Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What's new in XonStat

Because most people just wanted to see basic up/down, not the actual value.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(11-16-2012, 12:34 PM)Antibody Wrote: Because most people just wanted to see basic up/down, not the actual value.

I think he meant just showing "+ 3.64" instead of "Elo went up by 3.64" in the tooltip =)
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Yes, that's what I mean. I think it'd be clearer to have just the signed number in the tooltip, obviously keeping the arrows as is.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Oh, sure. That's doable.

Although stats may look the same (for the most part) this morning, I've made significant changes under the hood to make things faster. I restructured some stuff for the main, server info, and map info pages. The latter two views now load twice as fast! What's more is the code consolidation I did while implementing this stuff makes my source clean and less redundant! This is all in support of a bigger feature that I'm targeting for deployment around the holidays.

Sexybody.

(11-19-2012, 08:58 AM)Antibody Wrote: This is all in support of a bigger feature that I'm targeting for deployment around the holidays.

<3 antibody

Going along with my previous "internal plumbing" changes, XonStat is now sprite-ified! The game type icons and the weapon icons are now sprites, saving your browser some precious HTTP requests. Hooray!

FYI you can follow the gritty details here if you are interested: http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonstat.git;a=summary

What's sprites? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

Basically you put all of the small images into one image and reference pieces of it using CSS. This technique is better for caching and makes fewer HTTP requests, which can be slow.

This article explains it far better than I can: http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites/

Oh interesting. Smile

Hmm... and I thought sprites were moving animated bitmaps in 3D, e.g. enemies and other items in Doom
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(11-27-2012, 02:42 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Hmm... and I thought sprites were moving animated bitmaps in 3D, e.g. enemies and other items in Doom

Well, that's where this sprite-idea comes from =) Have a look here!

@Antibody, if you are interested in making Xonstat load faster, check out this website: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ - The player page currently needs 15 requests, and the results say you could still improve that by using proper caching. From what I understand, this needs to be set by the webserver itself, though.

Thx for the info.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Far and away the biggest performance bottleneck within stats are the calls to the DB. XonStat is a db-heavy application and looking at the 'net' tab in Firebug/Chrome DevTools will show you that it's spending usually more than 60% of the time in-app versus making other HTTP requests. This is especially true for the player info and home pages. To combat this I'm going to add beaker caching for certain views (info here).

Also I need to move to bootstrap 2.0's CSS and minimize that. Too many tasks, too little time Big Grin

I just instituted elo rot in XonStat. Players who haven't played in over 30 days will have one point deducted from their Elo score per day until they play again. This will happen for every game type. I put this in to combat inactive players from remaining in the ranks indefinitely and also to encourage people to, you know, PLAY!

(12-02-2012, 02:54 PM)Antibody Wrote: I just instituted elo rot in XonStat. Players who haven't played in over 30 days will have one point deducted from their Elo score per day until they play again. This will happen for every game type. I put this in to combat inactive players from remaining in the ranks indefinitely and also to encourage people to, you know, PLAY!

This is a weird thing to implement... I don't really like this.

I'm not really active much in game any more but I don't want my score to go down as a result. Sad

If you're serious about your ELO rank, surely you must play at least once a month?

Yes I do, but what happens if you take a big break or just don't have the time any more?

You'll still want to be seen as a good player even if you aren't that active.

You don't just become a noob because you don't play all the time. You might be a bit rusty, but that's irrelevant.

Antibody, how exactly is Elo rot being implemented? I.e., when will the rotting start, and how fast will it be? Personally I guess I'd favor a non-linear curve... for the first few weeks of inactivity, the rotting could be slow, then speed up if the player is inactive for longer time. What do the others think about this idea?

You are no good player if you are not active, that's it.
[Image: 11878.png]

Elo rot sounds good. Better keep the current implementation to see if it is 'balanced' right now. In case it seems to be not good it can be changed later.

The implementation: every time you play a game, your player_elo record for that game type get "touched" with a timestamp. Players who do not play will therefore have older, untouched timestamps. Any player_elo record having a timestamp > 30 days will lose one elo point a day. I consider this a *very* conservative rot setting. Look at the top ten ranked players today and work out how long it would take them to fall to the elo floor (which is 100)!

rocknroll: You gain skill by playing, so why would you not lose skill by not playing? Nothing seems out of the ordinary with that situation to me. If you are at Elo score X-30 because you haven't played for 60 days and you have not truly lost any of your playing skills, you should be able to get back up to score X with no problem by just playing normally!

(12-02-2012, 05:23 PM)Antibody Wrote: Any player_elo record having a timestamp > 30 days will lose one elo point a day.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Your last point is exactly where my suggestion was aimed at - maybe lose 2 points a day if a player has been inactive for more than 60 days, 5 points for more than 90 days, 10 points for more than 180 days? This way, players who are just making a break on Xonotic won't be affected very much by elo rot, where players who have been inactive for very long and maybe left the community entirely would fall to the elo floor more quickly.

But anyway, I'm with Debugger here - let's first check out how the current implementation is working Smile

I will certainly consider non-linear rot if need be. It probably won't be needed, but we'll see.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XonStat turns 1! Antibody 13 12,027 10-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Last Post: harry_ftw
  XonStat FAQ Antibody 2 4,741 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Antibody