree with mikectf. Think 5-8 maps would be good for that gametype.

A multi-mode nations tournament could be cool indeed, you'd need to make it interesting though like maybe 3-4 game-mode's played twice in a group stage etc etc, just throwing out some idea's, as I already said I had discussed this with Mirio, but weren't sure if it was too early to throw the idea out, he could think of lot's of nexuiz player's but not all of them he's seen playing xonotic yet..I think he had about 12 countries or something naming players.

Also there'd need to be a way for people to put themselves forward as Captain for there country, who would then pick there player's they want to play etc, lot of work so I think it's best just to get idea's for now then go forward from there.

(01-19-2011, 10:21 AM)kojn^ Wrote: I don't know for TDM, but there are plenty of GOOD CTF maps now for xonotic, that are used on the pickup server, moonstone, attic, courtfun etc also agree with mikectf. Think 5-8 maps would be good for that gametype.

i assume you talk about tdm/ctf matches with 4 or 5 player per team, as in unreal tournament. For the beginning we need to keep it low. As a maximum for team modes 3 player, otherwise we would lower the number of possible participants. i use the current situation as a base, its unsure if the number of players increase with the first release.

(01-19-2011, 10:21 AM)kojn^ Wrote: A multi-mode nations tournament could be cool indeed, you'd need to make it interesting though like maybe 3-4 game-mode's played twice in a group stage etc etc, just throwing out some idea's, as I already said I had discussed this with Mirio, but weren't sure if it was too early to throw the idea out, he could think of lot's of nexuiz player's but not all of them he's seen playing xonotic yet.
mixing the game modes,would mean more work to make it even so that every team got the same starting conditions.
It will be easier to make a separate group for every mode, or even easier just an single elimination tree(which means if you got bad luck you get a strong opponent in the first round).

(01-19-2011, 10:21 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Also there'd need to be a way for people to put themselves forward as Captain for there country, who would then pick there player's they want to play etc, lot of work so
That one is easy to solve. nearly every country got player, which are around for quiet some time. Most of them are reliable persons, who are able to take the roll of the team captain. They should be able to speak(well mostly write) understandable english.
There roll is coordinate their team, take care that the matches are arranged (and will be played) and try to find the most suitable game mode for every one.

If we get less than 5 countries I'll vote for tournament rules. Everyone plays every game type with everyone else.

Every country's team can have as many members as it can find and teams can be drafted from them just before the game.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(01-19-2011, 04:28 PM)naryl Wrote: teams can be drafted from them just before the game.

you mean as a replacement if someone is unavaible?

Cortez, I don't see the problem with playing 4v4/5v5 within certain game-modes?

Also, where is the problem with playing different gamemode's you could have each week a game-mode, week1: duel, week2: tdm, week3: ctf week4: assault etc.

(01-19-2011, 04:37 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 04:28 PM)naryl Wrote: teams can be drafted from them just before the game.

That's one way to look at it. I mean every country's captain can make a new team for every game.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

Should just have a team roster, and any player's on that roster can play.

(01-19-2011, 06:22 PM)naryl Wrote:
(01-19-2011, 04:37 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:

That's one way to look at it. I mean every country's captain can make a new team for every game.

of course otherwise it would be mean

(01-19-2011, 05:08 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Cortez, I don't see the problem with playing 4v4/5v5 within certain game-modes?
there is no problem with playing it, but im sure there are some nation teams which cant participate with a team size of 5. The final decision only can be made, when we know for sure how many player will participate for each country.

(01-19-2011, 05:08 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Also, where is the problem with playing different gamemode's you could have each week a game-mode, week1: duel, week2: tdm, week3: ctf week4: assault etc.
there is also no problem with different gamemodes. i even suggested to play different gamemodes in my first post.

The point is every team SHOULD play under the same conditions! (im sure you agree with that) As far i understand you every team should be put in a group and everyone plays everyone. One week per match and every week a different game mod. The idea is also ok, but the fairness is a problem. For example a swedish team (i assume it would be morfar, ai, tzork and kyre) would be good in any mode. As a counterexample, where would a UK team be good (i assume kojn, Rad Ished and The player with the unnecessarily long name), probably maybe just duel.

Or maybe just care too much about a balanced cup.

What about this:

1. Make a sign in topic where people can sign in for their country
2. Check possible countries , assign captains
3. Discuss and choose gamemodes to be played
4. Play "Gamemode 1" Tourney*
5. Play "Gamemode 2" Tourney
[...]
~9. Give points for 1st place, 2nd place etc.
10. Announce winner!

*Like a real tournament with KO rounds and no groups

Everyone can play everything if he wants to/if slots in his team are left. Everyone who signed in for their country should play at least 1 tourney.

Group stage is better, you get more rounds and more action.

But I would do like you:

Discuss game-modes to be played,
Make groups - if there is 6 countries per group then have 6 weeks of game's, one game-mode per week (if there is 3 game-modes, then each gamemode gets played twice for example).

I know what you are saying cortez about teams and trying to have some balance, but if a team has better player's then that's not there fault they shouldn't be punished for it, the only way around this would be that a player from each team let's say in the group stages can only play in 2 out 3 (if there were 3) of the gametypes, so for example I could play in duel, tdm but not ctf, but I think this could cause some team's some problems MAYBE, but probably not too much of a problem..also means that teams have to decide which player's will play in which game-mode's so a bit of stategy Smile

Well, both systems got their advantages and disadvantages.

I would suggest to go this way to plan the cup.
1. See who wants to play and how many teams we get together.
2. discuss which gamemodes will be played, so we dont exclude anyone due a too big team size.
3. Make a poll to let the people decide, which system should be played. group system or tourney system

Still think a group system is better to start off with, especially being a nations tournament.

I agree with 1 & 2, but I would still like to see some 4v4 & 5v5 gametype action if it goes ahead.

(01-20-2011, 02:37 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Still think a group system is better to start off with, especially being a nations tournament.

first we need to know how many participate!

I'm pretty sure you will get a fair few countries to participate!

I think getting more people involved in pickup game's will help also, so they get a feek for communication/area's to defend, quad timing etc.

Xonotic is still an infant anyway, it's good to see a lot of activity just at this stage.

(01-20-2011, 02:37 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Still think a group system is better to start off with, especially being a nations tournament.
i think so too

kojn^ Wrote:but I would still like to see some 4v4 & 5v5 gametype action if it goes ahead.
for some teams gathering 5 players will be impossible. I think we could try with 3 players per team at first. It would be MUCH easier to organize such team. Also, some countries could have more than one team maybe? So all interested players could have a chance to participate.

Aussies Medley tournament is quite neat idea (which also works pretty well, as they had two editions already). So maybe we could try with something like this?
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ZenSports x RJZ 2v2 TDM cup #1 RazorDodger 0 1,282 08-18-2021, 02:12 PM
Last Post: RazorDodger
  [FEFU] Xonotic LAN Duel Cup AriosJentu 1 2,225 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  ZenSports mock Duel Cup kanyeshrayz 0 1,861 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  ZenSports Xonotic Duel Cup 5.000.000 SPORTS prize. kanyeshrayz 2 4,264 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,428 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql
  3v3 CTF/Insta+Hook Cup Sl@va 7 5,537 03-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Last Post: Sl@va
  2v2 TDM Cup | RJZ Cups ccCam 3 3,232 01-31-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: wxyzzyrd
  Ch4mp's Xonotic Duel Cup #1 PayTheBill 1 2,909 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  LETS GO SLAP ONLY CUP! thimo 3 2,741 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Lightbringer
  Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 Mirio 15 10,322 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Mirio