Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEEDS INFO] 5.1 support and other issues with running under Windows 8

First issue: The sound seems to freak out under Windows 8 if you switch it to 5.1. Everything below that seems to work perfectly fine though.

EDIT: Just ran 0.6 again under Windows and I'm going to have to take a guess and say it's probably the new animation system causing performance issues, though the first issue with the sound is still present. I'll be doing some tweaks to my driver settings as well as the game configuration file to try to find a solution to this.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Make sure if you're running a surround sound setup that you have 5.1/7.1 sound setup in your soundcard driver, if you don't have a soundcard/integrated sound, then the 5.1 effect won't really do anything
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

Have we tested Xonotic in windows 8 at all?

Lee, do you have windows 7 installed on the same machine by chance?

No I don't. I can't figure out the sound issue, but I can confirm that has always been there since I was running autobuilds, actually up until 0.7 I was stuck with stereo. As for most of the other performance issues I have lol Nvidia to blame for that, but tweaking the driver settings (basically telling the thing to not use stupid things like thread optimization and basically telling it to let the game do what it wants) and redoing the cfg file starting from default fixed that. Right now the thing with sound is, while I can enable 5.1 (previous versions I couldn't even do this under Windows 8), I'll get strange issues such as the music only playing through partially before looping.

Oh wait.

(06-10-2013, 02:30 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Have we tested Xonotic in windows 8 at all?

Lee, do you have windows 7 installed on the same machine by chance?

Afaik, me and mario run xonotic on windows 8, there's probably a few more players on win8 too... both git/normal xon work with no apparent issues.

I tried low-res xonotic 0.6, and It had some texture issues, but aside from that it worked well.

Also: about the sound issue, it's probably your audio driver, try updating it or reinstalling?
I haven't had issues with sound myself, setting 5.1 or 7.1 doesn't seem to break sound either
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

I've tried that. I've also tried two different sound devices since installing Xonotic under Windows 8. First I was using onboard (something by Realtek) and now I'm using an Asus Xonar DS card. I currently run the game in 4.0 quadrophonic in which case I have no issues, but turning it to 5.1 or 7.1 causes problems with the music and sound skipping out all over the place.

EDIT: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I hooked up a condensor microphone and mounted it on my monitor. As you can see, switching to 5.1 causes everything to go crazy. I initially thought that it was a minor error and restarted the game with 5.1 already set, but got the same result.

4.0 Audio
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QAZNYO9kTp

5.1 Audio
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1TBEgHqwpYg

Oh wait.

Oh, that's just the new remix of the menu theme. Just kidding.

Do you notice any error in the sound init when you launch the game? I believe you can make it more verbose by passing -developer to the binary.

Thought I solved it after I ticked something in my soundcard settings, but nope. Strangely 7.1 doesn't seem to be giving me these kind of issues, but I don't have a set of side speakers hooked up at the moment so that option is a no go.

Oh wait.

Read my post.

(06-11-2013, 01:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Oh, that's just the new remix of the menu theme. Just kidding.

Do you notice any error in the sound init when you launch the game? I believe you can make it more verbose by passing -developer to the binary.

Like errors in the console? I don't know what I'm looking for, but here's a shot of the console immediately after the game starts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=152625876

Oh wait.

(06-13-2013, 08:23 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 01:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Oh, that's just the new remix of the menu theme. Just kidding.

Like errors in the console? I don't know what I'm looking for, but here's a shot of the console immediately after the game starts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=152625876

I need a full log, i.e. a text file. Screenshots aren't the proper way to transmit such info.

Do a condump (condump myfile.log , which will put a myfile.log in your personal data dir), and put it in a code tag in this thread or on a pastebin.

EDIT: Seems like your sound is loading fine though.

Are you sure you started the game with -developer ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Windows 10 -basedir problem BlazedRasta 4 4,019 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: AlexVelasquez
  [SOLVED] Trouble unzipping cygiconv-2.dll on Windows 7 (0.8.5) papa 3 4,326 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: mrhip
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant, xonotic-mapping-support and maps dir? Gwlanbzh 1 1,421 02-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
Bug [BUG] strange checker pattern in the middle of explosions on Windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,522 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: fabzor3
  [SOLVED] Textures don't load at other side of warpzone bananovenc 6 2,964 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM
Last Post: bananovenc
Exclamation [SOLVED] Graphics issues on Intel Kaby Lake (HD630) hardware on Linux cefiar 9 9,443 04-19-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: cefiar
  [BUG] Command line typing issues teratorn 5 2,931 04-12-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: teratorn
  [NEED HELP] Can see other players, but not map teratorn 5 3,019 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: teratorn
  [NEED HELP] No 3840x2160 "4K" support? SouthernLion 8 4,922 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Last Post: SouthernLion
  [NEED HELP] video glitches in netradiant on windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,934 05-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot