Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My opinions of Xonotic.

Angel

Wow, thanks for helpful suggestions on how to improve it!
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

You're right fruitiex, I'll make some post changes.

I have to say posts like these aren't very motivating for devs (me included). First we poll you, the community if you want changes/are ok with the new balance, to which most answer yes. Later lots of people decide to suddenly show up and hate on everything, demanding us to throw 50% of all work put into the project away. WHY DIDN'T YOU ALL SHOW UP EARLIER, WHEN ALL THIS STUFF WAS BEING PLANNED? How the hell can we devs be expected to contact the community, other than through long posts that are pointless?

TL;DR, because long posts are pointless: fuck this shit Tongue

+1 to FruitieX

(09-03-2010, 03:43 PM)quadratic Wrote: It straight up sucks. Movement is borked, just like everything else.

And, don't even think about trying to change my mind. I'm sick of seeing devs and fanboys attempting to convince that the bullshit changes are for the better.

Anyway, long posts are pointless. Just wanted to give my two cents.

Edit: My recommendations: Keep everything how it was in Nexuiz 2.5.2 except for player models, weapon models and maps. :/

Cool. NOBODY CARES! Keep up with production, it's all rapidly changing anyways. What you say may be true today but it might not be tomorrow. Stupid.

Also, I'd like to give a big thanks to ALL the devs, because I know you all have put in a good hard amount of work. We all have.
Mapper.

I like what is happening to Xonotic. A lot.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(09-03-2010, 04:15 PM)FruitieX Wrote: I have to say posts like these aren't very motivating for devs (me included). First we poll you, the community if you want changes/are ok with the new balance, to which most answer yes. Later lots of people decide to suddenly show up and hate on everything, demanding us to throw 50% of all work put into the project away. WHY DIDN'T YOU ALL SHOW UP EARLIER, WHEN ALL THIS STUFF WAS BEING PLANNED? How the hell can we devs be expected to contact the community, other than through long posts that are pointless?

TL;DR, because long posts are pointless: fuck this shit Tongue

I voted no on that poll.

The more people that try out alpha Xonotic, the more opinions you're gonna receive.

Why wasn't I there during planning? Are you kidding? Some people aren't planners, they are testers. I don't plan and I don't code, but I sure can play the game and tell you whether it sucks or not.

Also, I let you know about my problems with Xonotic a long while back. :/

There has been no beta release.

Lesson No. 1: You can't please everyone.

Do what you think it best, and if it turns out shit change it afterwards!

But currently you are on the right track as far as it concerns me Smile

(09-03-2010, 08:01 PM)quadratic Wrote: I voted no on that poll.

Aaaannnnnnnndddddddd, because it's a poll, majority wins! Not "whatever button I selected wins"

^.^
Mapper.

I have to agree with some of what quadratic said, but in a more respectful manner. I do think that the movement is borked, and most of what I have seen in the alpha has, in my opinion, been a downgrade from Nexuiz 2.5.2. The player models are an improvement, but the movement, and most of the changes to the weapons functions have irritated me to no end. Like he said, I also believe it should be kept similar to 2.5.2, but with an obvious focus of graphical improvement. I do appreciate what the Devs are doing, Xonotic is a great thing. I just hope that my feedback will be of some use to the Devs!
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

I mean no disrespect to anyone involved in the development process. I'm just being blunt about the direction of Nexuiz/Xonotic.

Your post can be easily made helpful. Write *what* sucks and *why* does it suck. If you want to be really helpful - find a way *how* to fix it but only *after* *what* and *why*.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(09-04-2010, 12:57 AM)quadratic Wrote: I mean no disrespect to anyone involved in the development process. I'm just being blunt about the direction of Nexuiz/Xonotic.

There will likely be configs shipping with Xonotic that restore (at least nearly, shotgun secondary will still be melee) physics and weapons to the Nexuiz 2.5.2 defaults.

Anyway, the new physics are REALLY straightforward and much more simple than the 2.5.2 physics. Plus, they are strafebot proof. Basically all the tricks you need to know are:
- Hold W down to accelerate
- Hold A or D down and move your mouse to turn into that direction
In other words, never hold both W and A or W and D down at the same time. It's always better to turn just with either A or D + move mouse.

Guess I'll have to make a tutorial or something, if people would put 20 minutes of their time into this they'd already have gotten used to the physics and forget that they changed in the first place. (I for one couldn't even imagine playing with the Nex phys anymore, they are seriously weird compared to the new ones)

Well.. I'm on the side of quadratic. But not even such creepy Big Grin

I think, you developers do a good job! But I think, that the basic idea of xonotic isn't seen anymore.

