• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[BUG] Cant use F-keys

Greetings
Keys aren't working

Details:
HW: 7800GT with NVIDIA proprietary driver
loadkeys sk-qwerty
Was installed using sabayon-weekly repository

edit: posting it at 2:42AM GMT +1 i haven't realized that i typed Fx instead what should have been numeric keys example: 1 with ! 2 with @ and so on

Do you use the glx or sdl xonotic?

SDL version

Do you get the same problem in glx?

(06-14-2012, 12:58 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Do you get the same problem in glx?

Yep btw check out my edit to first post

Aaah, hehe.

It seems this layout has number keys on top (you input numbers from the numrow with shift). That's problematic. Based on the corresponding X layout, you have (starting from the top left):

semicolon
plus
lcaron
scaron
ccaron
tcaron
zcaron
yacute
aacute
iacute
eacute
equal
dead_acute

So the top left key and the 1 key should work fine, perhaps the others should, but I doubt the last one (which is a dead key) will work for binds.

What makes you say the keys don't work? Does it mean you can't bind them in the menu? I remember using a keyboard which had eacute, agrave and other diacritics without too much of a problem.

EDIT: Hold on, testing with another layout. I see there's a problem indeed.

EDIT: So yeah, this is kind of a silly situation and it's definitely a bug. What happens is that DarkPlaces only seems to understand latin1 encoding in bind config files, and sadly all those accented characters aren't in that character set (they are found in UTF8 or ISO-8859-2). You'll have to use a different layout meanwhile to use those keys, I'm sorry Sad

EDIT: Reported the bug

(06-14-2012, 04:51 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Aaah, hehe.

It seems this layout has number keys on top (you input numbers from the numrow with shift). That's problematic. Based on the corresponding X layout, you have (starting from the top left):

semicolon
plus
lcaron
scaron
ccaron
tcaron
zcaron
yacute
aacute
iacute
eacute
equal
dead_acute

So the top left key and the 1 key should work fine, perhaps the others should, but I doubt the last one (which is a dead key) will work for binds.

What makes you say the keys don't work? Does it mean you can't bind them in the menu? I remember using a keyboard which had eacute, agrave and other diacritics without too much of a problem.

EDIT: Hold on, testing with another layout. I see there's a problem indeed.

EDIT: So yeah, this is kind of a silly situation and it's definitely a bug. What happens is that DarkPlaces only seems to understand latin1 encoding in bind config files, and sadly all those accented characters aren't in that character set (they are found in UTF8 or ISO-8859-2). You'll have to use a different layout meanwhile to use those keys, I'm sorry Sad

EDIT: Reported the bug

Anyways i tried to switch the layout in KDE Keyboard obviously switched to US when i type lcaron it shows 2 however the game still refuses to switch weapons SDL version i.e. pressing 4 wont switch to mortar

Do the menu settings recognize it when you try to bind these keys?

Cant bind them in GUI whats the command to bind weapons? i have two keys which when pressed should switch to grenade launcher 4 and X and only X works even when i switch the keyboard to US layout

Are you sure that the US layout is used in Xonotic as well? What characters show up when you type in the Xonotic console? (shift escape to access it)

I really don't know why Xonotic would use sk-qwerty if you set it as us in KDE.

Try to set the layout from a terminal with setxkbmap us, then launch Xonotic maybe?

Hmm after setting setxkbmap us in yakuake it works even with sk-qwerty layout set in KDE however i wonder if it will work even after restar i.e if change is persistent across reboots

Okay, but that does not tell me what layout Xonotic uses. Again, what layout is used in Xonotic itself? You can tell by opening the Xonotic console with shift escape and typing stuff.

Please tell me what layout is used in the Xonotic console in both situations (when it works, and when it doesn't). I need to know this because apparently KDE is telling you you're using one layout when you're actually using the other. I don't trust KDE's information, I want to know what Xonotic itself sees, so please do that.

IF keyboard in KDE is set to: sk-qwerty
Typing reveals that Xonotic ignores some keys like ľ,š,č,ť,ž, however other keys like ý,á,í,é can be typed other keys ?::_ seem to work as in sk-qwerty mode

IF keyboard in KDE is set to: us
Keyboard behaves just like normal en-us layout

setxkbmap us was set i didnt restarted PC after i first set this
Keyboard shortcuts work regardless of what is set in KDE

This is weird stuff... I don't understand what KDE is doing at all, I'm afraid I can't help you Sad

Right so can you confirm that this is really KDE bug? i might report this to KDE devs

It's not a bug of KDE - AFAIK KDE sets the keymap for the currently used input method only (usually it's xim or dbus, sometimes scim), not the low level terminal keymap. I doubt if Xonotic uses any of these input methods.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Right so what can i do now?

