Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is anyone really working on singleplayer?

I know a lot of people have talked about it ( examples: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...se_to_home http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...making+map http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=81&page=1 ) but is any one actually, truly doing it? I see nothing about its development, just some lore that isn't really for sure. Or is it? Can someone please fill me in on the state of the singleplayer mode as a whole? Or does no one really know?

In development or not, I imagine it's taking the back seat to standard multiplayer development.

(09-07-2010, 06:58 PM)shoeberto Wrote: In development or not, I imagine it's taking the back seat to standard multiplayer development.

And that it should. But that wasn't the question.

Heyy! I was one of the first ones who started to talk about singleplayer! in the beginning everyone was talking about it... but then for a time noone cared Sad
But now it's a hot topic again! I hope we can get a nice singleplayer in Xonotic!

At the moment I don't know one, who's working on the singleplayer, because the teams are formed now!
Maybe you saw the thread where it was all discussed a few days ago!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I did! I wanted to get together all the writers and put my concepts together with them, but when I saw http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...se_to_home I kinda wtfed. I personally think that is too generic to be a great singleplayer concept. I have a few things I still want to mull over myself, but I think I have themes and basic concepts put together just enough to give the story feeling, but blank enough that I still need community support (which is good). Any idea what is up with that wiki post, though? Is that "official" or just something an overly enthusiastic Xonotic community member added?

I saw that, too! but I think it isn't the concept! It's not official! Yes I think it's something an "enthusiastic Xonotic community member" added!
MY NOOB STATS:

Thanks ^-^. That's what I needed to know. It seems like I may spearhead some of the single player things then, if there's no one to argue. I may not be a coder, but I'm a writer. Maybe if we can get a few key people...

a writer Big Grin
another writer Big Grin
...like me
MY NOOB STATS:

Sweet ^_^. Well, first things first: get recognized by the community so that maybe we could do something fairly organized XD. Check out http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=944 . Hopefully a few higher up people read it. Of course, the singleplayer could crash and burn, but this would give me just a little bit more hope...

(09-07-2010, 09:59 PM)MANERS Wrote: Sweet ^_^. Well, first things first: get recognized by the community so that maybe we could do something fairly organized XD. Check out http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=944 . Hopefully a few higher up people read it. Of course, the singleplayer could crash and burn, but this would give me just a little bit more hope...

I could probably help very much with single player but I've been super busy with life in general lately. So, I'll just lend a tip of advice: Hopping on the development channel in IRC can help you guys get organized/get attention and help from others. That's #xonotic on quakenet.org. Just trying to help ^.^
Mapper.

(09-07-2010, 10:21 PM)Moo Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 09:59 PM)MANERS Wrote: Sweet ^_^. Well, first things first: get recognized by the community so that maybe we could do something fairly organized XD. Check out http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=944 . Hopefully a few higher up people read it. Of course, the singleplayer could crash and burn, but this would give me just a little bit more hope...

I could probably help very much with single player but I've been super busy with life in general lately. So, I'll just lend a tip of advice: Hopping on the development channel in IRC can help you guys get organized/get attention and help from others. That's #xonotic on quakenet.org. Just trying to help ^.^

Thanks ^-^. I'll check it out when I have the time.

The single player mode should work in roughly the same balance (plus faction specific modifiers, if needed) as multiplayer. Otherwise, it's simply a different game and has not much to do with Xonotic.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

If your hoping for more non linear singleplayer game here is a start. http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=908
This could be eveloved into single player for xonotic where you are a space mercenary fighting for various people. Earning points or money and unlocking missions to new areas, while telling a story.
Game could consist of "walking around town" mode, talking to people, finding missions, and fighting mode where you battle opponets in certain locations much the same as multiplayer.

This way we can use existing multiplayer maps for single player as well as add a non linear game which actully has a story.

This type of single player would be the easiest to work on in a comunity in my opion. So we dont have to create a bunch of linear maps basically from scratch!!!
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

here is a concept me MrBougo and divVerent were talking about today Smile As an example:

In "town area"- talk to solider - "there’s 2 asshole Gak's with nex's trespassing in the glow-plant, kill them untill they run out of Nano regenerations (respawns) and ill give you this muscles reassembler kit (+1 HP per second)" (glow arena 1v2 dm). To win must reach 20 kills.
of cource singleplayer like maps can be used also like - talk to man - "clear out all of the zombies out of the basement and ill give u this amour attachment (+5 AR)"
or even - talk to woman- "OOO NO! my robo dog just ran away can you get it for me! If you succeed I will help you fight some battles!" (woman helps you fight in 2v2 battles, if you win the race match in 60 seconds)"

https://docs.google.com/drawings/edit?id...y=CMbWmcgL

feel free to edit the flow chart
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

