Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
singleplayer city map (DeusEx-like interactive city hub)

func_train was used for the platforms in capture city ... thats the only place I can think of off the top of my head

(05-21-2012, 09:11 AM)hutty Wrote: func_train was used for the platforms in capture city ... thats the only place I can think of off the top of my head

I don't remember any other maps that used it. However, divVerent helped with the beizer curves code, and steering trains are almost done. I just need to figure out how to do the rotations now. If all goes well, I might make it possible to ride trains and even walk around in them. Anyway no major updates tonight, since most of the day I've been busy getting the train entity to work.

woa ... new code ... Big Grin this is gona be awsome

(11-26-2011, 04:12 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: -snip-

Dude!

Incredible work! I'm really liking what you did and look forward to all your map contributions. Nothing short of amazing!

Don't quote the huge entire post! Tongue

I remember a year ago seeing some freezetag minimod in nexuiz which had this train that was moving constantly (portalling in one way), and you died if you fell, much like Convoy in UT2004

Was it the train that moved, or was it the ground?

(05-22-2012, 12:46 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: I remember a year ago seeing some freezetag minimod in nexuiz which had this train that was moving constantly (portalling in one way), and you died if you fell, much like Convoy in UT2004

Don't know that Nexuiz map. But it probably did the same thing AS-Convoy in UT2004 - The vehicles were still geometry, as well as the ground. But the ground was using a scrolling texture which gave the impression that the vehicles are moving. This is a good idea if you're making huge vehicles and the like, but a limited one in many cases. Clearly unrelated to the trains I'm doing.

My train code is nearly complete BTW. Just a few bugs left to fix, and some special movement types to implement. It took a lot of work, but now bezier curves trains can steer and follow a path smoothly. Once I'm done with the code (hopefully all issues will be fixed tomorrow) I'll immediately add trains to my city.

The trains in my map plan to be as realistic as possible. They will stop in the train station and open their doors, and have a fully detailed interior. And yes, you can get inside them and ride them, like you could in the old Mafia - City of Lost Heaven (also GTA but riding the train there is a cutscene, you don't move around). It's going to be really nice... although the rail is short and once you reach the end of the world, I'll add a trigger_changelevel to take you back to the map (in the story that will probably take you to another map).

(05-22-2012, 04:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Was it the train that moved, or was it the ground?

It's been the ground. (Map: onarail )
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

(05-23-2012, 01:35 AM)Sless Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 04:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Was it the train that moved, or was it the ground?

It's been the ground. (Map: onarail )

Actually, as the author of that map, I have to proclaim that not even the ground moves in that map. It's merely scrolling textures Smile

... the dl link for your map (savagex's) 404s Sad

Um, what link? I can't see any :x

the dl link in this post

(savagex's on rail map)

nice ... I forgot about that ...

Any plans for a smaller version for CTF?

Keep up the outstanding work! =)

why a smaller version for ctf? big version would work great for minsta...

Just so you know I've been using this map on my FT server and people are really liking it, even waiting for the 80mb download.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-18-2013, 07:22 PM)end user Wrote: Just so you know I've been using this map on my FT server and people are really liking it, even waiting for the 80mb download.

Oh... nice! Wasn't sure if anyone is into the idea any more, and kinda lost hope on it. I plan on adding more to it, and maybe my idea of a full SP story will come true now that monster entities exist (I think they were added to master).

(06-18-2013, 07:41 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(06-18-2013, 07:22 PM)end user Wrote: Just so you know I've been using this map on my FT server and people are really liking it, even waiting for the 80mb download.

Oh... nice! Wasn't sure if anyone is into the idea any more, and kinda lost hope on it. I plan on adding more to it, and maybe my idea of a full SP story will come true now that monster entities exist (I think they were added to master).

Well problem is with the stock Xon maps they all seem the same, either some metallic dungeon or space map. A lot of people like playing city maps. Here's a list of popular maps on my server http://stats.xonotic.org/server/340
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-18-2013, 08:52 PM)end user Wrote: Well problem is with the stock Xon maps they all seem the same, either some metallic dungeon or space map. A lot of people like playing city maps. Here's a list of popular maps on my server http://stats.xonotic.org/server/340

Well said. That's one problem I pointed out with Xon too, but apparently no one wishes to make official maps of other themes but metal facilities. I'm hoping to help with that, and even pull out some outdoor maps that might be acceptable officially.

(06-19-2013, 04:20 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(06-18-2013, 08:52 PM)end user Wrote: Well problem is with the stock Xon maps they all seem the same, either some metallic dungeon or space map. A lot of people like playing city maps. Here's a list of popular maps on my server http://stats.xonotic.org/server/340

Well said. That's one problem I pointed out with Xon too, but apparently no one wishes to make official maps of other themes but metal facilities. I'm hoping to help with that, and even pull out some outdoor maps that might be acceptable officially.

Hi

What would be the chance of you modifying the map and making it more simple like removing the subway cars, removing the shields and gates in the subway, adding jump ramps or ladders so users can access the roof tops. Also removing the NPC's.

This would make it a great TDM/DM/TF map and would reduce the size. Usually if players vote on the map I have to warn peple that the map is big and just give it a chance to download. Its an awesome map and people like the look of it.

(08-01-2013, 11:53 PM)end user Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 04:20 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:

Hi

What would be the chance of you modifying the map and making it more simple like removing the subway cars, removing the shields and gates in the subway, adding jump ramps or ladders so users can access the roof tops. Also removing the NPC's.

This would make it a great TDM/DM/TF map and would reduce the size. Usually if players vote on the map I have to warn peple that the map is big and just give it a chance to download. Its an awesome map and people like the look of it.

I don't know if MirceaKitsune makes anything for Xonotic anymore, but this map does have the potential to be a good multiplayer map.

(08-29-2013, 03:08 PM)Orbiter Sunblast Wrote: I don't know if MirceaKitsune makes anything for Xonotic anymore, but this map does have the potential to be a good multiplayer map.

I do, just a bit less active now. Actually I'm just working on a new map now (999999th attempt at making a good outdoor map in netRadiant Tongue ).

Don't know how good this map can be for any of the actual game types (such as DM). Like I said, the end objective (if i ever get around to it) is a single player level. Later on it will have triggers to change the map, which might be incompatible with multiplayer (but of course those can be removed and the map adapted).

It will also have many NPC's roaming around, once the monster code is ready. Speaking of that, what is its status? Someone was working on adding monsters to Xonotic months ago... supposedly entities using player models and player weapons but roaming the map and some being hostile to the player. That's exactly what I need till I get much further with this.

Mario is the one making the monsters mod, you should probably contact him if you're interested in something like this...

If my memory still works he made a few maps/levels like this with some monsters etc. Designed for singleplayer.
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Map like DM-Antalus from Unreal Tournament 2004? H1POGRYF 1 2,151 09-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
Wink LighterQuazor - A Xonotic Map like a laser tag arena, thought for bunnyhopping derrant 4 2,695 09-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [WIP][Singleplayer] Xonity kaadmy 5 7,009 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Last Post: -z-
  map that looks like a kitchen? Exibar 8 9,405 02-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Last Post: kwakkiezalf
  Any one would like to create a Vehicle demolition derby map? end user 3 4,512 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Last Post: end user