Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] FXAA

FXAA should be fairly easy to implement and will greatly improve AA quality/performance.

First, I'd rather see AA which does not interfere with motion blur.

(08-16-2012, 02:16 PM)rafallus Wrote: First, I'd rather see AA which does not interfere with motion blur.

Can't you just record the objects (What are they fragments? idk the lower level lingo) and apply the motion blur to them after AA?

(08-16-2012, 01:52 PM).zip Wrote: FXAA should be fairly easy to implement and will greatly improve AA quality/performance.

Can't you just record the objects (What are they fragments? idk the lower level lingo) and apply the motion blur to them after AA?

Could you guys speak english, please?

(08-16-2012, 03:01 PM)Justin Wrote:
(08-16-2012, 01:52 PM).zip Wrote: FXAA should be fairly easy to implement and will greatly improve AA quality/performance.

Could you guys speak english, please?
Remember which things are moving, blur the edges so they aren't jagged, and give motion blur afterwards so the motion blur doesn't get confused with the edge blurring

Wanna join developers and help them implement it? Would be gravy.

(08-16-2012, 03:08 PM)rafallus Wrote: Wanna join developers and help them implement it? Would be gravy.

If I don't even know the lower level lingo how am I supposed to write it Tongue

Shouldn't there be a function in OGL to do generic FXAA by now?

:: hutty is wondering why you would need aa if you had motion blur on

Because motion blur is motion blur. No motion means no blur and very visible aliasing.

It is possible to ALWAYS have blur though and how often are things actually sitting still?
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Let's add this to some guide, "To fully enjoy the graphics, please do not stop moving around." Right.

Hehe.

'drunken master feature' will be a new feature that enables motion blur even when player don't move.
Seriously: Who likes motion blur anyway? Me not!

who needs motion blur and who needs that blurry ugly FXAA that kills all that deatail anyway, well me not ^^ , but probably some others like it.

TXAA seems to be even worse XD
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/article...orld-txaa/
[Image: 11436.png] (PLAY/Drunk/Rudi_Aut ^^)

I do play with motion blur 1.0 and I'd love to be able to combine it with AA, because aliasing is pretty bad, even while moving at slower speeds.

(08-17-2012, 09:59 AM)rafallus Wrote: I do play with motion blur 1.0 and I'd love to be able to combine it with AA, because aliasing is pretty bad, even while moving at slower speeds.

I suppose a simple way to do it would be to render the new frame on top of older frames such that the transparency is 80% > 10% > 5% etc, it would make for fugly motion blur but AA would work fairly easily with it.

I'd really like both Motion Blur + AA too. I think Xonotic could do with some better AA method. Smile

Well that seems like a different topic, I was talking about simply implmenting FXAA in addition to MSAA which we already have. Motion blur fix can come later.

Oh okay yeah, I'm for FXAA. SMAA's probably better but you can only inject 1x atm... Sad

Quote:Motion blur fix can come later.

I personally think that fixes in general should have priority due to the fact that implementing new stuff might create more stuff to fix.

ok ... now im confused ... how is fxaa different from regular aa ?

and will it work on ati cards ....

nope. it's an nVidia feature
[Image: 10253.png]

Well I've got an ATI card and FXAA and SMAA work well for me! Also, I just realised that AA and Motion Blur work together in Nexuiz... So... Something must be broken in Xonotic.

FXAA is not nvidia only, it works as a postprocessing filter, very good thing, you can play with some AA even if your GPU is older. Traditional AA scales badly. What problems do you have with xonotic? I play with 2x AA and it looks just fine.

Isn't this very similar to MLAA, which can be forced on a lot of graphics drivers? IIRC AMD Drivers will do this, and NVIDIA Drivers will force FXAA. MLAA should now be available in open source Linux drivers as well.