Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Custom Server Downloads

Ahai.

So, for the past few days a friend and I have trawled through every piece of relevant information on the internet to get to the root of this issue.

I want to host a server that can issue custom files. I've gone exhausted absolutely every excuse I can think of for this not  behaving as expected. I've managed to get the server to issue blank files: the names of the files are correct, but as I'm sure you've read elsewhere here, they're 0KB in size in the dlcache. Loading in thereafter of course leads to black maps.

I've tried using (either one of these or several, one for each .pk3 file);
Code:
sv_curl_defaulturl #####

And when the link would work, it seems that clients only retrieve a blank copy of the files they are pointed to. If it wouldn't I suppose they just don't receive anything.

I've of course also tried using the curl_urls.txt set-up, only it gives the same results - blank files.

I've tried a multitude of different serving options, finally heading back to my HFS server in the hopes that I could ensure I was giving the server the use of absolute direct-download links. Still, blank files.
  • I've tried every port known to mankind. It's not a firewall issue. My friend, a couple of others and myself can manually use the links in a browser to retrieve the files that way.
  • Both mine and my friend's clients are using stock settings, which do allow the downloading of content from other servers in the master list. It's just my server that is misbehaving.
  • The server works, otherwise, and it has been used by a good few people across the world with completely different set-ups.
  • Occasionally, the downloading bar in the loadscreen to the server lingers long enough to read it; it will either flash and disappear, or it will show what files it is trying to get, but will be a full bar with question marks instead of download speeds.
  • I know the mapdownload.txt file mentions one other option, but I've no intention of coding just to get over this, nor do I have much confidence that it would work, anyway.
Any help would be appreciated. I can't think where I might've missed something.

The pk3 name is appended to that setting's URL, so if your map is served at http://mymaps.com/dl/dance.pk3, your default URL would be "http://mymaps.com/dl/" with the slash at the end.
Also, it doesn't support HTTPS.

For custom content packages you've created yourself, you'll need to include a .serverpackage file at the top level of the pk3. This file can't be empty, so you could put your credits or something inside it.
It's usually good practice to name it after the pk3, so zzz-weaponsounds_02.pk3 would contain zzz-weaponsounds_02.pk3.serverpackage.
[Image: 230.png]

(05-22-2018, 07:59 PM)Mario Wrote: The pk3 name is appended to that setting's URL, so if your map is served at http://mymaps.com/dl/dance.pk3, your default URL would be "http://mymaps.com/dl/" with the slash at the end.
Also, it doesn't support HTTPS.

For custom content packages you've created yourself, you'll need to include a .serverpackage file at the top level of the pk3. This file can't be empty, so you could put your credits or something inside it.
It's usually good practice to name it after the pk3, so zzz-weaponsounds_02.pk3 would contain zzz-weaponsounds_02.pk3.serverpackage.

Alright, I've done as you've said to. My default url is http://##.###.###.####/server/, including the slash, and after that are the direct .pk3s. All of the .pk3s now contain a serverpackage file that matches their name and has some form of text content inside; most of them indeed did not and as you say, the one file that I personally made, well...there was never any pointers to do that.

This time, I get blank files still and black maps, but I sit having to stare at the downloading bar again with 0 estimated download speed. It'll sit there for about thirty seconds before loading in, progressively eliminating each listed file. Whereas before it was only downloading one or two files, appropriately named, it is now downloading all of them, albeit at 0KB each.

I'll try the curl_urls.txt again now that I know the .pk3s needed the serverpackage things, see how that turns out.

Update:
The above steps didn't work.

One file downloaded fully and properly, but it was neither listed as a map to be used in the .cfg for the server nor one usable for the game mode specified. Furthermore, the other files in the exact same directory went ignored, despite being required.

Update 2:
I've managed to get it working with the curl_urls.txt. There were no pointers in the original documentation regarding how to use it properly, and one can only assume that someone with enough prior knowledge would manage it without piggybacking on someone else's knowledge (which I did).

You should not add a ".serverpackage" file to every pk3, only to packages that contain textures, sounds and other assets that are not map specific. Maps don't need a ".serverpackage" file, the clients will download them on demand

(05-24-2018, 07:46 AM)Freddy Wrote: You should not add a ".serverpackage" file to every pk3, only to packages that contain textures, sounds and other assets that are not map specific. Maps don't need a ".serverpackage" file, the clients will download them on demand

Noted, thanks. The file I've made does include sounds that aren't map-specific, however. I did wonder why maps in links like Xonotic.co didn't readily include .serverpackages. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Setup Dedicated Server to DL from Map Server mrhip 1 441 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [NEED HELP] setting up server with custom maps le Bork 2 2,948 01-31-2019, 01:06 PM
Last Post: morosophos
  [NEED HELP] Custom Weapons 3agle427 2 2,419 01-26-2019, 11:19 PM
Last Post: 3agle427
  [NEED HELP] Custom Weapons 3agle427 0 1,476 01-15-2019, 09:55 PM
  [NEED HELP] Custom Weapons 3agle427 0 1,700 12-30-2018, 01:39 PM
  [NEED HELP] Custom Game Modes 3agle427 2 3,212 12-29-2018, 07:34 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server Not Showing Up on Server Browser Antares* 5 4,248 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [NEEDS INFO] Custom map - Host Error: Mod_MAP_Mode: not yet implemented teratorn 6 5,205 03-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [SOLVED] Can't See Custom User Models/Textures Deathsbreed 4 3,739 05-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Deathsbreed
  [SOLVED] Trouble with .8 and map downloads kuedan 18 16,025 02-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Last Post: kuedan