Xonotic intended to be the successor of the 'fallen' Nexuiz. But when I see the first impressions now, its a new game which differs too much from the predecessor. A new game is not similar to bad. But in that case it is nothing than a quake clone. It should be more like nexuiz. A better Nexuiz, that is it, what the community wants, which you want to respond. So I can understand the annoyance of quadratic. I'm very disappointed too.

The devs do that, what they think it is right. But thats the same fault that made the nexuiz devs. They didn't hear the voice of the players..
... and sorry for my english! Big Grin

[Image: BBanner.jpg]

Quote:They didn't hear the voice of the players..
You don't seem to understand that there a lot of different players. For you 'the players' is you. You assume your opinion to be the 'players' opinion. I am a player too, since Nexuiz 1.5 thank you very much. How dare you speak on my behalf?

Quote:Xonotic intended to be the successor of the 'fallen' Nexuiz.
Yes, read your own sentence there. Successor is NOT a one to one copy with a different name! If you have been long enough in the Nexuiz days, you should know that EVERY major release contained major changes! If anything, the recent major changes are VERY Nexuiz like! What was your point again?

Quote:I'm sick of seeing devs and fanboys attempting...
and
Quote:I'm just being blunt
Then you might as well not post. What is the point here? Sabotaging the project? If you'd like things to change in a different direction, you'd know better than to make posts like these I hope!

PinkRobot has spoken.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

100 percent agree with...who was it....jngdwe. my english is just bad, i have to quote maybe.

but in my opinion, i think xonotic is a great idea and all you have done deserves much respect, but i cant play this game.
it looks like nexuiz but it feels wrong. we wanted to play a newer version of nexuiz but whats makes xonotic speacial at the moment?
you have a lot of good things really,but i cant deal with the movement. i know its strafing , but it feels so different and with your weapon settings its difficult to kill a good racerunner ^^in ctf. its not a big problem..
you need other changes...maybe a clansystem with highscores or ingame messages if someone did something great(ticker?tourneys everybody can read it online)...i know my ideas are coming late but ive thought people like u wanted to do something like that. maybe later? i have no idea.
in the end we need new players! it was my only wish in nexuiz cause it was almost dead and we had no tourneys.
thats why we needed something like a clansystem because new people have to see whats going on in the scene. otherwise they leave us instantly again like in nexuiz.

btw. xonotic is a great idea. its my only hope to play sth. like nexuiz against active and good players, but ur changes are not helping to reach another level of nexuiz.
srry again for my english ... its not exactly what ive wanted to say, but my vocabulary is limited Sad
and dont forget i have a lot of respect for your work , but i wish me other changes cause nexuiz gameplay was fun enough.

c-r
@pinkrobot: those major changes destroyed nexuiz. nexuiz made the same changes again and again and where are my new players?they play minsta cause they cant handle weapons and movement...its just a joke -.-
in every single patch we changed movement and weapons...why? u can make a different game but think about new changes. its always another feeling after those changes.

i can undestand u. its all fine for you, but for me its just nothing has changed after nexuiz.
maybe im wrong, but ive played this game yesterday a few hours with 4-5 other players. it was fun , cause we played CA, but it wasnt special for me. i can play the same mode in nexuiz with the same persons.

(09-04-2010, 04:42 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But in that case it is nothing than a quake clone.

In which way is it a quake clone?

(09-04-2010, 05:27 AM)PinkRobot Wrote:
Quote:They didn't hear the voice of the players..
You don't seem to understand that there a lot of different players. For you 'the players' is you. You assume your opinion to be the 'players' opinion. I am a player too, since Nexuiz 1.5 thank you very much. How dare you speak on my behalf?
I mean all players. Not me. -.-'
The voices who've been heard are voices of guy like kojn, fruit, and the all-knowing-bitch vaan (jlue). If you are a exceptional player then youre voice is important. Mainstream-Players are simply not important in the eyes of the forum-users and maybe the devs, you know what i mean?!

Example:
kojn says: Physics GAY))
*physics changed*
Mirio says: Physics GAY))
*shut up, stop spam*

I don't have the english-skills, that i can tell you what I mainly mean. I hope you still understand what i mean.

Quote:
Quote:Xonotic intended to be the successor of the 'fallen' Nexuiz.
Yes, read your own sentence there. Successor is NOT a one to one copy with a different name! If you have been long enough in the Nexuiz days, you should know that EVERY major release contained major changes! If anything, the recent major changes are VERY Nexuiz like! What was your point again?

