Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] xonotic on OS X?

you said it is for OS X too but some ppl cant found it !

where can they download it ?
[Image: a_ones.de-logo.png]
Gameservers by a-ones.de | [email=gameservers@a-ones.de]E-Mail[/email] | Forum | Twitter | Facebook

Download usual package, and check inside unziped folder for needed binary.

(03-11-2012, 03:03 AM)Vargos Wrote: Download usual package, and check inside unziped folder for needed binary.

i will tell that to the ppl. thank you!
Gameservers by a-ones.de | [email=gameservers@a-ones.de]E-Mail[/email] | Forum | Twitter | Facebook

How come they can find the package for windows and for linux?

Maybe it doesn't fit the mac os mentality to download a zip archive (not being cynical, I'm referring to dmg's etc.). Perhaps some explicit information next to the DL link could help.

This is why some people wanted to make actual installer application for Windows and OS X, not just .zip file.

First, we'd need somebody who's willing and able to maintain such an installer. Times two, because there's two OS's that would need one. The installer should be GPL-compatible (perhaps not legally needed, but morally at least). It should let the user know that the actual package is huge. It should download said package from the internet, because the site won't host three times the same data packaged in different formats.

Having an installer discourages the use of torrents for distribution, which is a bad thing for everybody. It's not as familiar as the web browser for most people who are used to downloading files off the internet. IMHO this is a bad idea. There's practically no advantage to having an installer, if all it does is download a file and unzip it for you. It's absolutely not worth the effort.

On the other hand, packaging for Linux distros is alright, because that's the usual way to install packages in most distros, contrary to Windows and Mac which are a horrible mess when it comes to installing things. Plus, maintenance is up to the distro's packagers, it's out of our hands as it should be.

I, for one, have absolutely no problem using a zip file in Windows. No need for an installer.

I do think that there should be an installation readme (entitled INSTALLTION README!) in the base of the package that tells people where all of the files are kept and how to update the game though. That would make using a zip file much easier for some.

A downloader-installer is pretty pointless and doesn't allow offline installs so makes it not appropriate for everyones use.

If people really do want installers, one possibility is to do like there is for GIMP, there is a GIMP for Windows project on Sourceforge and you can download a Windows installer from there. This would mean no extra package to be carried by dl.xonotic.org. A Xonotic for Windows and Xonotic for Mac project could each be started by people who want to do such a thing and each time a new Xonotic is released, they just need to rebuild their installer and update on Sourceforge. I would suggest if someone particularly wants to do this they should look at how projects like Libreoffice/OpenOffice.org, GIMP, 7-Zip etc. package for these propreitary systems. I wouldn't want to maintain such a project myself but I would perhaps be interested in helping make an initial install for Windows on Sourceforge just so that there is something which is technically workable for someone else to carry on with. Mac I know nothing about so can't help.

As for Linux distros, it's the same thing again that Mr Bougo says, it's down to the distros to carry packages so all volunteer to your distro to be the official maintainer if you want Xonotic in it.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Feedback from many people today = why no installer ? Only for the information!

I have an iMac myself too, with Xonotic. I just downloaded the normal .zip file, my comp automatically unzipped, and I just had to double click "xonotic" and it worked.

Why would you want an installer if you don't need one?

(03-11-2012, 06:53 AM)Mepper Wrote: I have an iMac myself too, with Xonotic. I just downloaded the normal .zip file, my comp automatically unzipped, and I just had to double click "xonotic" and it worked.

Why would you want an installer if you don't need one?

Because extracting .zip file and (double) clicking the executeable is too hard for some people.

Well, you don't have to unzip it, my iMac did it automatically, it's even easier Tongue

(03-11-2012, 05:52 AM)asp Wrote: Feedback from many people today = why no installer ? Only for the information!

It's too much work for development and maintenance, all this for the trivial task of downloading a file and unzipping it. Why no installer? Why would you even want one in the first place?

If it were as simple as writing two lines of shell script, there would be an installer. It isn't the case, AND we have to take into account the several OS's that exist.

This way of package ( I mean, zip with 3 OS versions ) is used since early Nex versions and , imho, absolutly perfect.

BTW, the reason why we do this is also two others:

- easy platform switching. If you downloaded Xonotic for Windows, then want to try it on Linux - no new download needed
- the OS dependent part is small compared to the OS independent part. So there is no real point in preparing 3G of downloads when 1G would do.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Also, there will be a manual coming with the game and available from the website (hopefully), that also covers the "installation" process and where to find what, but I haven't yet finished it.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!