Firstly I just gotta say... What a pathetic woman who needs help finding a robo dog but yet she can be in hot, intense battles with gore and whatnot, schizofrenic? :p

Anyway, I have no problem with non-linearity like that with missions and whatnot. But I am against just basically bringning multiplayer into singleplayer, meaning, just simple deathmatches and CTF and whatnot. That's not what a singleplayer is and people are just kidding themselves if the think otherwise. It's an 'arena' type of gameplay which really doesn't have much of a story to it.

All right, maybe we should just stop reffering singleplayer as such and start calling it story mode. As singleplayer can be anything, like offline deathmatches and all that crap. I guess I don't like the 'spawning' idea, once you're dead you're dead, game over, no second chances. That goes for enemies as well.
No Dragonball Z here where Cell blows himself up and regenerates. :p

For instance, CoD and Half-Life doesn't have respawns in singleplayer, but sure as hell in multiplayer. They still got a good story and singleplayer gameplay. It's doable folks, don't confine yourselves so much to the multiplayer game mechanics.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

(09-08-2010, 08:11 AM)Seijiro Wrote: For instance, CoD and Half-Life doesn't have respawns in singleplayer, but sure as hell in multiplayer. They still got a good story and singleplayer gameplay. It's doable folks, don't confine yourselves so much to the multiplayer game mechanics.

Do we really want Xonotic to be a singleplayer game with a side possibility of online multiplayer games?
I'd rather have the two equally important modes follow the same principles of gameplay instead of having a singleplayer RPG and a multiplayer FPS under the same name. I'd like to know what you're proposing if it's not that.

well the "story mode" I proposed makes use of work that is already complete, whereas what ur proposing Seijiro is we make a game like quake with linear gameplay?

Sure that would be great! but where are the enemies, maps, AI going to come from. It’s going to be a much harder game to make, being ridiculously annoying to collaborate with other mappers. Also Mappers would be waiting on modellers and then some good AI... And the the physics will have to be changed. I really see it being much harder than what i proposed. It offers developers the challenge of making some nice environments with traditional linear maps, while still providing maps that can be used as both MP and SP which would be very productive Smile

I'm not saying we shouldn't reuse maps, if possible that would be great. I'm also not saying we should have linear gameplay. I just want a bit different gameplay than current multiplayer style. Though keep in mind, I don't want to completely disregard the multiplayer gameplay. All mechanics would basically stay the same, the only major difference would be 'no spawning'. If you die or the enemy, they don't respawn. The physics, speed and all that would stay the same.
Cause honestly, if I want to play that kind of style I would go online. It's not as much fun playing against boring and mostly predictable bots in a simulated online experience if I can play the real deal.

But one more thing, it really cannot hurt having a normal story mode and isn't exactly like multiplayer. People would still play multiplayer as much, if anything, it would attract more people to download the game just to play singleplayer for those who like that.
I don't want the singleplayer to take focus off of multiplayer, in fact, I expect the opposite. I don't think many people would actually play it, but I still wanna do it. ^_^

@Cuinnton:
Well never said it would be easy or quick work. :p I know it would probably take years to do, that's why coders are very much needed. That's why I created a thread explaining what really is needed for such an endeavor, and I mentioned that project managers are very important.

In basic terms, I want something completely new based off of the multiplayer. Not a refined offline multiplayer mode. I do also believe such a feat would give some good publicity later on.
OH! And I also want to learn much more game development processes, guess why I'm trying to push so hard for something new.
I know there are tons of other groups out there who creates mods and games, but it's hard to distinguish the 'doomed' and 'successful' groups. :p Not saying this singleplayer will be successful, but it's something at least I would give my all to. ^_^
ai am ai.

Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

I agree with all said here: I do not want a "single player" but a "story mode". A full fledged universe based on the Xonotic art style, characters, weapons, and maybe a few existing / maps to keep the Xonotic feel. I DO NOT want a linear, mindless shoot 'em up. I DO NOT want a MMO style "Do this, you get this. Now do this, you get this." type game. I DO NOT want a tutorial (though there should be one, separate from the story mode). I DO NOT want arena-style combat (though a good few battles should be in the story mode, and there should be an offline arena style game option, with bots ).

The idea is to get Xonotic to evolve into not only a good game, but something that future open source communities can either idol or use our ideas and maybe make their own story mode(s).

