Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XNTC_

New user here, but very familiar with FPS games. Have played ut, quake live, warsow, cs, etc.

I'm really excited to start playing this game but just need a few basic questions answered:

1. How do i start playing. is it played through a browser or?
2. what's the diff between this and nexuiz. I heard laser jumping/strafing is gone? i hope not...
3. how many developers are working on this game
4. how many american servers are there?
5. will this become subscription based as some other fps out there once it goes out of beta?
6. do the developers have open Q&A sessions with the community? if so can you link me (i saw a post in the news section but it didn't look offiicial)
7. is ping an issue in this game? can you be competitive with a higher ping?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions.

I look forward to returning back with feedback from my initial experience.

XNTC_

1. You run an exe?
2. These rumors are not true at all. This game is nothing without Laser jumping. Best way is to play and find out. Wink
3. There is a Core team (7 people I think) and a lot of other contributors
4. Some Duel/DM/CTF servers.
5. Heh?
6. You can join IRC (QuakeNet, #xonotic; #xonotic.pickup) - they're all there. Also we got WoX-BloX where C.Brutail writes about all the latest news around Xonotic and it's community.
7. Ping isn't a big issue in this game, you can play fine up to 150-200 ping.

Welcome.

1. Latest xonotic version: http://xonotic:g-23@beta.xonotic.org/aut...latest.zip
2. Laser jumping is still there, there are a lot of changes though
5. It's 100% free and opensource
6. If you got any dev-related questions, ask Samual on #xonotic @ quakenet
7. Hitscan works pretty well with pings up to 150, projectiles are more difficult ofc

There are more developers than Nexuiz had, and the active Nex ones have moved on to Xonotic. The developers don't hide from the community, they are fully part of it, they mainly talk on IRC but also on the forum. This isn't a commercial game developed by a team of professional game devs, community matters are different from the games you seem to be used to.

Great answers. My main concern lies with question #2 at this point. I heard the person interviewed in the following video tell antibody that she was worried that this game would divide the community because it didn't have laser jumping and strafe jumping. Just trying to figure out why she mentioned it if it was never true. Her name was ohaii
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUD5dHxnP...ature=plcp

she mentioned it at 3:47 ("the laser and strafing; both of which are gone in xonotic"). Just confused about this issue as i loved the way the person in the video moved; bouncing off the walls and stuff, which appears to have been done with the laser gun. Hopefully that type of gameplay is still possible. Let me know. Thanks again for your answers.

p.s: asy7um if you could, can you elaborate on the changes particularly with the laser gun? Thanks

Well if you care, start up a local game and try for yourself Smile

Those videos were a while ago, the game's still changing and it has changed a lot since the interviews.

Welcome!