The Electro for example. Its a cheap copy of the quake weapon. Where is the Nexuiz electro?
The laserjumps were an important part of nexuiz. Now i think you'll get problems getting in the top of soylent map Wink
And the movement... I don't know what to say bout this. It's simply too easy.
Changes arent bad, but why not changing the points who were criticized in 2.5.2? Now it's like a new game which is (I repeat it) a cheap copy of Q3!

(09-04-2010, 05:40 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: in every single patch we changed movement and weapons...why?

Because it was obvious that something was wrong! Nexuiz had millions of downloads, yet only playercounts peaking at 100 or so. PinkRobot, if you still have your stats, post here Big Grin

(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 04:42 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: But in that case it is nothing than a quake clone.

In which way is it a quake clone?

The gameplay, mainly the movement remembers a lot to quake. And what the fuck is the electro?!
The secondary fire is now nearly useles without the old primary fire. And the primary is copyed from (look above Tongue)

Nexuiz were faster gameplay than q3 imo.
Now it's Snailquake ._.'

Sorry if my statements are a little bit overdressed. It's not exactly ment how I say it, and I can only aggree to c-r's sentence, that said:
Quote:and dont forget i have a lot of respect for your work , but i wish me other changes cause nexuiz gameplay was fun enough.
and the other:
Quote:srry again for my english ... its not exactly what ive wanted to say, but my vocabulary is limited Sad
*gg*

(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: And the movement... I don't know what to say bout this. It's simply too easy.

I'm a long time fan of CPMA-like physics which are extremely difficult compared to these.

Yet I don't find the Xonotic physics too easy or boring in any way. Can you move around stormkeep at a stable speed of 800 units per sec? If not, you have no right to say that they are too easy Wink

(09-04-2010, 06:10 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: And the movement... I don't know what to say bout this. It's simply too easy.

I'm a long time fan of CPMA-like physics which are extremely difficult compared to these.

Yet I don't find the Xonotic physics too easy or boring in any way. Can you move around stormkeep at a stable speed of 800 units per sec? If not, you have no right to say that they are too easy Wink

Well.. I think so.. didn't try it really.
Maybe there arent really 'too easy'.. but its boring.
The Nexuiz physics was a lil bit diversified. But now its.. Gnaah! LAME! xD

(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The gameplay, mainly the movement remembers a lot to quake.
May I ask you exactly how it reminds you of quake? In Quake3 you gain speed by strafejumping, which doesn't even exist in the new Xonotic physics. Here you gain speed by holding forward. In the default Quake3 physics there's almost no aircontrol, so you can barely turn, which is very easy and straightforward in Xonotic

(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: And what the fuck is the electro?!
The secondary fire is now nearly useles without the old primary fire. And the primary is copyed from (look above Tongue)
You're right, Q3 also had a lightning gun. But did Q3 have a lightning gun with electro blobs that you could shoot around to cause more damage?
They are seriously NOT useless, you are using them wrong if you think that.

(09-04-2010, 06:09 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: Nexuiz were faster gameplay than q3 imo.
Now it's Snailquake ._.'
Xonotic physics are faster than the Nexuiz physics, they are just different.

Quote:srry again for my english ... its not exactly what ive wanted to say, but my vocabulary is limited Sad
No problem, I understand you perfectly well. I've seen much worse during the years I've spent on Internets Wink

(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The voices who've been heard are voices of guy like kojn, fruit, and the all-knowing-bitch vaan (jlue). If you are a exceptional player then youre voice is important. Mainstream-Players are simply not important in the eyes of the forum-users and maybe the devs, you know what i mean?!

It was iirc divVerent that (rightfully) set the goal for strafebot proof default physics. From there "me and kojn" improved them (at least IMO), so yes, only our voices were heard because nobody else did anything.
(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The Electro for example. Its a cheap copy of the quake weapon. Where is the Nexuiz electro?
Similarly I could state that the Nexuiz electro primary was a cheap copy of the Quake 3 rocket launcher (cheap in terms of damage Wink), because that's pretty much what it was.

(09-04-2010, 06:03 AM)BizzyBeaver Wrote: The laserjumps were an important part of nexuiz. Now i think you'll get problems getting in the top of soylent map Wink
I have no problems laserjumping up to the roof of soylent. You do know that the timing for laserjumps is slightly different in Xonotic, so try again by jumping first, THEN instantly shooting the laser and not the other way around like in Nexuiz. (behavior there was just illogical).