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither will story mode. It will take the efforts of many to put together over the course of a year or more to get a full story mode put together. Even after that it could always be improved.

Let's talk about all we need and don't like when we start working on the story Wink
...Hope that will be soon!
MY NOOB STATS:

(09-08-2010, 03:17 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: Let's talk about all we need and don't like when we start working on the story Wink
...Hope that will be soon!

This is a community game. We decide when we start working on it XD. As I said, it seems that there isn't enough forum privacy (imo) to actually write, create, and discuss a story here. I would like our own forum (to at least get an organized proposal together to present to the community as a whole), but it looks like xonotic.org doesn't like that idea... Do you think I should make a forum on one of my sites to get things organized? Or do you think that's a bad idea?

Of course, once we get accepted as an actual part of the game we can move back to xonotic.org, but it seems like we need to get ourselves more organized and know what we want for sure before we can get it.

Any volunteer coordinators or project managers should step up and to organize things. Without them, this won't get far. They would even be in charge with trying to get a forum or section on these forums up and running. Basically trying to get the ball rolling and continue rolling. So this project starts the moment anyone is willing to take charge.
ai am ai.

(09-08-2010, 04:15 PM)Seijiro Wrote: Any volunteer coordinators or project managers should step up and to organize things. Without them, this won't get far. They would even be in charge with trying to get a forum or section on these forums up and running. Basically trying to get the ball rolling and continue rolling. So this project starts the moment anyone is willing to take charge.

I will take charge, I guess. I may have no knowledge of coding, but I know writing and quality control. I believe that the story and lore should be the basis of the story mode. Once we have that organized I can get a bit more help with putting people in charge of map making and character design, as well as coding. If I am going to take charge, I will be the only admin/leader for about a week or two, that way I can identify the key members and make them moderators and project leaders.

Anyone disagree with me doing taking charge, say it now. I promise I will do what's best for the story mode, and will get as much of the community involved as possible. But I will also take quality over quantity.

With that said, anyone who wants involved with the LORE AND PLOT of the story mode please PM me. Other parts will slowly be added in the future, and the plot will be slightly changed to fit the tech available at a later time. Again, that is only if you have no arguments against me (if only temporarily, until we get this presentable) taking charge.

Well... I thought of an Admin... but if you are good then it's no problem Wink
You will have to look after every part of the development!
I hope you have time enough for this in the future, too!
If you have the skills and knowledge you need to have it's nice but if not, then think of it twice!
You have to know what's possible for the engine and so on!

It's not that I don't like you, but I want a good project manager, you understand? Wink
MY NOOB STATS:

(09-08-2010, 06:55 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: Well... I thought of an Admin... but if you are good then it's no problem Wink
You will have to look after every part of the development!
I hope you have time enough for this in the future, too!
If you have the skills and knowledge you need to have it's nice but if not, then think of it twice!
You have to know what's possible for the engine and so on!

It's not that I don't like you, but I want a good project manager, you understand? Wink

I do. If you know someone, or want to do it yourself, that works too. A group of admins will be in the near future if I take the job, though. Truthfully, I don't have quite enough experience as I would like, but someone has to put their foot down eventually. From what I read on the forums, no one really has said "okay, let's do this. You get this done, you do this, and I'll do this." and, if that has been said, no one really did anything.

I already asked someone what the engine is capable of and what needs to be added. I have quite a few ideas to try to make this as easy on the coders as possible.

I also am almost done with getting an external forum up to work on.

But, as I said, my plan is for me to oversee beginning development. Hopefully we'll get the attention of some people with a lot of experience and are better qualified to lead, but, if not, I have the time and have always wanted to work on a game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic Singleplayer - Level 1 beaten in 0:35 Gouldron 0 1,547 05-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Gouldron
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,074 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL
Bug Does anyone actually use the laser alt-fire? W4RP1G 20 15,575 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Last Post: ==Troy==
  Do you REALLY need over 9000 FPS to play the game? Minkovsky 23 36,692 04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Inso
  Recording HD videos for anyone who needs them. infested999 0 2,491 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Last Post: infested999
  Does anyone have a download link for the Frozen Colors map? greasem0nkey 8 7,775 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Last Post: greasem0nkey
  Singleplayer - what do you think? ThePWTULN 17 16,136 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  What does game "depth" really mean? Duke 10 12,365 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM
  Singleplayer story: Priorities ThePWTULN 13 13,891 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: MANERS
  Is anyone still playing Nexuiz? MC SE7EN 43 44,053 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Agamalama