Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Construction kit

Construction kit turrets can be built with. If ckit is enabled, when turrets are destroyed, they should be gone forever (as they can be rebuilt).

Need a dispenser here.

Or perhaps a repair tool, for assault games
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Or perhaps a version of Siege XXL for Xonotic.

http://www.heiland.co.uk/siege/intro.html

Best mod ever, it's played on CTF maps where each flag is replaced by a base core. Picture RTS on the ground with your only objectives being to destroy your enemy's core and protect your own. Earn resources for raising hell, use said resources to upgrade, repair, and build stuff (such as protectors, resource containers/blockades, weapon suppliers, health suppliers, nukes, etc.). Also no class based BS either. Interestingly enough the models in this mod are nothing special, no really just look at the web page. They're mostly orbs, cubes, and diamonds. The major limitation I can see with bringing this into Xonotic would be the necessity to place limits on a few things to avoid lag caused by bullet hell (something that currently plagues UT99 SiegeXXL when you get too many protectors built and too many explosives going off) and scrap a lot the unnecessary and redundant (multiple types of protectors for example, there's also three types of nukes, and many types of bombs as well) BS that exists in the versions that are popular now.

I'd like to craft such a kit with that Tongue ...er...no Big Grin

Only a mutator? and disabled by default if enabled! (imo)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

You have a point, Cuinnton - why should the turrets just repair itself? Make the players do it!

TURRET EQUALITY FRONT
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

That would make assault games a bit more tactical if the players had to repair the turrets. Maybe assigning the use key to also repair stuff would be better than making a repair tool model.

(09-14-2011, 05:51 AM)Cuinnton Wrote: Or perhaps a repair tool, for assault games

i set the turret_scale_respawn to 10, which means a 10 times longer respawn time. afaik the normal respawn time is 90 sec. So its nearly impossible that one time have to destroy the turrets twice.
after the attackers become the defenders the turrets respawn automatically
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Yes, Ckit should be a mutator. I think it should be like Tremulous. When CKit is enabled, default turrets should still spawn, but if they are destroyed, they should be gone forever (they can be of course rebuilt in the same place). Turrets should be possible to build on any ground that isn't too steep. Turrets should also need generator. If generator is destroyed, turrets stop function until a new generator is build with ckit. Gnerator should provide limited amount of power to avoid turret spam.

(09-15-2011, 10:06 AM)lamefun Wrote: default turrets should still spawn, but if they are destroyed, they should be gone forever

just add turret_scale_respawn with a high value to the turret entity and the turrets are gone for ever.

if you want a construction kit go and code it
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

turret_scale_respawn is not the right way to do it, as it does not actually remove the turret, just makes it idle. The turrets part of this would be easy to do, they support a flag for self-deletion in death:
Code:
/// Die and stay dead.
#define  TFL_DMG_DEATH_NORESPAWN 256

As you would have to write code for the kit and the interaction with it anyway, its far better to use this. The code for spawning a turret "on demand" would look something like this:
Code:
entity PlacePlasmaTurret(vector _where, vector _angle)
{
    entity oldself, turret;

oldself = self;
    self            = spawn();          // Spawn a new entity to become a turret
    self.classname  = "constructed_turret"; // give it an identifyable classname
    setorigin(self, _where);            // Set location ...
    self.angles     = _angle;           // ... and agle
    self.owner      = oldself;          // link to owning player;
    self.spawnflags = TSL_NO_RESPAWN;   // Make sure this turret never respawns

if(teamplay)                        // Teamplay?
        self.team   = oldself.team;     // If so, make sure it dont kill our teammates.
    else
        self.team   = 1337;             // TODO: write a codepath for non teamplay owned turret.

// Start turret construction (self HAS TO BE the turret to become when this is called)
    spawnfunc_turret_plasma();

turret          = self;
    self            = oldself;

// Return the entity for custom setup. NOTICE: it will not be fully initialized at this point,
    // you need to wait aprox 0.5s for that.
    return turret;
}
Note above is untested, but should do most of whats needed at least.

Code:
// Return the entity for custom setup. NOTICE: it will not be fully initialized at this point,
    // you need to wait aprox 0.5s for that.

O_o... why aprox 0.5s? Is the code so broken you have to rely on timing?

Its due to how the turrets initialize. The code above abuses the spawn function, this function delays its initialization by 0.5s to allow possible target / controlling entities to spawn first. Also whats so broken with relying on timing? If you like you can write a longer function to duplicate the turrets init proc w/o this delay, however i see that as unnecessary code duplication. I dont see what you would need the return ent to be fully "finished". Proly you dont even need to worry abt the ent at all once its spawned, as it will do its thing quite fine - the return is just there for compactness.

Could we just exploit the delay and make it flexible enough so that you'll have to make yourself vulnerable when constructing a turret?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Sure, this code is just for placing/spawning. when, where and what happens to the player is up to somenoe else to decide and code.

right... so basic set of vars could look like this:
sv_constructionkit [bool] - enable or disable the construction kit, should also prevent it from spawning.
sv_constructionkit_behavior [1,2,3] - 1 for just repairs, 2 for just building turrets, 3 for both
sv_constructionkit_duration [int] - time added to the required 0,5s, will be fun to balance.
sv_constructionkit_constructwhat [string:turret name or error] - what turret to build, while in modes 2 and 3
sv_constructionkit_ammotype [1,2,3] - 1 for fuel, 2 for energy cells, 3 for an arbitrary limit
sv_constructionkit_ammo [int] - amount of uses if ↑ is 3, else: how much units of selected ammo type for a repair/construction
sv_constructionkit_cooldown [int] - how much time must pass between uses, will be fun to balance.

anything else?

Ok, I created a branch and now trying to implement.
I have a few questions:
1. How to bring up a building selection dialog on primary fire?
2. When a building is chosen, how to send its name to server?
3. How to show a building hologram in place it will build?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Press Media Kit Ubiquitous Dirigibles 13 10,148 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Ubiquitous Dirigibles