Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Assist points in game stats

Can we include a stat for assist. A assist is everyone who touches a flag that gets capped gets an assist. I hate pick up the flag and returning it 90% of the way, dying then a teamate caps all I lose points for dropped flag....GAH
<BARTUC> what is xonotic exactly ??
<Duelist> a nasty rash you get when the name of your FPS game community is ripped off by someone who's just been sitting idle for five years
<Duelist> the nasty rash that's making the rounds at Illfonic after they called their console game project Nexuiz. Better?

ah but i see you completely forgot about the most important thing. Satisfaction of a cap for your team Big Grin it is worth more than a thousand points Tongue
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

I agree. I feel the same Sparty.

I agree with sparty. And maybe a "TEAM CAP" announcer sound.

I'm not sure how this would work with code. Team cap announcer would be pretty simple I guess. If a dropped flag is recovered and capped then it would be announced.

Never mind, this shouldn't be too hard. If the flag is dropped yet not returned, there would be an assist value that becomes true until returned. Then false if returned. If dropped flag is ever recovered and capped then +1 to assist.

Why does it matter who caps it? since it is a team game you should be glad he capped it. Wink

Those aren't assists! Call them however you want (fcassists?), but assists mean something else in my mind.

What does it mean in your mind?

What would stop the whole team from passing the flag around a bunch of times to rack up extra points? I don't think it would work. Unless it was limited to 1 or 2 passes, it would be a point-fest.

later edit: What about a "Defense" point for killing an enemy in the vicinity of your FC?
Latest obsession.

It doesn't really matter about that BennyDacks. The scoring system is a cap based system anyway.

The whole point of stats are to reflect HOW a team accomplished winning, not deciding WHO won.

In other words, if Red team won a match, then how did each member on red team contribute to that win?

So I do think the assist points are a good idea because (in Sparty's scenario) the one player brought the flag 90% of the way so they played a major role in capping. There have been numerous discussions in the past about ways to score things in Nexuiz like assisting, defending base, protecting flag carrier, etc, but most of the ideas are very complicated to implement. Sparty's example is easy to implement, but there are other forms of "assisting" that would be difficult to score.

I changed the thread title to better reflect the topic. It was too vague.

BennyDacks Wrote:What would stop the whole team from passing the flag around a bunch of times to rack up extra points?

good point. I agree this may happen. I've seen such situations in other games, maybe not in CTF, but such cooperation just to get a higher score could ruin the game of your team.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

I don't see how it would be too hard to award the points only to the capper and the next to last carrier of the flag to prevent that issue.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

I don't really see anyone trying to do a point fest. It's just a few more points and points don't count for a CTF match, caps do. The only reason the points are there is as Doku said, to give an idea of how the overall team did.

(03-26-2010, 03:58 PM)Vael Wrote: I don't see how it would be too hard to award the points only to the capper and the next to last carrier of the flag to prevent that issue.

What about everyone else?

If you care about your own points stop playing CTF Tongue
If someone captures the flag then its an effort by the hole team - usually, in serious games.
So every defender, attacker (who killed the defender of the other team) have to get a point too.
Removing the "feature" that you lose points when you drop the flag would be better in my opinion.

Carrying the flag is indispensable in order to cap, but protection against pursuers is sometimes not necessary (we may never know, though). It's more important to reward the actual cappers than everyone else, and this is coming from somebody that never caps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick [SUGGESTION] Xonstat - additional stats in stats for more stats rad dj flimflam 3 4,398 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] XP system for stats cccxd 10 10,334 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Return points scaled to distance from the stand Kryten 20 21,050 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Roanoke