I honestly have no idea. Ask KDE-specialized forums or IRC channels about this, it might have affected other games or SDL applications in a way or another. Do mention that setting us-qwerty with setxkbmap works fine, but KDE's input selection does not work the way you expect it to work.

Problem seems to persists in fluxbox too im not so sure about that it is KDEs fault

Even when setting the input method in fluxbox?

Can you copy the output of setxkbmap -print in the several different cases where it works / doesn't work? (By this I mean, after setting the layout to us or sk qwerty from fluxbox AND with setxkbmap). Also show me the output of setxkbmap -print just as you enter your session, before changing any settings.

KDE when i didnt changed a thing

Code:
ramtech@localhost ~ $ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+sk(qwerty):2+inet(evdev)+group(rwin_toggle)"     };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc101)"     };
};

fluxbox keyboard switching gui is just a frontend for setxkbmap so same thing happened to me

set sk-qwerty
Code:
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwertz)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+sk(qwerty)+inet(evdev)"     };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc104)"     };
};

Quote:IF keyboard in KDE is set to: sk-qwerty
Typing reveals that Xonotic ignores some keys like ľ,š,č,ť,ž, however other keys like ý,á,í,é can be typed other keys ?::_ seem to work as in sk-qwerty mode

set en layout
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
};

Quote:IF keyboard in KDE is set to: us
Keyboard behaves just like normal en-us layout

Ok, and what about fluxbox? Can you change the layout in fluxbox too?

Also, is the layout set per-application? I've never used KDE or fancy graphical interfaces like that.

EDIT: I'm really sorry but I'm quite confused now. Can you not bind all your keys in Xonotic if you set the layout to us in KDE? Is there any difference between setting the layout to us in KDE or with setxkbmap?

Cyber Killer was right this isn't KDEs fault this one is Xonotic bug using KDE is actually workaround since KDE switching ignores setxkbmap the only problem is that i cant type in Slovak ingame which isn't such a big problem however outside it is big problem

Fluxbox... in Xonotic
us layout keys work

Fluxbox in Xonotic
layout sk-qwerty keys in question don't work

Well, if KDE doesn't set X's keymap, it must have some sort of layer inbetween.

What happens if you do setxkbmap sk qwerty in fluxbox or KDE? Does input work in Xonotic then?

EDIT: As you can see, I know next to nothing about input methods. In any case, if this is a bug with Darkplaces not supporting KDE's twisted ways of input, I guess you should talk to the devs in #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org... But input in DP is quite broken and american-centric sadly. divVerent says he doesn't know how to help.

EDIT2: For me, without a desktop environment, setxkbmap sk qwerty works perfectly in the Xonotic console.

Quote:EDIT: As you can see, I know next to nothing about input methods. In any case, if this is a bug with Darkplaces not supporting KDE's twisted ways of input, I guess you should talk to the devs in #darkplaces on irc.anynet.org... But input in DP is quite broken and american-centric sadly. divVerent says he doesn't know how to help.

So this bug is unfixable?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] cant start the game/ session lock problem skyghost47 1 2,911 10-24-2020, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Question [NEED HELP] How to use textures for radiant(win version)? (solved) Kotangens 4 2,946 08-12-2020, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SOLVED] No stats for the player Ubuntu 19.04 - just don't use the flathub version Fiorentino 2 3,083 04-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Fiorentino
  [BUG] Fkeys F-keys F keys not working Mac OS Sierra 0.8.22 Space Ace 8 4,211 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [NEED HELP] Help cant play IdekehBruh 1 2,062 05-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SOLVED] how to use swap buff? BuddyFriendGuy 2 2,693 12-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] Cant build bsp? Brot 1 2,371 08-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Last Post: end user
  [FIXED] how to download and use the maps on this site? zwz 2 4,113 09-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Last Post: end user
  [NEEDS INFO] cant download map, black map area jaybates86 5 6,909 10-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: Halogene
Bug [SOLVED] Cant start server in linux xxen0nxx 12 10,368 11-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Last Post: xxen0nxx