Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Steel Complex (UT2004 community map port)

This is an old community map for UT2004 which I play commonly with bots. Since I like it a lot, I thought to try and port it to Xonotic too. I tried to keep close to the details and make it as alike as possible to the original map. After 5 days of work, I have a version I can post.

I'm not really happy with how it came out... mostly because of the lightning, which was VERY problematic. The current version will be a bit over-bright and it's best to play it with bloom off. If someone can fix the lightning while getting the map to look like the original one, that would be appreciated, so feel free to do so and post an update. This map took a lot of effort so I don't plan to work on it again anytime soon.

Download, v1r4: link 1, link 2, original UT2004 map. You can also get it from the bsp autobuild page.

Screenshots, v1r1:
[Image: 00zt2c14gocnrno4tz_thumb.jpg] [Image: wcsk6hk4ucv3e5q5900b_thumb.jpg] [Image: t2ddpstspjfrv2na7nba_thumb.jpg] [Image: 4c8vvbpaygswwmwsn31_thumb.jpg] [Image: k7unfnyjafnzloziiad2_thumb.jpg]

Screenshots, v1r2:
[Image: tbjx9ozuhtai6ifyj3zh_thumb.jpg]

Screenshots, v1r4:

[Image: iv2aabp9dqj0f4xs24ht_thumb.jpg] [Image: 3zvrh1xm1m4t6shmsh_thumb.jpg] [Image: zm9zdirqe9n6fcyhfpib_thumb.jpg] [Image: 165esbc1u3l8m2av9xp_thumb.jpg] [Image: f21u9f200hghplp8pevm_thumb.jpg]

I wonder if you could make a port of DM-Rankin from UT2004 Mircea, imo that would rock Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Linking this map a lot! Great work. Tongue I would like some more moody lighting though.

I dont like it because the nex is way to powerful in such open maps
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(03-24-2012, 01:32 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Linking this map a lot! Great work. Tongue I would like some more moody lighting though.

Glad you like. The lightning was originally more moody, but making it look the same as the original map took a whole day of constant work, and I still didn't succeed. I hacked it with linear lights but it still looks bad. Eventually, I got tired and gave up and left it like this for the time being. The lightning needs to be fixed.

(03-24-2012, 01:52 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: I dont like it because the nex is way to powerful in such open maps

True. I ported the original item placement though, and don't plan to change that since I wanna keep the map like the original (I use Nex for UT's Lightning Gun). That platform isn't reached as often as other areas though (at least for me), so people might not always get the Nex.

Is this DM only?

(03-29-2012, 05:27 PM)evit Wrote: Is this DM only?

It has DOM and all other gametypes a DM map can have (like Afterslime g-23 and all others). No CTF or ONS because there are no bases.

Nice layout, no wonder this was a good map in ut2k4. I know you wanted to go for the original remake, but you could have added some more detail here and there, like trims on the sides etc.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Updated to v1r2, see the first post. This change includes better lighting (less bright and more accurate to the original map), fixed some collisions, and a few other small tweaks. Map is also available on GIT and autobuild now.

kojn^ what a coincidence. i started building DM-Rankin.
[Image: 10253.png]

(04-17-2012, 07:20 AM)GaryRoach Wrote: kojn^ what a coincidence. i started building DM-Rankin.

Any links? Would love to see this

I like the lighting changes you've made. Very nice... Smile

Updated the map to v1r3 today. I fixed a lot of problems... such as the bad collisions on crates, players being able to hide under the stairs or ramps, as well as updating the lighting to sRGB. Many other minor fixes were also done. Links updated in the first post.

well done MirceaKitsune Big Grin

It.s a nice map for some dm action - uploaded to server ... Cool

GreetZ Su

(02-06-2014, 06:09 PM)-maniac|Su- Wrote: well done MirceaKitsune Big Grin

It.s a nice map for some dm action - uploaded to server ... Cool

GreetZ Su

Thank you. Make sure to use the pk3 I posted however. The autobuild BSP server is acting strange and creating realtime lights for unknown reasons. Still trying to debug the problem.

(02-06-2014, 06:14 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: ... Make sure to use the pk3 I posted ...

For sure - I.ve followed the link you posted above Big Grin

You.ll find the map on (Prophets) DeathMatch Temple.

GreetZ Su

Sorry to post another update so soon, but I made a v1r4. It adds some rtlights to the map, which is now mandatory or every normal light entity is turned into a realtime light. While I was at it, I also improved the bot waypoints even further.

uploaded to server - again Tongue

GreetZ Su

I've uploaded this version to the DCC servers plain, CTF and pickup. I noticed that the barrels placed on that map
a) do not explode, and
b) overlap with map props near rocket launcher.

If you find some spare time, that's something that could still be fixed :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(02-10-2014, 04:47 AM)Halogene Wrote: I've uploaded this version to the DCC servers plain, CTF and pickup. I noticed that the barrels placed on that map
a) do not explode, and
b) overlap with map props near rocket launcher.

If you find some spare time, that's something that could still be fixed :o)

What do you mean by overlapping with map props? I didn't notice them intersecting any other geometry, except the crates they're placed near a little bit.

I don't think I plan to add explosive barrels otherwise. Maybe I will sometime though.

Well they are placed together with some of these non-crate props, that strange thing that looks as if it had a screw in it. They do overlap only a bit, but still an overlap is something that should be avoided as it simply looks bad and leaves an aftertaste of sloppy mapping (especially since it is easy to fix) :o)

Also since the barrels are explodable in some maps, people might expect them to be explodable here too, so I'd recommend to use different models (crates, whatever) and, for consistency, to use the barrels only when they are actually explodable. But it's of course fully up to you, just stating what I think is reasonable.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked Desert Factory Port to Xonotic Suggestions MathCubes 13 8,585 07-28-2018, 03:45 AM
Last Post: sev
  Reanimation of old Nexuiz-Maps -maniac|Su- 1 5,356 02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Lord Of The Moths (port of an UT2004 outdoor map) MirceaKitsune 8 12,143 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Last Post: node357