Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simple items

Good news guys, simple items are coming =) Big thanks to tZork for coding the feature!

Now all we need is somebody to make an actual set of simple items. I made placeholders to make it easier for whoever wants to work on this, and I hope the placeholders will be replaced soon because they're aweful Wink

Right now it's in git in it's own branch, tzork/csqc-items

To enable (before starting a map):
sv_simpleitems 1
cl_simpleitems 1

I made placeholders only for what I consider "core" weapons/items (they're at same location as the actual models location with the added _simple to filename), but it's easy to add more. Just copy any of the existing _simple.iqm model and .skin file, rename them to whatever item you want, edit the .skin to point to correct texture and that's it. Check simpleitems.shader for a list of all items and what their file names need to be. If you don't use or don't want to use git, we can maybe work something out.

Also, whoever wants to work on this, I would advise you to do some tests and see what it looks like in game, don't do a whole set before seeing what it looks like else you might have a bad surprise. Simple items need to be, well, VERY simple, don't try to do fancy details on them because they'll only look good up close, but very blurry as soon as you move away. For a good example, see the first post in this thread (one color, simple and recognizable shapes, no detail, avoid trying to do fancy shading effect or anything like that).

Nice, I would like to say I'd give it another shot, but sadly I'm really busy for the next couple of weeks. But if no one has done so by then I'll make some better ones.
Also, can you show a screenshot of the placeholders ingame? Would be nice as reference.

Here's a screenshot: http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/4w1y...wc6ayw.jpg

Looking awesome.

Have to say, that does look awesome. Always confused me in QuakeLive, but I'm sure i'd get used to these in Xonotic easily as I play this game Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(05-20-2012, 11:27 AM)nifrek Wrote: Here's a screenshot: http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/4w1y...wc6ayw.jpg

how do you get your ingame to look like that :O!? what settings!?!?!?

Uhm... ?

Look 2 posts above that one.

(05-20-2012, 03:46 PM)Mepper Wrote: Uhm... ?

Look 2 posts above that one.

Sorry, I meant the wall textures and stuff — not the icons.

gl_picmip_world 1337
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(05-20-2012, 04:04 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: gl_picmip_world 1337

Thanks Big Grin!

Quick question: are simple items compatible with "physical items" mutator?

Beautiful!

One of my only gripes is being swept away... great work!

Simple items are there in autobuild. You use cl_simple_items 1 to activate them, if server allows. Unfortunately, setting is not saved, so you'd have to set it manually every time you start a game.

Some screenshots:

-Armor shards are green
-Health is white
-Ammo has proper icons
-Weapons have just their names written
-Oops... new toys are still rendered as proper models.
-Some bonuses work,
-Some not yet

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Like I said, they are only placeholders and examples files for an actual artist to make good ones. Ignore everything about those, kthx.

Well, I saw zeroql's video demo on these simple items, and they look VERY sweet, great job. But the goal of simple items is to make items easier to see etc. am I right? And wouldn't it be better if they are a little bit bigger? Beucase they are harder too see compated to the normal items IMO.

(06-02-2012, 07:16 AM)nifrek Wrote: Like I said, they are only placeholders and examples files for an actual artist to make good ones. Ignore everything about those, kthx.

Hehe, thanks Mr. Bougo.

I thought "placeholders" was self explanatory, they're just there so that the feature (the code) could be merged to master and show that the feature works when enabled. All I did was create the necessary models and shaders to make life easier for an artist to jump in and only have to replace the tga's without the need to mess around with the technical stuff. They will be replaced with real ones as soon as somebody makes some.

Please refer to this message anyone complaining about how ugly current simpleitems are, thank you.

Tongue

So anyway, if anyone wants to work on it and have questions, you can always ask in here or talk me on irc. If you don't know how to use Git it's no problem anymore since it's master, you can download an Autobuild, all that is needed is in there. I can take care of adding them to git and do the merge request later. There were a few people that talked to me about it but nobody made a real commitment yet.

Oh, sorry guys! I will try making some icons tomorow Smile!

Quote:I thought "placeholders" was self explanatory, they're just there so that the feature (the code) could be merged to master and show that the feature works when enabled. All I did was create the necessary models and shaders to make life easier for an artist to jump in and only have to replace the tga's without the need to mess around with the technical stuff. They will be replaced with real ones as soon as somebody makes some.

