Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Map Repository Interface

So, since Samual isn't on IRC right now I'm going to post the idea here, and flesh it out a bit more.

Would it be possible to put a little button right below the map list on the Create tab. Something like "Get More Maps" or "Download More". It would pop up a little interface with a bunch of filtering options from gametype to suggested player sizes. Maybe even a "Certified Pro Mode" filter for tourny maps. Now, I know nobody wants to overload the xonotic server with serving a bunch of maps to a thousand twatbags who just want to click away at every map on the list so they can have everything and make their edong23's look bigger in their mind. So how about giving the servers on the master list an opt-in cvar to allow them to serve the maps. cvars to limit the bandwidth used and how many concurrent uploads as well so that it doesn't impact the server's performance.

The map list can either be cached or generated live from the servers that are currently available and serving maps. If cached, I would recommend a grey-out or notice that tells the player that the map is not currently available. Although that would suck hardcore so live is probably better. Maybe cached every hour or so?
[Image: optsig.png]

I really love this idea. My only concern is with people downloading maps with that feature, and then going into a server and having a map mismatch for whatever reason. That has happened to me and it's frustrating, although this seems to be the fault of the map makers who do not update the map pk3 titles with versions numbers. Idk if that was a fluke when it happened to me though, maybe this isn't even an issue anymore.

I think live map lists would be best, but if that's not possible, perhaps the map host would have some sort of document containing the available maps that the game could see.

Getting a map list with http download links from servers would require either full client connection or a change in the protocol. Neither of them are really feasible or practical.

It would be kind of complicated to do this ingame anyway. I'd suggest asking divVerent his cgi scripts and other tools he used to make his http nexuiz maplist. Then, it's up to the repository admins to set this up. Doing things in a webbrowser will be much more easy, convenient and maintainable than through the engine I think.

EDIT: Just FYI, maps are served through http, not through the game's UDP socket. That's for performance reasons, and for practicality in offsite map hosting.

W4RP1G: that issue is completely unrelated, if mappers can't package their maps it's their own fault. It already happens.

An easy hack: load the server browser, click a game to join, wait for the map to be downloaded, disconnect, then find the map in your dlcache. But is it good form to waste server bandwidth like this?

While this would be difficult to implement, there is a much bigger and more pressing issue with downloading maps which is the question that comes up about once a month: "how do I play maps that I have already played online?" (Answer, they're in your dlcache!) I think having the feature you outline would not fix this problem and would mean people would play a game online, decide they like a map, then download it using the same amount of bandwidth all over again!

Also with your proposal, where would we store the maps? Putting them in the Xonotic program directory is not possible on all systems due to permissions so can not be used. Without duplicating locations, the sensible place to put such maps would be the dlcache, so we arrive at the same problem again: "how do I load a map in my dlcache?" What would be needed to solve this is a dlcache map playing facility. This could be down in the Create window by using the current map selection panel as a pair of tabs. By default it would be on 'Xonotic maps' and by clicking a second tab called 'Downloaded maps', it would then generate a maplist. Implement this and I'm pretty sure it would pacify the need for a map download facility.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

be carful some things in the dlcache do not belong in the data dir ... for example ... maps that never finished downloading (quit xonotic early) will not play ... also I once had a thing that changed the mistanex model in my dlcache ... there are otherthings that arn't maps that end up in there

dlcache is isolated from data for security reasons. We can't autoload maps in dlcache because of that. And because QC can't load them manually or move them to data, this would need changes in the engine.

Also, joining a server doesn't get you the map you want, but the map that the server plays. And you don't need to wait for the map download to finish to disconnect from the server.

Could there be some sort of command that would make the game search the dlcache for maps? That would be pretty awesome, imo.

That would break dlcache's safety.

How about an in-game window for browsing dlcache content and deciding manually, whether to throw it into main data folder?

(05-25-2012, 01:24 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That would break dlcache's safety.

Ok, but couldn't someone then just turn that function off if things aren't working correctly? Also, would it be possible to have dlcache subfolders, like dlcache/maps that only the maps would download into?

If anything accessible from the xonotic terminal, the menu or the CSQC vm allows to set packages to be autoloaded, then dlcache's isolation is broken.

I don't know if it's there to protect the player from server admins / mappers / package creators with malicious intents from messing up the game, or if it's to avoid accidents due to loading files that interfer with the rest of the data. If it's the former, I don't think there is a way to manage dlcache from inside the game without breaking that safety.

Maybe just compile a mappack with the best maps that ppl can just download? It's a long time between releases so it's understandable that not many ppl want to wait for Xonotic 0.6+ to get more content. A one file download with most popular maps would pretty much fix this situation.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(05-26-2012, 10:24 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Maybe just compile a mappack with the best maps that ppl can just download? It's a long time between releases so it's understandable that not many ppl want to wait for Xonotic 0.6+ to get more content. A one file download with most popular maps would pretty much fix this situation.

That's a good idea, but unless all the maps meet the quality standards to be included in a release, it should be done by the community.

I wanted to make such a mappack last year (even got a nice map list from Mirio, it was his idea btw), but I had so much stuff on my head that I didn't get to do it. I wanted to do it the proper way with asking each mapper for permission, write a info file with map info, update the whole thing about once per month, etc... I'm not too good in getting things done :-P.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(05-26-2012, 10:24 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Maybe just compile a mappack with the best maps that ppl can just download? It's a long time between releases so it's understandable that not many ppl want to wait for Xonotic 0.6+ to get more content. A one file download with most popular maps would pretty much fix this situation.
I like this idea.

I think this is appropriate to include here as a support to keeping dlcache as it is.

HOCTF Wrote:<hoctf1> <DerpBulb> hey so i went to a server and all my graphix settings were reverted.
<hoctf1> <RAGEQUIT> YOUR SHIT IS HACKED
<hoctf1> <DerpBulb> my monitor is special and its murky with these settings. can someone suggest a remedy?
[Image: optsig.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [split] Map repository rocknroll237 32 25,375 11-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Map repository? end user 1 3,247 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] graphical interface for vcalls Rage_ATWM 55 59,043 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestion| more user friendly interface Ros 15 15,879 07-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to vote map, gametype and mutators after each map Exitium 13 20,338 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m