Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Custom Music Folder

It would be awesome if players could load their own music (ogg, mp3, flac, etc) in Xonotic to override map defaults. I love the default tracks on Nex 2.5.2, but would love to include my own music.

I'm sure that it is already possibly to simply paste over the old music files with your own, but I'm suggesting an in-game menu to load your own folders, files, and select whether or not you want to include them with the default tracks, override the default tracks, and whether or not they are shuffled and repeated.
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

DP only supports ogg for now, but nothing prevents you from turning off the game music and play your music in software made for this purpose :x
Adding support for other formats would be painful and useless.

You can convert your mp3 tracks to ogg and put them in xonotic-music.pk3dir/sounds/cdtracks/ and then play them in game with cdtrack <number>.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Roanoke Wrote:You can convert your mp3 tracks to ogg and put them in xonotic-music.pk3dir/sounds/cdtracks/ and then play them in game with cdtrack <number>.

Needs moar auto-conversion script called by DP on load. Even if that meant having ffmpeg :/

And a shiny cdtrack interface might be nice Smile
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Meh, I see a lot of feature creep in the suggestions those days... Tell me, what is wrong with using a separate music player?

What would be better, is to use some kind of external player, that we can control from the game.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

That's a more reasonable idea Tongue
We can't let users execute shell commands from the DP console, that would be a huge security breach. But somebody could code a daemon that listens on a local UDP port, and DP can send text over UDP with the "packet" command (that would be if you REALLY want inter process communication in DP)
But you can also register global shortcuts in your player, and use them ingame (that's what I do)

Mr. Bougo Wrote:Meh, I see a lot of feature creep in the suggestions those days... Tell me, what is wrong with using a separate music player?

Would a bit of shared memory and a plug-in on the music player side really hurt? It would be easier and more accessible than a hand written packet IPC system, too Tongue

Also alt-tab sucks, which afaik is unfixable with SDL Sad
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Who said anything about alt-tab?
And I don't know how tedious it would be to support IPC for all OSes, AND having easy support from music players on all platforms... I would not want to change my player because it doesn't support communication with DP.

For global OS shortcuts to work, I think vid_fullscreen must be disabled... I know that on linux, WM-managed fullscreen lets you use media keys and such to interact with the music player. (I'm talking GLX there, I never use SDL so I wouldn't know)
EDIT: for linux still, divVerent tried to fix fullscreen capturing with the vid_netwmfullscreen cvar, might want to test it. In my WinXP times, I remember playing fullscreen with working alt-tab.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,421 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Music louder than everything else unfa 12 12,922 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] postapocalyptic ambiance for maps and music _para 12 10,402 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Weapons and Music Tag_N_Bag 0 2,676 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Tag_N_Bag
  [SUGGESTION] Who's in charge here? / Music submission changes [=manimal=] 1 3,134 04-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: lda17h