Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM] Checkmate

A beta version of Checkmate.

It is my third map (the other two do not deserve to be mentioned) and my first attempt to make models with NetRadiant.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/apawvade3afeb7...1.pk3?dl=0

It needs some polish/refinement to be considered finished.

PD: I would like to receive your comments. Thanks.

[Image: 20urcdl.jpg]

hi Julius,

nice map - reminds me of a polished map called chess on good old nexuiz. Big Grin

[Image: chess10.jpg]

I like it - but the file is a bit huge - 41 mb to download is quite a lot .... Tongue

GreetZ Su

Today I played around it a little bit with Julius today. I found it very beautiful and fun. There are some trap, jets, super weapons, buffs, etc., with interesting teleports. The chess pieces provide objects to hide from the opponents as well as predict their new location.

1. The file size is really too big for most users (and servers), I think. I definitely vote for lowering the resolution of textures. The soundtrack is definitely too big, with stereo, 192K bps, and 44.1 Hz setting.

2. There's very little trick movement to use. I can still get to places with rocket/laser jump though. That doesn't affect the fun in this map though.

Great remake of a classic DM map, nice work!

Only one thing bothers me a little about it - the skybox is from Quake 3, and is a little dated for the quality of the map.
[Image: 230.png]

Nice job julius. The map is very detailed
[Image: 38443.png]

Nice Job Julius, reminds me of the old Nexuiz map Chess.

I took the liberty to minimize it to 9MB for my server. The texture quality is downgraded but still acceptable for beta testing.

There are also several sound effects that are triggered by specific messages in the map file: "Nice", "Laugh", "Oh no!".

While they don't take much space, I feel these general voice files should be part of the server package, as opposed to maps.

Or, if you want to ship it with the map, perhaps we can have something in the chess theme, such as, well, "Checkmate!", "Bad move!", "You are Pawned!", etc.

Here's a fun picture with Crylink.

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments.

Oh, and yes, I have been inspired by the old Chess map, a map that I like a lot Wink

Mario, the skybox is by Simon "Sock" O'Callaghan (http://www.simonoc.com), a master making Quake
maps, and it is very important for the atmosphere of my map:

I wanted from the beguinning a orange (warm) Sun light with dark, blue (cold) and long shadows.
This sky is near perfect for what I wanted. And yes, it is old and lowres (512x512) but I have not
found anything better.

Buddy, you destroyed my alpha channels !!! Wink, the JPG image format doe not have transparency !!
Alpha channels must be extracted from the original TGA textures and then converted to JPG to
accompany the asociated diffuse map, the texture itself. But dont worry, it is my job to lower the
file size for the final release version.

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Edit:
I like the idea of "Checkmate!", "Bad move!" and "You are Pawned!" voice sounds, but the only
microphone I have is on my Android tablet and my english pronunciation is... non-existant.

(12-02-2016, 08:59 AM)Julius Wrote: Buddy, you destroyed my alpha channels !!! Wink,

Ah, I'm sorry about this. I didn't realize there are files with alpha channel except for textures/map_checkmate/decal/*.tga

(Actually, I just realized that the link above wasn't my latest minimized version -- I uploaded my latest version onto my server but not the link above. The latest has transparent decal textures. Fixed now.)

I'll leave the compression for you then.

(12-02-2016, 08:59 AM)Julius Wrote: I like the idea of "Checkmate!", "Bad move!" and "You are Pawned!" voice sounds, but the only
microphone I have is on my Android tablet and my english pronunciation is... non-existant.

I wouldn't worry about accents. It's part of our international community!

However, if you don't have a good microphone, why don't you ask folks here to contribute on this? If nobody here wants to do it, I might be able to get somebody with a nice voice to do it.

It would be really nice to have some voice sounds to be launched by the players.

The code to parse what are you writing and then play a sound is there, in the game, at least
from a mapper perspective: "trigger_magicear" entity connected to a "target_speaker".

On the other hand, I would like to have some taunts and typical words as "nice", "shit", etc.,
as part of a mapper's resource arsenal.

I believe our community has excellent voice actors. Why don't you ask around first? I think it'll be a great collaboration project.

I think it's very fun to have voice that fits the map theme. Is there a good way show people about the specific voice triggers though (besides word of mouth)?

Do you have a list of words/phrases you'd like for your map?
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

(12-05-2016, 03:48 AM)cefiar Wrote: Do you have a list of words/phrases you'd like for your map?

Sure, for example the suggested words by BuddyFriendGuy:

"Checkmate!", "Bad move!" , "You are Pawned!"

And for any other map I would like to have "Nice!", "Shit!", "Good Game!", "Congrats!!"
or some other similar words. I think it adds some fun to a map.

Thanks folks.

(12-01-2016, 07:22 PM)Mario Wrote: Great remake of a classic DM map, nice work!
It's nice to hear such words about my old map Smile

Zero - an eternal primordial emptiness the principle of generation of all things.
my Site: http://zeromapping.narod.ru
my Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeromapping/
my Bananite: http://gamebanana.com/members/1317180

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Checkmate 1.0 release version Julius 11 9,452 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Julius