Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!

Just thought I drop by and say "Hi!" I started playing Nexius just before the fork and I'm running the auto build version. I enjoy playing Xonotic, but I don't consider myself a gamer. The games I've played over the years are basically:

Doom and Heavy Metal on Linux.
Tomb Raider and a few flight sims (When I ran Windows)

Yea, it has been a while since I've played anything on a regular basis. Much less an online game, but Xonotic has changed that. Smile

Say, can anyone recommend a decent game controller to use with Xonotic running on Linux? I'm using the keyboard and mouse right now. It works, but switching weapons with the mouse is a pain.

I hope to see everyone around.

Antaris.

Hello, and welcome to the world of gamers! Smile
Tbh, I don't recommend gamepads at all. But for switching weapons, I'd recommend the keyboard, it has ton of keys to bind the weapons to.
Some play with arrows (I've done so in the very beginning, when I started playing FPS games), and I've bound the weapons to the nearby function keys: Ins, del, home, end etc.
Now, that I play with ESDF (not WASD, my thumb is too small for that, I can't reach the SPACE key well Big Grin ), I bind my weapons to the nearby buttons:
Q - Laser
R - Rocket Launcher
T - Xon riffle
Z - Electro
U - Crylink
G - Grenade launcher
H - Machine gun
C - Shotgun
V - Hagar
B - Fireball

Imho this is a very comfy setup, but feel free to experiment! There's a menu panel to change almost every important binds in the game.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hi.

[Image: 00018.jpg]
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

PS3 SixAxis controller is your best bet if you want to attempt playing that way. The analog sticks are easier to use than most other pads, which allows for something close to precision aiming. Don't use built-in joystick support (it's poor); use qjoypad to map mouse buttons and keyboard keys to your controller.

Hia!

I have railgun mapped to 'q' and grenade launcher on 'e', because that is the most common and affective combo. I use my ring finger to reach for '1' when I need to switch to laser. Moved my grapple/jetpack key to control key, use my pinky for it. Other than that I use my scroll wheel. Also use laser right click a lot. WASD for movement btw.

Do you play NA or EU?

Hello.

Changing weapons with mouse ftw!! Tongue

Welcome to Xonotic!
4m038105 - Be the change.

(07-14-2011, 09:18 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Hia!

I have railgun mapped to 'q' and grenade launcher on 'e', because that is the most common and affective combo. I use my ring finger to reach for '1' when I need to switch to laser. Moved my grapple/jetpack key to control key, use my pinky for it. Other than that I use my scroll wheel. Also use laser right click a lot. WASD for movement btw.

Do you play NA or EU?

NA. I'll have to play around with the key mapping a bit. I have mapped stuff to 'q' and 'e'. Definitely WASD for movement. Smile Good suggestions.
(07-15-2011, 08:36 AM)Mirio Wrote: Hello.

I guess I should have said scroll wheel.
(07-14-2011, 12:54 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Hello, and welcome to the world of gamers! Smile
Tbh, I don't recommend gamepads at all. But for switching weapons, I'd recommend the keyboard, it has ton of keys to bind the weapons to.
Some play with arrows (I've done so in the very beginning, when I started playing FPS games), and I've bound the weapons to the nearby function keys: Ins, del, home, end etc.
Now, that I play with ESDF (not WASD, my thumb is too small for that, I can't reach the SPACE key well Big Grin ), I bind my weapons to the nearby buttons:
Q - Laser
R - Rocket Launcher
T - Xon riffle
Z - Electro
U - Crylink
G - Grenade launcher
H - Machine gun
C - Shotgun
V - Hagar
B - Fireball

Imho this is a very comfy setup, but feel free to experiment! There's a menu panel to change almost every important binds in the game.

You know RDFG may work. That would leave QWASZX, and the space bar. It feels weird to me though.

(07-16-2011, 12:45 AM)Antairs Wrote:
(07-15-2011, 08:36 AM)Mirio Wrote: Hello.

I guess I should have said scroll wheel.

I use it. Wink You can change the order of the weapons in the menu: Multiplayer -> Player Setup -> Weapon settings button

(07-16-2011, 12:45 AM)Antairs Wrote: NA.

Oh good! we don't have near enough NA players. I'll warn you though, most the servers online are empty, but if you want to duel with me (sounds like I've been around about the same amount of time) come on #xonotic.pickup on irc.quakenet.org and we can go to the fight club server or something.
Smile