Please refer to this message anyone complaining about how ugly current simpleitems are, thank you.

And one of my points was that some items are missing those placeholders, mine layer being one of them.

Quote:Oh, sorry guys! I will try making some icons tomorow Smile!

Sweet, keeping fingers crossed.

Got some questions:

What color does the different items have?

Is it okey to use more then 1 color per item?

Am i supposed to make simple item icons for the HUD too?

Just thought I would throw this out there. I like the models, like the mega armor, that have 2 shades of 1 color. The solid green with darker green accents looks nice and works well.

Also, I would really like an option to just use simple items for shards and ammo. So megas and weapons would be regular items.

(06-09-2012, 06:53 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: Just thought I would throw this out there. I like the models, like the mega armor, that have 2 shades of 1 color. The solid green with darker green accents looks nice and works well.

Also, I would really like an option to just use simple items for shards and ammo. So megas and weapons would be regular items.

I know what you mean, but i think that would be quite strange to have that option. I will try to make my constribution to have quite large megas, I think I will make most items large cause the whole point oc simple items is to make it easier to see then, please correct me if im wrong?

(06-09-2012, 07:08 PM)K__ Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 06:53 PM)W4RP1G Wrote: Just thought I would throw this out there. I like the models, like the mega armor, that have 2 shades of 1 color. The solid green with darker green accents looks nice and works well.

I know what you mean, but i think that would be quite strange to have that option. I will try to make my constribution to have quite large megas, I think I will make most items large cause the whole point oc simple items is to make it easier to see then, please correct me if im wrong?

You're right, simple items are for making the items easier to see. I can see the weapons and megas fine, but I have a hard time making out the shards and ammo. Plus, I really like the way the regular megas look. For weapons, I know where they are usually, it's just a matter of seeing whether it's there or not, so I don't really need simple items for them.

To be blunt, I actually think simple items look ugly. They are just not my thing. But when I tried out the new simple items, I realized how much easier it was to make out what the shards and ammo were. That is why I have made this request.

I was hoping that it might be something as simple as "cl_simpletimes 2" being only shards and ammo.

(06-09-2012, 06:28 PM)rafallus Wrote: And one of my points was that some items are missing those placeholders, mine layer being one of them.

Come on, I already said a few posts above I made icons only for core weapons/items, and I also explained how to add the missing ones. Go back and read. I was not going to come up with 200 different and logical colors for the 200 weapons and items Xonotic has just for simple placeholders. What did you expect me to reply to your screenshots post and "bug report" when I already mentioned those things? Maybe I should've done only one placeholder with "THIS IS SOME ITEM, PICK IT UP TO KNOW WHICH ONE IT IS HAHA" as text and put that for every single item.

It's nice that you want to help but can you wait until there is actually something to criticize please?

(06-09-2012, 06:30 PM)K__ Wrote: Got some questions:

What color does the different items have?

Is it okey to use more then 1 color per item?

Am i supposed to make simple item icons for the HUD too?

You can do whatever you think is best since you are the one designing them, but you could do some concepts and ask for some opinions here.

Just keep in mind that they need to be very simple, they should recognizable from shape and color rather than shading and details, otherwise they will get very blurry ingame. One color is probably better for that reason, but you are free to try different things.

The hardest part I think is that Xonotic has so many weapons, it's hard to find a different color for each. And also need make ammo items that make sense for multiple weapons.

For the placeholders I used perweapon crosshair colors as guide (minus MG which was green, so I made slightly yellow-ish so it would be different from the armor). Here is a reference: http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/imra...dnqa5w.jpg

But again, do what you think is best, you don't need to use those colors.

For size, sure they make items more visible but they are rather to make it easier to recognize (hence why a single color is probably better, you know from any distance which item is it), not to make them huge and be visible from around a corner where you would not be able to see them with normal models.

Well, it doesnt seem too hard to do, I cant quakeC but its probably pretty easy for the devs making that option. But if simple items going trough and getting to master and the option gets into the GUI i think this option with only shards and ammo becoming simple items would maybe confuse some players.

Well, maybe we can do it like this(this is just an example):

RL Yellow
GL Red
Hagar Orange
Ammo Yellow Red & Orange

Crylink Purple
Electro Blue
Nex Neon
Ammo Purple Blue & Neon

MG Grey
SG White
Ammo Grey & White